Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

This is a very hard one, since way before Christmas we have been trying to convince our 19yr old son to return to aus with us, but he has been changing his mind from week to week as he has a steady girlfriend. Asking the question on if he would go again as we are close to tying things up, he has said no due to the fact that he does not want to leave his girlfriend.
But as my son has put to me that he knows he cant support himself entirely on his own at this moment in time and would probably have too (i am not entirely sure when it comes to getting on that plane).
I would not want to separate them as i can see that it is quite a serious thing and would break my heart if i had separated my son from his one love.
WHAT DO WE DO?
I have put it to my son that if it was such a serious thing (which we think it is) then it could be possible that she could come over too. Perhaps not at the time of leaving but later.
But to be honest i don't know if that is possible and how you would go about doing that, and what the process we would need to do.
Please Any Help.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HELP SON WONT GO WITHOUT GIRLFRIEND

Can the girlfriend get a working holiday visa? If so then she could come over for up to a year and be able to work.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

i left my 19year old behind at uni (fending for himself ). he also has a wonderful girlfriend who he is crazy about and i know the only way he will come here permanantly after uni is with her. BUT he is 19 and if he chooses not to come than that is his decision. At 19 years old they are old enough to make the choice for themselve, even though it may not be what we want
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Can the girlfriend get a working holiday visa? If so then she could come over for up to a year and be able to work.
I did think about that, but what happens if she cant find work as thats the reason we had to come back the last time.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daunted
i left my 19year old behind at uni (fending for himself ). he also has a wonderful girlfriend who he is crazy about and i know the only way he will come here permanantly after uni is with her. BUT he is 19 and if he chooses not to come than that is his decision. At 19 years old they are old enough to make the choice for themselve, even though it may not be what we want
That is what we are giving him THE CHOICE, but deep down i get the feeling that he would come if he had not got this serious relationship, and that is why i am posting on this forum to try to find out if there is a way to help my son as i do not want to leave him behind or not go on the aspects of not finding all the options open to him and us.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausi dream
That is what we are giving him THE CHOICE, but deep down i get the feeling that he would come if he had not got this serious relationship, and that is why i am posting on this forum to try to find out if there is a way to help my son as i do not want to leave him behind or not go on the aspects of not finding all the options open to him and us.
I'll move this into the Immigration forum where you are more likely to get suggestions of possible routes for the girlfriend to get to Aus....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

We are having the same trouble at the moment and I was thinking of the working visa for my daughters Boyfriend! as he wants to come with us also! just hope his parents are ok with this, not spoke to them as yet!

bluekipper
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

That must be so hard for you. I guess as he is 19 then he has to make his own decisions.

Could you suggest that the girlfriend follows you over a bit later on a working holiday visa.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Out of interest, what happens when the working holiday visa runs out?

Would he then be able to get her on the visa via defacto? Or would she have to return home?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluekipper
We are having the same trouble at the moment and I was thinking of the working visa for my daughters Boyfriend! as he wants to come with us also! just hope his parents are ok with this, not spoke to them as yet!

bluekipper
Sorry to hear that. You see my son is saying that he wont come and will forfeit every thing to be with his girlfriend . So we would like to find away round this so he doesn't loose this one chance in life to move to aus.
And plus i don't think my husband and i could leave him behind.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll move this into the Immigration forum where you are more likely to get suggestions of possible routes for the girlfriend to get to Aus....
Thank you pollana.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeresaG
That must be so hard for you. I guess as he is 19 then he has to make his own decisions.

Could you suggest that the girlfriend follows you over a bit later on a working holiday visa.
Did think about that, problem there is don't know any thing about working visas and if she was unable to get work then what happens then and what to do when the working visa ends.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Did think about that, problem there is don't know any thing about working visas and if she was unable to get work then what happens then and what to do when the working visa ends.
She'll get work. If she's prepared to do jobs like waitressing, cafe, bar work. Office admin/reception etc. Not well paid work, but it would be something to give her a taste of the Aussie lifestyle.

She could then get a working holiday visa for NZ, and do the same there. Boyf could spend time with her in NZ.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:57 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I agree a working holiday visa would be the best thing for her and i cant see how she wouldn't get work once she is willing and able like Ozzy doc said
if she wanted to stay for the extra year she could do the 3 month harvest trail hey could both do that and get a bit of traveling test their relationship as well Then she would have to either get sponsored to stay or de facto visa I dont know how long you have to be together for that but i do know you have to off shore when it is issued then NZ would come in handy or else back to UK
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi,

Sorry that I can't help but at the end of the day young love is extremely important to the younger ones.

I can just about remember being that age and was with my boyfriend who is now my husband and has been for 17 yrs. He will do what he wants so all you can do is give him the options.

Good luck and I do hope that he will come to a decision that you can all live with.

Kind regard Lou xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.