British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-req-medicare-contract-agency-working-628850/)

plaver Sep 2nd 2009 9:41 am

Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

I have just received a job offer and we now considering our options and need some help with the following

How much would I expect to pay for Medicare for a family of 4?? children are 14 and 19. I have looked on the medicare web site and I've read some great words on how great Medicare is but can't what it costs, is the medicare payment deducted at source like NI is here in the UK or is like an insurance payment.

My job offer is a 12 month contract position in Melbourne, I've been contracting here in the UK for many years and have my own limited company for obvious tax breaks. Can someone advise the best person or company I can talk to make sure I'm maximizing my earning potential, the agency who have offered me the position have advise there is no benefit be in having my own company like I have here in the UK.

Apologies if the above questions have been asked before, I have searched the forum but can't the answers I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks

Pollyana Sep 2nd 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

Originally Posted by plaver (Post 7898399)
I have just received a job offer and we now considering our options and need some help with the following

How much would I expect to pay for Medicare for a family of 4?? children are 14 and 19. I have looked on the medicare web site and I've read some great words on how great Medicare is but can't what it costs, is the medicare payment deducted at source like NI is here in the UK or is like an insurance payment.

My job offer is a 12 month contract position in Melbourne, I've been contracting here in the UK for many years and have my own limited company for obvious tax breaks. Can someone advise the best person or company I can talk to make sure I'm maximizing my earning potential, the agency who have offered me the position have advise there is no benefit be in having my own company like I have here in the UK.

Apologies if the above questions have been asked before, I have searched the forum but can't the answers I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks

Which visa are you on? It sounds like possibly a 457, in which case you may not be able to access full Medicare anyway and might need insurance as well.

plaver Sep 3rd 2009 6:11 am

Re: Help Req with Medicare & Contract/Agency Working

The visa is my Passport is Class BN Resident P Sub Class 136, does the visa make a difference??