Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

plaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

I have just received a job offer and we now considering our options and need some help with the following

How much would I expect to pay for Medicare for a family of 4?? children are 14 and 19. I have looked on the medicare web site and I've read some great words on how great Medicare is but can't what it costs, is the medicare payment deducted at source like NI is here in the UK or is like an insurance payment.

My job offer is a 12 month contract position in Melbourne, I've been contracting here in the UK for many years and have my own limited company for obvious tax breaks. Can someone advise the best person or company I can talk to make sure I'm maximizing my earning potential, the agency who have offered me the position have advise there is no benefit be in having my own company like I have here in the UK.

Apologies if the above questions have been asked before, I have searched the forum but can't the answers I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

Originally Posted by plaver
I have just received a job offer and we now considering our options and need some help with the following

How much would I expect to pay for Medicare for a family of 4?? children are 14 and 19. I have looked on the medicare web site and I've read some great words on how great Medicare is but can't what it costs, is the medicare payment deducted at source like NI is here in the UK or is like an insurance payment.

My job offer is a 12 month contract position in Melbourne, I've been contracting here in the UK for many years and have my own limited company for obvious tax breaks. Can someone advise the best person or company I can talk to make sure I'm maximizing my earning potential, the agency who have offered me the position have advise there is no benefit be in having my own company like I have here in the UK.

Apologies if the above questions have been asked before, I have searched the forum but can't the answers I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks
Which visa are you on? It sounds like possibly a 457, in which case you may not be able to access full Medicare anyway and might need insurance as well.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

plaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

The visa is my Passport is Class BN Resident P Sub Class 136, does the visa make a difference??