Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:13 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Do you know how they would prove they had been living with each other for 12 months previously as my son virtually does at the moment.
As far as i know they would have to be living together for the 12 months check out the link it explains it all
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...lationship.htm
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
As far as i know they would have to be living together for the 12 months check out the link it explains it all
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...lationship.htm
Thank you Baby75, I shall have a look at all the sites you have given me.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sorry not read the whole thread, but does his girlfriend want to come? Don't forget she would be leaving all she knows behind too. Have they been together long?

He is 19 and capable of making his own decisions. I know it's a toughy, but you must carry on with your plans, if they don't work out in the UK for him, then he will join you i guess.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Me and my husband were that age when we first met, this 'girl' could be your daughter-in-law one day and the mother of your grandchildren .

Are you sure that his desire to move to Oz is as strong as yours and could this be a time just to start letting go? - no matter how hard it is.

If he's dead set on staying because his girlfriend can't/won't move would you be prepared to stay to support him? if the answer is no could you, in all honesty, really ask him to give up someone very important to him allow you to move back to Australia?

Hope that she will be able to make the move over here, perhaps she has some pull from her own family preventing her from making the decision?
We had moved to Brisbane before and came back due to no work, my son did not want to come back but did.
When we were back all he said was how he would go back as soon as he had finished college and that if we didn't then he would.
He would talk with his brother about how they would go back together but now as time has gone by and he has found a girlfriend that he loves he says no, but he tends to change his mind a few times and i seem to get the feeling that deep down he does want to go.
But i couldn't spend my years feeling that he has separated from some one he loves, so my only option was to put to him was to bring her with us or her come over later.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Sorry not read the whole thread, but does his girlfriend want to come? Don't forget she would be leaving all she knows behind too. Have they been together long?

He is 19 and capable of making his own decisions. I know it's a toughy, but you must carry on with your plans, if they don't work out in the UK for him, then he will join you i guess.
Hi Nu-Shooz,They have been together for quite a while and the relationship has grown, it was not serious at first that is why we thought nothing of it, but just before Xmas my son did mention marriage.
I don't know if his girlfriend would go because we have not got that far down the line yet, and plus she lives at home with her mother and i don't know if she would want to leave her mum.
We have just mentioned to our son that if he came, then perhaps it could be an option she could come over too so they can stay together.
It is a very hard decision as we are a very close family, we have been everywhere and done everything together.

Last edited by ausi dream; Mar 27th 2008 at 10:15 am.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Nu-Shooz,They have been together for quite a while and the relationship has grown, it was not serious at first that is why we thought nothing of it, but just before Xmas my son did mention marriage.
I don't know if his girlfriend would go because we have not got that far down the line yet, and plus she lives at home with her mother and i don't know if she would want to leave her mum.
We have just mentioned to our son that if he came, then perhaps it could be an option she could come over too so they can stay together.
My daughter didn't want to leave her boyfriend either, but she did and now she is back in UK again. At least she tried. But i suppose loves young dream will prevail.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ill do my best my brother is on the working holiday visa in Australia now very easy to get and comes back very quick as well here is a link explaining all about it and application form.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work.../417/index.htm

the harvest trail basically you spend 3 months working on farms fruit picking veg picking , sheep etc you don't have to do the 3 months all together in one go they just have to be completed before the first whv is up here is a link showing what types you can do and were http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail...aspx?State=QLD
you have to have a form completed as proof you have completed the work
my brother is doing this to stay the extra year as far as i know it is hard work and better to do in the cooler weather you wont get rich on the pay but free accommodation and usually make great friends

another option would be finding work and the employer sponsoring her to work for them then she would be able to stay in Australia and as far as i know then eventually apply for pr some one else will know more on that

or a spouse visa here is a link explaining it http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...01/index.htm#a
from what i can see with this visa your son would be the sponsor but he has to be an # Australian citizen # an Australian permanent resident
to be able to do this here is the link explaining the eligibility
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...ty-defacto.htm
your son and his girlfriend have to be in a relationship for 12 months before applying for visa
I hope that help Niamh
Baby75, my son is an Australian permanent resident and i should think that they have been together for just coming up 12 months very soon, so perhaps this would be another option for us.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

