Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

health insurance 457 visa

health insurance 457 visa

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future
Question health insurance 457 visa

hi all
any recomendations for health insurance policies?

my partner will have a pre-existing medical condition and will we have to pay for health insurance or our employer?

yes, we get recipricol health care as do at the moment as are uk citizens

all advice of companies welcome!
thank you in advance

saf x
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health insurance 457 visa

Your employer should cover medical costs, as far as I know, but many employers try to avoid their obligations.

You've asked variants of this question quite a few times now, I really strongly recommend you find a good migration agent to discuss your options.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

I use medibank private on a 457. I think there might be other health insurance company which are cheaper for health insurance on a 457.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

We went with IMAN and the top-level premium (for a family and incl pregnancy) was $416 per month. There was a 12mth wait for pregnancy stuff and I think there was either a 12mth wait for pre-existing or it wasn't covered at all (it's not something that applied to us).

DH's company didn't pay towards the premium until we started the process of going PR - when they started paying half of it (just in DH's expenses each month). We did have the LAFHA though (which was $15k per year extra "tax free" allowance) so I guess it was swings and roundabouts really.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, usually a 12month waiting period for existing medical conditions.
However we have found the medicare agreement covered conditions any way. So you wont be left without care even if you have a 12month wait.
Just use public hospitals/bulk billing GP and medicare agreement card.

Gems
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:32 am
Just Joined

rodly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am in the same position and have found this company http://www.hba.com.au/public_insuran...or_singles.htm which does cover for overseas visitors on 457 visas. It is owned by BUPA. I have not bought insurance with them yet, as I am trying to get my husband's employer to meet their obligations and provide us with adeqaute cover. Good luck with it!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by krestsaf
hi all
any recomendations for health insurance policies?

my partner will have a pre-existing medical condition and will we have to pay for health insurance or our employer?

yes, we get recipricol health care as do at the moment as are uk citizens

all advice of companies welcome!
thank you in advance

saf x
We went with IMAN in the end.

I have a pre-existing condition which isn't covered by our policy. It was touch and go as to whether I would have to pay full price for my medication over here which would've battered me financially.

Fortunately the doc over here was great and made sure that I could have it subsidised! Result, I pay about the same as prescription charges back in the UK.

Don't get any free check-ups over here (good old NHS) but occasionally pay for a blood test for piece of mind.

No probs.