Help required

Old Mar 9th 2003, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

chrismcculloch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help required

Hi every one
We went out to Australia in January for the month, and since returning are making steps to apply to migrate. Trouble is there are so many questions?????
Q How much does an application cost
Q If its refused how much will we be out of pocket
Q How long does an application take
Q If accepted how long do we have before we have to get out there ( husbands in the navy & has to give a years notice)
Q How much tax and NI do you pay in Oz (I know th GST tax is 10% as opposed to our VATat 17.5%
Q How does my 24 year old daughter stand as she cant come with us as a dependant (she has just had 7 months out there on a years working visa which runs out end May 03)
Q Where are the best area's for schooling, work etc.
Soooooo many questions.
We went from Sydney up to the Gold Coast by car then flew to Cairnes so we have seen nothing of the West Coast

Can any one help

Confused

Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help required

Originally posted by chrismcculloch

Hi every one
We went out to Australia in January for the month, and since returning are making steps to apply to migrate. Trouble is there are so many questions?????
Q If accepted how long do we have before we have to get out there ( husbands in the navy & has to give a years notice)
Q How much tax and NI do you pay in Oz (I know th GST tax is 10% as opposed to our VATat 17.5%
Q How does my 24 year old daughter stand as she cant come with us as a dependant (she has just had 7 months out there on a years working visa which runs out end May 03)
Soooooo many questions.
We went from Sydney up to the Gold Coast by car then flew to Cairnes so we have seen nothing of the West Coast

Can any one help

Confused

Chris
Hi Chris,

I can probably help with a few of your queries. My husband is in the Navy too as a Chief Tiff. What does your hubby do? Depending on his trade/skills you will need to make an application to have his skills assessed. This can be quite time consuming. We had to apply to the TRA and you would not believe the amount of detail they require. We have used a migration agent based in Australia who is charging $2000 for the whole application. Skill assessment fees (eg TRA is $360 or $595 for fast track), visa application fee of $1745, medicals and police checks are on top.

One point you must be aware of (which we have only just found out about) is that there is a new Aus policy not to grant a visa to a member of a foreign armed force until they have a Discharge Certificate. In other words you can apply for a visa while your hubby is still in the Navy BUT if he's still in the Navy when they get to visa grant your application will be refused. This is a problem for us because my husband is 45 next year but isn't due out until Nov 2005. He won't give notice 'cos he'd lose too much on his pension. We're trying to see if the RAN will offer him a job which would be a way round this problem...Processing currently takes 10-12 months on average.

Once your visa's granted then you have a year to validate your visa from the earliest in time of either your medicals or police checks.

Don't know the answers to your other questions I'm afraid.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nicstids

Thanks for your reply.
My hubby is a Chief MEM (wonder if they know each other) but due to a sports injury is currently downgraded. He is the 2nd year of 2OE 10 at the mo. We have investicagted the RNA but due to the injury which looks as though it will stop him going to sea, the RNA (in their words) reckon he dont stand a guernsey with them.
So its the good ole skills assesment by the looks.
A costly way to go about it mind, Ive worked it out to be about £2500 total depending on no visa no charge etc. and I dont know if the visa is refused if the $1745 is refundable.
I understand after 45 you cannot apply on the skilled migrants visa, and I do know the RNA go on time left in the RN, this from one of the e-mails we received from DFRO.
Anyway thanks for your help and if we can help each other regards any other info.

Cheers Chris

Last edited by chrismcculloch; Mar 9th 2003 at 5:42 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

The application money is not refundable regardless, however some agents charge their fees on a no visa, no fee basis.

Have you downloaded the free skilled independant booklet and loads of info off www.immi.gov.au

It's the the place to start to see if you are eligible.

Mash...

Hi Nicstids

Thanks for your reply.
My hubby is a Chief MEM (wonder if they know each other) but due to a sports injury is currently downgraded. He is the 2nd year of 2OE 10 at the mo. We have investicagted the RNA but due to the injury which looks as though it will stop him going to sea, the RNA (in their words) reckon he dont stand a guernsey with them.
So its the good ole skills assesment by the looks.
A costly way to go about it mind, Ive worked it out to be about £2500 total depending on no visa no charge etc. and I dont know if the visa is refused if the $1745 is refundable.
I understand after 45 you cannot apply on the skilled migrants visa, and I do know the RNA go on time left in the RN, this from one of the e-mails we received from DFRO.
Anyway thanks for your help and if we can help each other regards any other info my e-mail add is [email protected]

Cheers Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 4:57 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi every one
Soooooo many questions.

Can any one help

Confused

Chris

A good start would be to read
http://www.immi.gov.au/
Then download the booklets as they're free now [you lucky sods]
That will give you a good insight into what is required legally immigration wise.
The rest you will pick up from the good folk on here some have waited ages and are full of good ideas, others will give you an insight into the pitfalls problems and downsides to life there once the holiday feeling wears off. All in all a good read and better than the soaps on tv.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by mashiraz
The application money is not refundable regardless, however some agents charge their fees on a no visa, no fee basis.

Have you downloaded the free skilled independant booklet and loads of info off www.immi.gov.au

It's the the place to start to see if you are eligible.

Mash...

Cheers Mash
Yes weve downloaded that but unfortuanatly we are still unsure what skill we can apply under as the armed forces work completly different to civi street.
But thanks any way, does that mean the visa fee of $1795 is payable weather you get a visa or not???? I can understand the assement, medical and police reports not being refundable but if they are not going to issue a visa what are they charging that amount of money for, and if you reapply do you have to pay it all again???

Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Cheers Mash
Yes weve downloaded that but unfortuanatly we are still unsure what skill we can apply under as the armed forces work completly different to civi street.
But thanks any way, does that mean the visa fee of $1795 is payable weather you get a visa or not???? I can understand the assement, medical and police reports not being refundable but if they are not going to issue a visa what are they charging that amount of money for, and if you reapply do you have to pay it all again???

Chris
Hi Chris

Mark's down the garage tinkering on his motorbike at the mo. Will speak to him re what trade an MEM should look to be applying under and will get back to you.

The visa fee is non-refundable so it's up to you to check you qualify before applying

Nicola
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a fee for the processing, so you best be certain you'll pass by getting a skills assessment, doing the points test and being happy you'll pass the medical and have clean police record.

Might seem unreasonable, but nevertheless true.
If you reapply, you pay again...

Mash...

Cheers Mash

Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nicola

Any help appreciated, too much money to throw away if not eligable.

Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by cresta57
A good start would be to read
http://www.immi.gov.au/
Then download the booklets as they're free now [you lucky sods]
That will give you a good insight into what is required legally immigration wise.
The rest you will pick up from the good folk on here some have waited ages and are full of good ideas, others will give you an insight into the pitfalls problems and downsides to life there once the holiday feeling wears off. All in all a good read and better than the soaps on tv.
Thanks for your reply, are you out there or still here in Britain??
Chris
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Nicola

Any help appreciated, too much money to throw away if not eligable.

Chris
Chris

Have emailed you.

Nicola
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, are you out there or still here in Britain??
Chris
We're still here my folks are in Queensland building a new house with my inheritance, so they keep telling me! I just hope it's big enough for all of us.
Sean
Old Mar 10th 2003, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by cresta57
We're still here my folks are in Queensland building a new house with my inheritance, so they keep telling me! I just hope it's big enough for all of us.
Sean
Well if its anything like the ones we looked around in Queensland on the Gold Coast it will be they were fab. Huge, and all for around £140,000. Cant go wrong we cant even get a 3 bed semi for that down here.