Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

RachandGarry will become famous soon enough
Default Once in Oz, what would a Civil Engineering Technologist do/earn?

Hi

In the UK, we have Civil Engineers. In Australia, it seems they have Civil Engineers and Civil Engineer Technologists and what splits them apart primarily is the qualification they gained at University.

My husband would need to migrate as a Civil Engineer Technologist - so does anyone know what jobs he would get/how much they would pay etc?

Thanks in advance
Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice
Default Re: Very annoyed!! This is silly!

mebbe if you haven't already done so send Engineers Australia an email to ask ([email protected])? They were very quick in replying to all my qualms.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GracieK
mebbe if you haven't already done so send Engineers Australia an email to ask ([email protected])? They were very quick in replying to all my qualms.
Hi Gracie

Have just spoken directly to the Eng Council for UK - sadly Garry's BSc is only applicable under the Sydney Accord meaning he can only apply as a Civil Engineering Technologist unless he files a CDR.

Am thinking about our options. Do you happen to know what requirements I (as his spouse) need to meet in order to get the 5 bonus points?

Thanks
Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Once in Oz, what would a Civil Engineering Technologist do/earn?

Originally Posted by RachandGarry
Hi

In the UK, we have Civil Engineers. In Australia, it seems they have Civil Engineers and Civil Engineer Technologists and what splits them apart primarily is the qualification they gained at University.

My husband would need to migrate as a Civil Engineer Technologist - so does anyone know what jobs he would get/how much they would pay etc?

Thanks in advance
Rachel

drafty

The equivalent in Oz has a TAFE diploma (not Uni)
WW
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

I'm no expert at all of this, but I am applying for 136 (non modl) and claiming spouse skills and from immi.gov.au you get the 5 points spouse skills if you meet the basic requirements which are;

-under 45 years of age
-english language ability
-skills assessment for skill on SOL
-12/18 months experience on 60pt skill or 2/3 years experience on 40/50pt skills

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ity-spouse.htm has full details
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks in advance
Rachel
being a civil engineer covers a whole spectrum of roles....design/drafting/ consulting etc

the salary range is anything between $30,000 and $200,000+plus....be more specific...what is his current job in uk?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
drafty

The equivalent in Oz has a TAFE diploma (not Uni)
WW
Thats why I don't understand the Skills Assessment Situation.

Unless we are successful with a CDR, we aren't going to have enough points to apply. Its so annoying, because he's doing the job and is plenty qualified in the UK.

Big sigh.

I'm just giving my baby a big cuddle to cheer me up.
Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Here is a salary survey done by recruitment company Hays.

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs06...onProperty.pdf
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:53 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I don't understand the Skills Assessment Situation.

Unless we are successful with a CDR, we aren't going to have enough points to apply. Its so annoying, because he's doing the job and is plenty qualified in the UK.

Big sigh.

I'm just giving my baby a big cuddle to cheer me up.
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

If your other half's got a degree and is currently working as a civil engineer then he should apply as a professional engineer. It means a slightly different thing in Oz - as in a professional engineer is NOT the same as someone who is CHARTERED (as it is in the UK). I don't have chartership but am a professional angineer and a member of IEAust (but not a chartered engineer). Am I making sense? Sorry, couple of glasses of wine in....

Graham

Oh and in terms of wages - my salary is pretty much exactly the same as in the uk but I also get 9% superannuation on top of that, so technically I earn more. Oh, and my company has a roof top pool, has regular bbqs and also has lots of free drinks nights on the roof top terrace - free beer!! They have a civil's department - I'll give you their details if you want......

Last edited by northerner; Feb 1st 2007 at 9:55 am.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northerner
Hi Rachel,

If your other half's got a degree and is currently working as a civil engineer then he should apply as a professional engineer. It means a slightly different thing in Oz - as in a professional engineer is NOT the same as someone who is CHARTERED (as it is in the UK). I don't have chartership but am a professional angineer and a member of IEAust (but not a chartered engineer). Am I making sense? Sorry, couple of glasses of wine in....

Graham

Oh and in terms of wages - my salary is pretty much exactly the same as in the uk but I also get 9% superannuation on top of that, so technically I earn more. Oh, and my company has a roof top pool, has regular bbqs and also has lots of free drinks nights on the roof top terrace - free beer!! They have a civil's department - I'll give you their details if you want......
Hi Graham,

Thanks for replying to my e-mail as well (not sure if you knew this was me too?)...

Garry's degree is a BSc in Civil Engineering and as such only qualifies under Sydney Accord which assesses him for Technologist. Only a BEng/CEng would be acceptable (

Your company sounds fantastic, def send me their details please!!!!!

You know, its only 12 noon here and I just feel like a large glass of Baileys, this whole dream is so much further away than I thought at this time yesterday (when I hadn't realised the above!). Sigh!

Rachel x
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GracieK
I'm no expert at all of this, but I am applying for 136 (non modl) and claiming spouse skills and from immi.gov.au you get the 5 points spouse skills if you meet the basic requirements which are;

-under 45 years of age
-english language ability
-skills assessment for skill on SOL
-12/18 months experience on 60pt skill or 2/3 years experience on 40/50pt skills

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ity-spouse.htm has full details
Hi Gracie,

Just as you posted back, I was checking that site - I don't qualify as I am currently a stay at home mum with our baby (6 months old) and previously was a Travel Agent (not on the SOL).

Am putting thinking cap back on, may go down CDR route...

Thanks for caring!
Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:20 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Graham,

Thanks for replying to my e-mail as well (not sure if you knew this was me too?)...

Garry's degree is a BSc in Civil Engineering and as such only qualifies under Sydney Accord which assesses him for Technologist. Only a BEng/CEng would be acceptable (

Your company sounds fantastic, def send me their details please!!!!!

You know, its only 12 noon here and I just feel like a large glass of Baileys, this whole dream is so much further away than I thought at this time yesterday (when I hadn't realised the above!). Sigh!

Rachel x
If you need to go down the CDR route then do that. A bit of a pain but certainly not a deal breaker. Desparate for engineers out here - I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Get that Baileys down you and do some more surfing LOL

Graham
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Gracie,

Just as you posted back, I was checking that site - I don't qualify as I am currently a stay at home mum with our baby (6 months old) and previously was a Travel Agent (not on the SOL).

Am putting thinking cap back on, may go down CDR route...

Thanks for caring!
Rachel
Hi all

Just want to stop this thread and anyone putting any thought in to it for us, it is irrelevant now (with the new information I have). Will post again with new questions when ready!

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

Originally Posted by JAJ
Better to ask on the immigration forum, but:

- is his HND accredited by the Engineering Council for Incorporated Engineer? If so, Sydney Accord applies.

- is his BSc accredited by the EC-UK for Chartered Engineer? If so, Washington Accord will work.

If he wants an IEAUST assessment other than through the Accords, he needs to do a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR).
Hi there,

1) Thanks for that information JAJ, had checked the ECUK website but it was difficult to tell. I have now phoned them and confirmed that both his HND and degree are accredited but only for IEng. This means that unfortunately we would either have to use Sydney Accord (means being a C E Technologist, not on MODL and therefore we don't have enough points) or do a CDR. Still considering our options.

2) Thanks also for mentioning the Immigration Forum, I hadn't even noticed it!!!!!!!! I just assumed it was all one forum, until you said that and I noticed the "Lifestyle & Culture" heading. Doh! Maybe I'm too stupid to migrate after all, lol.

I will stop this thread now, as I have gone past the need for this information.

Thanks.
Rachel