Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please, moving to Sydney.

Help please, moving to Sydney.

Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:24 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Help please, moving to Sydney.

Hi all
Please could i have lots and lots of advice.
We are appying for 136 and my hubby is a Land Rover technician (car mechanic), we are hoping to be in the sydney area. He was informally offered a job in Artarmon a while ago and they are still interested.
We are not sure where to live. We like the castle hill and beecroft area bit expensive though. Would like 3/4 bed house to start with. We did like Glenmore park but a little far out but if its worth the travel we wouldn't mind.
Also schools 9/12 yr old girls.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thak-you
Lisa
xxxx
There has got to be somebody in sydney that can help me, ahh well maybe your all just getting up. Please help i'm desparate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:17 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please, moving to Sydney.

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Hi all
Please could i have lots and lots of advice.
We are appying for 136 and my hubby is a Land Rover technician (car mechanic), we are hoping to be in the sydney area. He was informally offered a job in Artarmon a while ago and they are still interested.
We are not sure where to live. We like the castle hill and beecroft area bit expensive though. Would like 3/4 bed house to start with. We did like Glenmore park but a little far out but if its worth the travel we wouldn't mind.
Also schools 9/12 yr old girls.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thak-you
Lisa
xxxx
There has got to be somebody in sydney that can help me, ahh well maybe your all just getting up. Please help i'm desparate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're up now...! Can't really help with where to live as I'm up the Northern Beaches... But there's a few on here that are more in your general area... Sure they'll be along soon...
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I live Upper North Shore - have friends in Castle Hill who are settled and love the place and the state schools they have chosen.

Can you give an idea of what price range you are looking at there are options. Have you looked at Frenchs Forest. Some areas are expensive but not every house.

Cheers Sandra
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:31 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sandra
I live Upper North Shore - have friends in Castle Hill who are settled and love the place and the state schools they have chosen.

Can you give an idea of what price range you are looking at there are options. Have you looked at Frenchs Forest. Some areas are expensive but not every house.

Cheers Sandra
We have to rent to start off with and are looking at about $350 a week. I know that doesn't sound much but I don't want to over stretch ourselves to start with.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:47 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

We have to rent to start off with and are looking at about $350 a week. I know that doesn't sound much but I don't want to over stretch ourselves to start with.
Lisa
xxxx
Have you looked at www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au

These will give you an idea of what you can get for your money if you are renting or buying. Have to say $350 a week isn't much, especially if you're looking for a family home.

As a rule of thumb, the more expensive the rent or house prices, the nicer the area (bit obvious that one, I know!). Why not have a look on the websites and if you see any suburbs that look suitable, do a search to find if anyone's asked about them before.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:29 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Have you looked at www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au

These will give you an idea of what you can get for your money if you are renting or buying. Have to say $350 a week isn't much, especially if you're looking for a family home.

As a rule of thumb, the more expensive the rent or house prices, the nicer the area (bit obvious that one, I know!). Why not have a look on the websites and if you see any suburbs that look suitable, do a search to find if anyone's asked about them before.

I agree with chels comments

out of interest I had a look in the 350-400 range for upper north shore

Berowra Heights, possible, train (not on doorstop) through to Artarmon Station.

Hornsby Heights similar

North Ryde - various areas not bad, bus commute to chatswood, then train

None of the areas are rubbish - Keep an eye on West Pymble and South Turramurra these may be options.

Have fun looking
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:05 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
out of interest I had a look in the 350-400 range for upper north shore

Berowra Heights, possible, train (not on doorstop) through to Artarmon Station...
I would say it's possible to get somewhere decent in Hornsby Heights, Asquith, Mount Colah, Mount Kuring-gai, Berowra or Berowra Heights for less than $400 pw, but decent ones go quickly (like everywhere). You do get rental property turnover in these areas, so it's just a case of checking regularly and getting in first. Okay, there would be a possibility of a drive to the station, but you may get lucky with a "walkable" (if you were going to get the train).

A drive would be directly down the Pacific Highway (or possibly F3-Pacific Highway), but busy - about half an hour to 40 mins.

Train from Berowra to Artamon on North Shore Line is about 40 mins - $35 pw max.

Big.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:23 am
Lisa

Thanks for all replys.
I know $350 isn't much for Sydney but we will only have one wage for first few months.
What are your opinions on Glenmore park.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:36 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all replys.
I know $350 isn't much for Sydney but we will only have one wage for first few months.
What are your opinions on Glenmore park.
Lisa
xxxx

We live 20 mins from Glenmore Park (Richmond) and I really like the area. You can get quite a bit for your money there thats for sure. We have friends living there who are very happy too. I do question why it is so cheap though considering the houses look really nice and its a very new area (growing by the second too!) - plus its closer to Sydney than we are so I would have thought it would be more expensive?

Penrith is good shopping (which is basically where Glenmore Park is) and Homebush isnt too far (IKEA!!!!!).

If you've got any more questions feel free to ask!

Take care
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:14 pm
Lisa

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
We live 20 mins from Glenmore Park (Richmond) and I really like the area. You can get quite a bit for your money there thats for sure. We have friends living there who are very happy too. I do question why it is so cheap though considering the houses look really nice and its a very new area (growing by the second too!) - plus its closer to Sydney than we are so I would have thought it would be more expensive?

Penrith is good shopping (which is basically where Glenmore Park is) and Homebush isnt too far (IKEA!!!!!).

If you've got any more questions feel free to ask!

Take care
Thanks all for replying.
As for anymore questions Rach I have loads.
Do you know what the schools are like in that area?
I won't bombard you with too much.
Thanks again.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:20 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for replying.
As for anymore questions Rach I have loads.
Do you know what the schools are like in that area?
I won't bombard you with too much.
Thanks again.
Lisa
xxxx

Fire away with the questions - I dont mind at all

I dont have any personal experience of the schools but my friend has a 15 year old and an 8 year old and both seem to have settled well and are enjoying them. My friends house is also STUNNING! Shes renting and gets sooo much more in that area than we do here - very annoying!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lisa

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Fire away with the questions - I dont mind at all

I dont have any personal experience of the schools but my friend has a 15 year old and an 8 year old and both seem to have settled well and are enjoying them. My friends house is also STUNNING! Shes renting and gets sooo much more in that area than we do here - very annoying!
I bet its annoying, where abouts are you?
Have you any idea what the commute is like into Sydney or rather Artarmon area?
Thanks Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:28 pm

Thanks Lisa
xxxx
Probably about 45 mins to an hour? heres a good site to give you an idea of distances (allow for rush hour traffic though and maybe add 30 mins):-

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/directions.do

Next question please

School run time now
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lisa
xxxx
This should answer a lot of your questions...

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If I was working at Artarmon (lower North shore) the last place I'd want to live is out near Penrith. Glenmore Park might be nice-looking and you probably do get a lot of house for your dollar - but it's about as far away (60k) as it's possible to be, and still be in the same city. It also gets very hot out that way.

The commute, if driving, would take ages. You could do it by train from Penrith but it would still take ages.

If it was me I'd be checking out the cheaper upper North Shore suburbs around Hornsby rather than being tempted by the McMansions out west.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.