Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

RachandGarry will become famous soon enough
Default Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

This is a really specific question, but I am hoping someone here will either know the answer or know where to find it...

My husband (the main applicant if we were to go ahead) is a Civil Engineer. He did a 2 year HND in Civil Engineering then transferred on to the BSc course. He has a BSc degree in "Civil Engineering".

On the skills assessment website, there are two categories of "Engineer": Professional Engineer and Engineering Technologist. Additionally, Civil Engineer and Civil Engineer Technologist are both on the Skills List, however only Civil Engineer is on the Skills in Demand list. How can we find out if he is considered a Professional Engineer or an Engineering Technologist???? For one you apply to the Washington Accord and for the other you apply to the Sydney Accord, so its not something that we can just send in and let them decide. As we only have "Civil Engineer" here I don't know how to distinguish between the two options - and it could mean we have 15 less points than we thought (

Hope someone might be able to help us...

Rachel x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Very annoyed!! This is silly!

Hi all,

Contrary to my normal behaviour and passive (if not a little sarcastic occasionally) demeanour, I am so annoyed with this process!

I realise the rules, regs, assessments etc are there for good reason but they are so difficult to understand.

Here are the descriptions of 2 occupations and their skill requirements:

Engineer - Civil Engineer 2124-11: Plans, designs, organises and oversees the construction and operation of civil engineering projects such as structural, transportation or hydraulic engineering systems. The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required. This occupation would require skills to be assessed as per the Washington Accord.

Engineer - Civil Engineering Technologist 2128-11: Applies and modifies established engineering practices such as the design and implementation of civil engineering projects. The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required. This occupation would require skills to be assessed as per the Sydney Accord.

Now, the educational requirements are the same, the only difference is the tasks the person does. In England, we don't have two occupations like this - there is just "Civil Engineer" and that person does the first and second list - but not every single task, and not on every contract. You have to know which you are being assessed for, and only the first one is a "Skill in Demand".

It is so annoying, and I can't find any way of telling which category my DH fits in to. I have e-mailed NOOSR in the hope they will shed some light, but I won't hold my breath.

Oh how demoralising, (hand to forehead, dramatically) I can't take it!!!!

Sorry to rant, just practising to be a "whinging pomme" tee hee.

Thanks for reading,
Rachel x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:01 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very annoyed!! This is silly!

Originally Posted by RachandGarry
Hi all,

Contrary to my normal behaviour and passive (if not a little sarcastic occasionally) demeanour, I am so annoyed with this process!

I realise the rules, regs, assessments etc are there for good reason but they are so difficult to understand.

Engineer - Civil Engineer 2124-11: Plans, designs, organises and oversees the construction and operation of civil engineering projects such as structural, transportation or hydraulic engineering systems. The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required. This occupation would require skills to be assessed as per the Washington Accord.

Engineer - Civil Engineering Technologist 2128-11: Applies and modifies established engineering practices such as the design and implementation of civil engineering projects. The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required. This occupation would require skills to be assessed as per the Sydney Accord.

Now, the educational requirements are the same, the only difference is the tasks the person does. In England, we don't have two occupations like this - there is just "Civil Engineer" and that person does the first and second list - but not every single task, and not on every contract. You have to know which you are being assessed for, and only the first one is a "Skill in Demand".

It is so annoying, and I can't find any way of telling which category my DH fits in to. I have e-mailed NOOSR in the hope they will shed some light, but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for reading,
Rachel x
HeeHee welcome to the lovely world of applying for a VISA.

Give an agent a ring they usually give first consultation free.

hang in there.!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Hi all,

Thanks for reading,
Rachel x

Sorry, responded but without words

Chill please,

There are fantastic people here who I am sure will come to your rescue.

Good Luck
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reading,
Rachel x
Then only apply to be assessed for the first one if thats the skill in demand - bit of a no brainer there!

Make your role fit the criteria and phrase what you have to in order to meet the requirements.

Of course not everyone's job exactly fits the criteria to be assessed, not every job in the world with the same title is the same.

I'd probably either take up drinking now or meditation. If you think skills assessment is bad, then wait until the rest of it

Try not to be a whinging pom and take it in your stride. Your applying to migrate to the other side of the world and sadly thats gonna mean some paperwork and frustrations.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice

Just select the best one you can..When i applied to acs i choose an entry from the skills list and when i received my passed assessment they had selected a different elective.So choose what you think is best and if the assessing body isnt happy they will change it to another.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little better now, lol.

I think the aggravation is being brought out in me by fear that we may not be as "straightforward" as I had been secretly gloating about all afternoon, lol.

I have read another document, by the MIA, and that sounds more hopeful.

The reason it matters is for the number of points we have - one is on the "in demand" list, one isn't. That's a whopping 15 points difference so I need to know before we even consider being assessed or applying! I am waiting for some replies by e-mail which will hopefully clarify the situation.