My daughter didn't want to leave her boyfriend either, but she did and now she is back in UK again. At least she tried. But i suppose loves young dream will prevail.
If you don't mind me asking how old was your daughter then? and going by things i take it you are still in Au's.
Did your daughter not contemplate bringing her boyfriend over to Au's?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:37 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Baby75, my son is an Australian permanent resident and i should think that they have been together for just coming up 12 months very soon, so perhaps this would be another option for us.
Yep as long as they have been living together for the 12 months and have proof of attending weddings for example bills and all that stuff to make sure you can go down that road it might be better for her to get the whv for the first year then apply for the defacto so in that time they could have the same address may be a joint bank account makes things easier and may be have a bill coming out of it
here is a link to another thread about that type of visa http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524393

hope im not confusing you with all the links
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:37 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we are leaving my 19 year old son he has a long term girlfriend he was quite angry with us for a while but I pointed out to him that he has the choice to come he chose to stay therefore he must support himself.
when he was an apprentice we agreed to continue to support him from oz but he gave that up so has been told at 19 he's a grownup and if he needs us we are on msn and skype.

He is happier now but we have emphasised it is his choice and we love him we are not leaving him he is leaving home!!

he is adamant he wont come to Oz even for a holiday but i'm hoping he will change his mind at some point
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep as long as they have been living together for the 12 months and have proof of attending weddings for example bills and all that stuff to make sure you can go down that road it might be better for her to get the whv for the first year then apply for the defacto so in that time they could have the same address may be a joint bank account makes things easier and may be have a bill coming out of it
here is a link to another thread about that type of visa http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524393

hope im not confusing you with all the links
No not confusing, just had a look at the other links that you gave me and printed them off so i can go through them, they are very helpful.
I feel a little bit better about things knowing that there are some options open to us.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:54 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

We had the same problem with my nearly 19 year old daughter.Her boyfriend has decided now to come over when he finishes his last bit of his course(he is a type of electrician) then they are going travelling for a year and hopefully he can get sponsored then by an employer so he can stay.My daughter is then going to go to Uni over there.
We have been really lucky in that he could see what a fab opportunity it was for my daughter and he wanted her to take that.
I am just hoping it all turns out as planned but they are both so excited at the minute.We fly out 13th May and he flys out 23rd August so all being well it will be fine.
Good luck to you all in a simular position.
Janice.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:54 am
Account Closed

If you don't mind me asking how old was your daughter then? and going by things i take it you are still in Au's.
Did your daughter not contemplate bringing her boyfriend over to Au's?
God, she was only 14...she stayed 18 months then went bk to UK...she is now 16 and still with the same guy!

He never had any intentions of coming to OZ. He is 18 and goes to Uni in Leeds and also plays for Bradford Bulls rugby team, so wasn't going to give that up. Hope they both do well. Yes we are still in Perth, but are planning to go back to UK this year.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asher
Hi we are leaving my 19 year old son he has a long term girlfriend he was quite angry with us for a while but I pointed out to him that he has the choice to come he chose to stay therefore he must support himself.
when he was an apprentice we agreed to continue to support him from oz but he gave that up so has been told at 19 he's a grownup and if he needs us we are on msn and skype.

He is happier now but we have emphasised it is his choice and we love him we are not leaving him he is leaving home!!

he is adamant he wont come to Oz even for a holiday but i'm hoping he will change his mind at some point
Oh please you have brought tears to my eyesi feel that by doing that i would be saying "right we are going and you go and get on with it".
I would feel like i was deserting my son, i know he is my eldest and there will be a time when they leave home but its because of what we are doing that is pushing him away.
We are a very close family and i feel that things are getting in between us, as he has been giving us such a hard time since Christmas knowing that we are serious and close to going back to Au's.
He too gave up an apprenticeship at christmas time, and is finding it hard to secure jobs and that is why we worry so much as to if he would be able to support himself or both of them if he stayed behind.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

God, she was only 14...she stayed 18 months then went bk to UK...she is now 16 and still with the same guy!

He never had any intentions of coming to OZ. He is 18 and goes to Uni in Leeds and also plays for Bradford Bulls rugby team, so wasn't going to give that up. Hope they both do well. Yes we are still in Perth, but are planning to go back to UK this year.
Well i think she has done very well to be able to do that. When she stayed did she stay with family?
When you say you are planning to come back to the UK is that to visit or for good, and if for good can i ask why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.