British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help: PhD student and working (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-phd-student-working-111744/)

Pam12 Sep 24th 2002 9:00 am

Help: PhD student and working

Dear all,

I am a PhD student in Australia and currently working 18 hours per week. In the offering letter it says the work is "part-time continuing appointment". And I have worked for almost a year by now. The work is related to my PhD study, but not listed is MODL (right spelling??)

Would this experience can be counted toward the points? This concerns me because my age will pass 35 when I graduate.

any expert advise will be GREATly appreciated.

Pam

lidleony Sep 24th 2002 10:55 am

Re: Help: PhD student and working

Hi Pam, I laso have the same problem like you. But I work for 20 hours. I just received an email from the Adelaide people and they said it must be at least 20 hours. So in your case I dont think its Ok, but well you can always still ask around.

For the university job, I am still waiting for the answer from them and I also ask George Lombard about it. If I get the result I will tell you.

LL

Originally posted by Pam12:
Dear all,

I am a PhD student in Australia and currently working 18 hours per week. In the offering letter it says the work is "part-time continuing appointment". And I have worked for almost a year by now. The work is related to my PhD study, but not listed is MODL (right spelling??)

Would this experience can be counted toward the points? This concerns me because my age will pass 35 when I graduate.

any expert advise will be GREATly appreciated.

Pam

Pam12 Sep 24th 2002 11:23 pm

Hi LL,

I wonder if you could tell the Adelaide email address and the contact person.

This can be more complicated, if the univ give me permanent 20 hours job, but still mentioning "part-time continuing position" would it be considered as full time?

I couldn't find this related info in dima website.

Thanks for replying.

Pam

Originally posted by lidleony:
Hi Pam, I laso have the same problem like you. But I work for 20 hours. I just received an email from the Adelaide people and they said it must be at least 20 hours. So in your case I dont think its Ok, but well you can always still ask around.

For the university job, I am still waiting for the answer from them and I also ask George Lombard about it. If I get the result I will tell you.

LL

lidleony Sep 25th 2002 12:58 am

Yes, as long as it is 20 hours a week and paid, they dont care whther it is part or full time ....they are OK.
The only thing that worry me is the "student position". Like you, I am a master's student and I did work for my university and related to my skill and also to the MODL and SOL. But because it is a student position I am not sure whether they are Ok. In the meantime I also contact Mr. Lombard at the www.austimmigration.com and may be for my case I will use an agent since my circumstances arent clear and straight forward.

If you have any luck in getting answer for the DIMA people pls let me know.

Oh yeah, even though you didnt work in a MODL occupation it is OK as long as your occupation fulfilled the SOL list.

LL

Originally posted by Pam12:
Hi LL,

I wonder if you could tell the Adelaide email address and the contact person.

This can be more complicated, if the univ give me permanent 20 hours job, but still mentioning "part-time continuing position" would it be considered as full time?

I couldn't find this related info in dima website.

Thanks for replying.

Pam