Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP: Reassurance needed!

HELP: Reassurance needed!

Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

tamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant future
Default HELP: Reassurance needed!

I am close to having to commit to an offer of employment. I really need some advice and assurances that the lifestyle in Sydney (Eastern Suburbs) really is much better than in the UK (London). I have 2 small kids by the way.

I am not unhappy where I work/live now, so I am so worried that I may look back and regret leaving here. BUT, I am pretry sure this chance will not arise again.

I need this whole "lifestyle is better" claim to be clarified. I am also concerned about how unfamiliar it is going to be for my 5 year old boy, and him settling is a big worry.

Help!

Last edited by tamaja; Nov 25th 2008 at 10:36 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HELP: Reassurance needed!

We love it here. We spend more time outside than we ever did in the UK. Everyone is really friendly and I just wouldn't give going back to the UK a 2nd thought. It wasn't my wifes ideal to come to Australia, but I think she pretty much thinks the same....except for missing people in England.

I just thought that I would rather try it & regret it, rather than regret not trying it....if that makes sense...No regrets so far.

We haven't got kids here though, so can't offer a view on that side of things.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

By the way....we came from Rochester, so not quite the same as London. We had a 5 min commute to work in the UK & now I have about 45-60min each way in Sydney.....but I'd still rather be here.....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

This will be a tricky one to answer... I think that there will be several forum members who have lived in Sydney and London, who might have made a similar move....they'll probably be the best people to respond....

What kind of "lifestyle" things would make the move worthwhile to you?

Also, what "lifestyle" are you currently enjoying in London (wages, suburb, hours of work, leisure activities) and what are you expecting in Sydney (wages, suburb) ??

The extra info might help people provide some more useful input....

For what its worth - it sounds like you have a good lifestyle in London...personally I'd stay put unless you are being offered a significant salary increase. cheers
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If by lifestyle you have a holistic view which includes significant other people then stay put. If your lifestyle is more materialistic - sun, sand, surf etc then give it a go. Just as a rider, Sydney is an expensive place to live in and unless you are going to get a really decent salary then dont bother.

As for your 5 year old, he will probably settle in better than you will! Kids are resilient people.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tamaja
so I am so worried that I may look back and regret leaving here. BUT, I am pretry sure this chance will not arise again.

I need this whole "lifestyle is better" claim to be clarified. I am also concerned about how unfamiliar it is going to be for my 5 year old boy, and him settling is a big worry.

Help!
If you choose NOT to try it, will you look back later and think what if ?

Kids seem to settle very well, especially at a young age. Mine was also 5 when we did a big move, from Sydney to Brisbane, but she very soon settled with new school, new friends, etc.

The option to return home, if you don't like it here, is always open.
The chance to come here later, may not be...

What part of Sydney would you be moving to if you do come down ?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Charly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tamaja
I am close to having to commit to an offer of employment. I really need some advice and assurances that the lifestyle in Sydney (Eastern Suburbs) really is much better than in the UK (London). I have 2 small kids by the way.

I am not unhappy where I work/live now, so I am so worried that I may look back and regret leaving here. BUT, I am pretry sure this chance will not arise again.

Help!
Moved here with 8 yr old only child 6 years ago and have absolutely NO regrets! Believe me, it was awful getting her to want to leave UK, now she spends most of her spare time at the beach, surfing and not many months go by when she doesn't thank us for bringing her here! She is 14 yrs now and still an only child and I often wonder what street corner she'd be hanging out on if we were back in UK - now I have to only wonder which beach??!! Make the move, you will have plenty of laughs, plenty of tears, and lots of learning to do, we still do 6 yrs into our move - but NO regrets. We live on Central Coast, North of Sydney, can't think of a better place to live, work and play! Make the move!