Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please, moving to Sydney.

Help please, moving to Sydney.

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:26 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please, moving to Sydney.

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Thanks for all replys.
I know $350 isn't much for Sydney but we will only have one wage for first few months.
What are your opinions on Glenmore park.
Lisa
xxxx
I know people who moved from a rented apartment in Artamon to buying a house in Glenmore Park, as that was one of the few places they could afford to buy.

They haven't said it, but I get the impression there are times they've regretted the move - Glenmore Park isn't Sydney, really, not in the sense Artamon is with the city almost on your doorstep. Glenmore Park is way out west.

While the house they live in is nice, the block sizes there are pretty small and the place has what my missus calls a "Legoland" feel about it. It's still new, lots of young families, not many trees and a maze of roads that are difficult to find your way out of if you're not too familiar with the area. And it gets very hot - you'd definitely need air con in the summer, but I would say all houses have it. Compared to, say, Artamon, average temperature in summer would be about seven degrees higher.

Okay, I've bagged it out enough now. Of course it may be different for you, I'm just saying I wouldn't live there. If I was going to go that far out west I'd go the whole hog and look at the Blue Mountains.

By train, you'd need to drive or get a bus to Penrith, get a fast train to Central, and then change to the North Shore Line to get to Artamon.

I'm not sure about driving - the easiest way I could see would be M7, M2, Pennant Hills Road... - but that would be expensive with tolls. Going M4 into town, then through the City, Harbour Tunnel, Pacific Highway would be too much of a pain for me and you'd also need to pay a toll (though not as much as the M7 option). Perhaps someone can suggest a better driving option, but it would still take a while.

When it comes down to expense I realise your options are limited, but living in Glenmore Park and working in Artamon would be a real drag, IMO.

Good luck.

Big.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:47 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

would have to agree with Nicky,
I have driven several times at rush hour time along Lane Cove Rd from Ryde Rd and it is slow moving traffic, even with the ability to use the T2 lane. Lane cove tunnel is opening this month but road toll there to pay.

Hornsby has a lot more units than suburbs to the south. Maybe this could be your compromise whilst you are earning 1 wage, but looks like you will have to raise the rental budget to around the $430 mark looking at domain.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am with the Big Galah and NickyC. I would not do the commute, the whereis.com site says the time is 49 mins - with the expensive tolls. The same site tells me my travelling distance from St Ives to Sydney CBD is 22 mins. I rarely if ever manage that on a fast bus with stops only in my suburb in less than 45 in the mornings and evening, and often it is an hour plus.

When we moved over I was working in Chatswood and looking at maps and the like. I thought Campbelltown looked an option same sort of commute you are considering, 60Km. I was soon informed I was not taking into consideration the traffic etc. Anyway long story short we chose upper north shore, staying first in Hornsby and then finding a longer term rental after six weeks. The area is great with National Parks on the doorstep and 20/30 mins to lots and lots of beaches (if that is your thing). The transport links are terrific and now with older children 16 and 14 they have options of all the major CBDs around and getting the bus to beach in summer.

I am not saying out west is a bad choice - just not really a practical one for working in Artarmon. Plus if you move somewhere first and then decide you need to move again there will be big changes in schools and friends for the children.

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I know Artarmon very well, and for $350 per wk rent you're not going to be able to rent much at all, unless it's a very small unit.

My best bet, especially with a family, would be to stick to the Northern Districts rail line and investigate the Hornsby area or, if you don't mind driving, check out the Hills suburbs. They're central to the main tollway (M2) into Artarmon which takes about 25 mins by car. Nice homes, family suburbs and $350 per week will get you an older 3 bd house or a newer townhome with garage.

For eg: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5179795
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Hi all
Please could i have lots and lots of advice.
We are appying for 136 and my hubby is a Land Rover technician (car mechanic), we are hoping to be in the sydney area. He was informally offered a job in Artarmon a while ago and they are still interested.
We are not sure where to live. We like the castle hill and beecroft area bit expensive though. Would like 3/4 bed house to start with. We did like Glenmore park but a little far out but if its worth the travel we wouldn't mind.
Also schools 9/12 yr old girls.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thak-you
Lisa
xxxx
There has got to be somebody in sydney that can help me, ahh well maybe your all just getting up. Please help i'm desparate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT move to Richmond/Windsor area. I live in Windsor, my kids go to school in Richmond and I hate it here. I was fine until we went to Port Stephens for a holiday, now I want to move soooo bad. Hubby's tied to his job until August this year & then I'm off....never to look back.
PHEW!! It was good to get that off my chest! xx
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:54 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SiennaRowe
DO NOT move to Richmond/Windsor area. I live in Windsor, my kids go to school in Richmond and I hate it here. I was fine until we went to Port Stephens for a holiday, now I want to move soooo bad. Hubby's tied to his job until August this year & then I'm off....never to look back.
PHEW!! It was good to get that off my chest! xx
Oh plllleeeeaaasssseeeee................... you love it here and well you know it! You're on the piss with the girls all the time, your kids love the school and are doing really well there...... you're just grumpy cos its raining today!!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Oh plllleeeeaaasssseeeee................... you love it here and well you know it! You're on the piss with the girls all the time, your kids love the school and are doing really well there...... you're just grumpy cos its raining today!!
Lol...you know me so well!! I'll put my real thoughts on here tomorrow when the storm is over!

Thanks for outing me Rach! x
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:08 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Lol...you know me so well!! I'll put my real thoughts on here tomorrow when the storm is over!

Port Stephens IS nice though....

Graham
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I'd have to agree with the other posters and suggest that you check out the Hornsby area. Its got good communication links into the CBD (and Artarmon). The train to Artamon would take around 20 minutes or so. I get a weekly from Hornsby to the City and it costs $34. If you need to drive to work then it is straight down the Pacific Highway and will take half to three quarters if an hour. One of the other benefits of living in this area is that its easy top get to the Northern Beaches or Central Coast.

We've been living in Wahroonga (Hornsby end) since last October and really like the area. If you've got any more questions about the area then feel free to ask or pm.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:04 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Port Stephens IS nice though....

Graham
Yep I do have to agree with that! Its my favourite place - I wanna move there too !
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:34 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

I thought this was very funny
Anyway thanks for all you comments and advice idealy I would love to live in or around the hills district. Its knowing what you can afford and as we are not selling our house in the UK we have to rent for the time being. If we love it and stay then we will sell house and it won't be such a problem.
My hubby will be on around 60kish over there (less than he is on here) so its hard to know what budget to set. Hopefully I can get a job (nail tech and NVQ2 qualified beauty therapist any help on that would be great, I do a good set of nails) and start earning but I just would like to settle over there before I start work.
Anyway I will check out the links and take on board all of advice.
Thanks again to everyone.
Lisa
xxxx