Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help: PhD student and working

Help: PhD student and working

Old Sep 24th 2002, 9:00 am
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 16
Pam12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help: PhD student and working

Dear all,

I am a PhD student in Australia and currently working 18 hours per week. In the offering letter it says the work is "part-time continuing appointment". And I have worked for almost a year by now. The work is related to my PhD study, but not listed is MODL (right spelling??)

Would this experience can be counted toward the points? This concerns me because my age will pass 35 when I graduate.

any expert advise will be GREATly appreciated.

Pam
Pam12 is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2002, 10:55 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 43
lidleony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help: PhD student and working

Hi Pam, I laso have the same problem like you. But I work for 20 hours. I just received an email from the Adelaide people and they said it must be at least 20 hours. So in your case I dont think its Ok, but well you can always still ask around.

For the university job, I am still waiting for the answer from them and I also ask George Lombard about it. If I get the result I will tell you.

LL


Originally posted by Pam12:
Dear all,

I am a PhD student in Australia and currently working 18 hours per week. In the offering letter it says the work is "part-time continuing appointment". And I have worked for almost a year by now. The work is related to my PhD study, but not listed is MODL (right spelling??)

Would this experience can be counted toward the points? This concerns me because my age will pass 35 when I graduate.

any expert advise will be GREATly appreciated.

Pam
lidleony is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2002, 11:23 pm
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 16
Pam12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help: PhD student and working

Hi LL,

I wonder if you could tell the Adelaide email address and the contact person.

This can be more complicated, if the univ give me permanent 20 hours job, but still mentioning "part-time continuing position" would it be considered as full time?

I couldn't find this related info in dima website.

Thanks for replying.

Pam

Originally posted by lidleony:
Hi Pam, I laso have the same problem like you. But I work for 20 hours. I just received an email from the Adelaide people and they said it must be at least 20 hours. So in your case I dont think its Ok, but well you can always still ask around.

For the university job, I am still waiting for the answer from them and I also ask George Lombard about it. If I get the result I will tell you.

LL


Pam12 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2002, 12:58 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 43
lidleony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help: PhD student and working

Yes, as long as it is 20 hours a week and paid, they dont care whther it is part or full time ....they are OK.
The only thing that worry me is the "student position". Like you, I am a master's student and I did work for my university and related to my skill and also to the MODL and SOL. But because it is a student position I am not sure whether they are Ok. In the meantime I also contact Mr. Lombard at the www.austimmigration.com and may be for my case I will use an agent since my circumstances arent clear and straight forward.

If you have any luck in getting answer for the DIMA people pls let me know.

Oh yeah, even though you didnt work in a MODL occupation it is OK as long as your occupation fulfilled the SOL list.

LL





Originally posted by Pam12:
Hi LL,

I wonder if you could tell the Adelaide email address and the contact person.

This can be more complicated, if the univ give me permanent 20 hours job, but still mentioning "part-time continuing position" would it be considered as full time?

I couldn't find this related info in dima website.

Thanks for replying.

Pam


Last edited by lidleony; Sep 25th 2002 at 1:07 am.
lidleony is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.