I am more calm now, and think its time to go to bed!

Thanks again everyone, sorry for my momentary lapse in composure!

Rachel x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little better now, lol.

I think the aggravation is being brought out in me by fear that we may not be as "straightforward" as I had been secretly gloating about all afternoon, lol.

I have read another document, by the MIA, and that sounds more hopeful.

The reason it matters is for the number of points we have - one is on the "in demand" list, one isn't. That's a whopping 15 points difference so I need to know before we even consider being assessed or applying! I am waiting for some replies by e-mail which will hopefully clarify the situation.

I am more calm now, and think its time to go to bed!

Thanks again everyone, sorry for my momentary lapse in composure!

Rachel x

have you looked at the washington and sydney accord websites? If you have an accredited degree on the washington accord then you should get the Civil Engineer, if you have a HNC/HND and some degree's not sure which maybe foundation and bachelor's that is on the Sydney accord then your probably looking at the Technologist level.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by showdan
have you looked at the washington and sydney accord websites? If you have an accredited degree on the washington accord then you should get the Civil Engineer, if you have a HNC/HND and some degree's not sure which maybe foundation and bachelor's that is on the Sydney accord then your probably looking at the Technologist level.
http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Now, the educational requirements are the same, the only difference is the tasks the person does. In England, we don't have two occupations like this - there is just "Civil Engineer" and that person does the first and second list - but not every single task, and not on every contract.
There is a difference in the United Kingdom between a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please! Skilled Migration Visa occupations...

My husband (the main applicant if we were to go ahead) is a Civil Engineer. He did a 2 year HND in Civil Engineering then transferred on to the BSc course. He has a BSc degree in "Civil Engineering".
Better to ask on the immigration forum, but:

- is his HND accredited by the Engineering Council for Incorporated Engineer? If so, Sydney Accord applies.

- is his BSc accredited by the EC-UK for Chartered Engineer? If so, Washington Accord will work.

If he wants an IEAUST assessment other than through the Accords, he needs to do a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR).
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and don't forget to keep every bit of paper and proof and information you produce. Getting the skills assessment and then the visa, does not necessarily get you a job. You may have to reapply for assessment once here before you can get employment.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marco121068
Hiya

Thanks for the link. The Engineers Australia link you to the Engineering Council of Great Britain to check the accreditation of your course, but they refer you on both the Washington and Sydney accord, so both job titles... His course is def. accredited so that's one good thing.

The description by IEAUST for Civil Engineer's academic quals is "A four year Australian professional engineering degree... or equivalent" and for Civil Engineering Technologist's is "A three year Australian degree in Engineering Technology... or equivalent". Trouble is, Garry did a 3 year degree in Civil Engineering so we don't know which it is more equivalent to.

Hmmm. Need to think more about this, and make sure we know what we are applying on.

Rachel
PS Good morning by the way, hope everyone healthy and happy today!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

I just got my assessment from Engineers Australia and I was very perplexed as to which ASCO code and job description I should nominate myself to be assessed for. I was quite surprised that I didn't actually have to fill in what I wanted to be assessed for anywhere on the form. EA take your qualifications and assign you the skill (on the letter they say what you should apply as for immigration purposes).

As I understand it, I think that basically if you have done a uni course that was accredited (e.g. by IEE/IET, IMechE, ICE) then it will prob be on Washington. If you have done a course that is vocational (HNC, etc) then that would prob be Sydney.

You can search on the link below for your exact course to see if it is covered under the washington accord (select CEng in the Section drop down).
http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/acad/search.aspx
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GracieK
I just got my assessment from Engineers Australia and I was very perplexed as to which ASCO code and job description I should nominate myself to be assessed for. I was quite surprised that I didn't actually have to fill in what I wanted to be assessed for anywhere on the form. EA take your qualifications and assign you the skill (on the letter they say what you should apply as for immigration purposes).

As I understand it, I think that basically if you have done a uni course that was accredited (e.g. by IEE/IET, IMechE, ICE) then it will prob be on Washington. If you have done a course that is vocational (HNC, etc) then that would prob be Sydney.

You can search on the link below for your exact course to see if it is covered under the washington accord (select CEng in the Section drop down).
http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/acad/search.aspx
Hi Gracie,

Hope you are well this morning and thanks for trying to help. The CEng section is only for BEng, MEng etc qualifications and my husband has a BSc.

On the Immigration website: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-2124-11.htm

It describes the skill level required for a Civil Engineer (Professional) as:
Skill level
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.

This information suggests to me a Bachelors degree is okay, but I am concerned that because DH has a Bachelor of Science instead of a Bachelor of Engineering degree that he wouldn't qualify.

Hmmmm, very confusing!

More research needed I think (

Thanks again,
Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.