Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please!!...Medicals advice needed.

Help please!!...Medicals advice needed.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please!!...Medicals advice needed.

We will be 7 months into our application in March and are contemplating going for our medicals now instead of waiting to be officially requested in May time.

Trouble is this; if we hung on and did nothing , waited until officially requested then we'd know that they'd assessed our application favourably, pending results from the meds/police check.
If we go for meds in March and they get sent to DIMIA, how will we know that they've assessed our application or not?

We're getting a bit impatient and we really want to start 'doing something' productive.

What would you lot do?????
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:47 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Help please!!...Medicals advice needed.

Originally posted by TraceyW
We will be 7 months into our application in March and are contemplating going for our medicals now instead of waiting to be officially requested in May time.

Trouble is this; if we hung on and did nothing , waited until officially requested then we'd know that they'd assessed our application favourably, pending results from the meds/police check.
If we go for meds in March and they get sent to DIMIA, how will we know that they've assessed our application or not?

We're getting a bit impatient and we really want to start 'doing something' productive.

What would you lot do?????
Hi Tracey,

We are in exactly the same boat but decided to go for it anyway.

We did the police checks in January, the X-rays last week and the meds are on this Thursday.

As someone else did on the forum a few weeks ago, I am going to email or fax the DIMIA in a few weeks time to see if everything got there ok and maybe gleam some information ???

Nothing venture nothing gained and all that.....

The great debate on front loading or not has many differing views and I think you have to decide for yourself. We got a mixed response when we asked the same question on the site.

Good luck and if you are this far in my advice is to go for it providing there are no other factors which could affect it eg. time to validate etc.

Best wishes

Warren (and Jill)
Perth 2004....

Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

The only problem with doing meds before thy're requested(apart from the fact that you may be refused a visa on other grounds but we don't want to think about that...)is that you have to validate the visas within a set period of time and I think it's within 12 minths of having the meds done.This is okay if everything goes to plan,but if you have an unexpected delay(as we did)then it could leave you without a huge amount of time to get sorted once the visas come through. Having said that it's each to their own and we were advised not to sell our house either but we did ,so good luck whatever you decide to do.Mrs Neal