Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help...Passport Renewal!!

Help...Passport Renewal!!

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:53 am

LittleL is on a distinguished road
Default Help...Passport Renewal!!

Hi all
Well i have all the information etc that I need to renew my UK passport...BUT the problem is the countersignature on the forms and pics.
It states that I have to get a professional person usual JP, police officer, doc etc that has known me personally for 2years. OK so here lies two problems. I dont really know anyone like that really in Oz and i have only been here for a year.
What do I do as there is a bit of a rush on this and I am in a panic.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Leslie
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help...Passport Renewal!!

Originally Posted by LittleL
Hi all
Well i have all the information etc that I need to renew my UK passport...BUT the problem is the countersignature on the forms and pics.
It states that I have to get a professional person usual JP, police officer, doc etc that has known me personally for 2years. OK so here lies two problems. I dont really know anyone like that really in Oz and i have only been here for a year.
Leslie
Get one of them to sign the form and state that they only know you for X amount of time. Send a cover letter explaining your circumstances - it should do the trick.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Leslie
Unless you have significantly changed visually, you don't need to have someon sign for a renewal passport, they can see from your new photo if you are the same person as before. We didn't to do this. There is a web site for passport info, not sure address though.

Jo
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by joho
Unless you have significantly changed visually, you don't need to have someon sign for a renewal passport, they can see from your new photo if you are the same person as before. We didn't to do this. There is a web site for passport info, not sure address though.

Jo
This is from the page on the british high commision website.

Renewal of an existing British Passport

How to Apply:
Only original documents, photocopies are not accepted.

C1 application form and guidance notes or
C2 (under 16 years) application form and guidance notes
Passport fee sheet and fee
Existing British passport
Two passport size photographs.

Notes:
The application and photos should be countersigned by a professional, British or Commonwealth (includes Australian) citizen who has known you for at least TWO years. Relatives must not countersign. If your child is under 16, the person who countersigns the application form must have known the parent for the required time, not the child.

Applications forms should be completed in black ink and must be signed within the box on the C1 or C2. Failure to do this will delay your application.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:10 am
Phoenixuk2oz

This is from the page on the british high commision website.

Renewal of an existing British Passport

How to Apply:
Only original documents, photocopies are not accepted.

C1 application form and guidance notes or
C2 (under 16 years) application form and guidance notes
Passport fee sheet and fee
Existing British passport
Two passport size photographs.

Notes:
The application and photos should be countersigned by a professional, British or Commonwealth (includes Australian) citizen who has known you for at least TWO years. Relatives must not countersign. If your child is under 16, the person who countersigns the application form must have known the parent for the required time, not the child.

Applications forms should be completed in black ink and must be signed within the box on the C1 or C2. Failure to do this will delay your application.
A professional can also be a Senior Manager where you work [if you do work?]

Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:42 am

If only i was working...thanks anyway.

I will try the rediculously expensive phoneline tomorrow and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
However if anyone has any otehr experiences please post them too!
Thank you again..!
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:47 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

I've just renewed my UK passport and didnt need any counter signatures.

The form guidance said to send two photos and your old passport with the form, it also said in big bold letters that there is no need to have it countersigned, unless your appearance has changed significantly.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:49 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have just realised my comments were really unhelpful, as I renewed in the UK. Silly me, should read the whole thread first
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
OK, I have just realised my comments were really unhelpful, as I renewed in the UK. Silly me, should read the whole thread first
Ok that makes sense....phew i thought i was going mad...! I think its time to go relax and have a big drink i cant do anything else till i talk to them tomorrow...!

Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Ok that makes sense....phew i thought i was going mad...! I think its time to go relax and have a big drink i cant do anything else till i talk to them tomorrow...!

Little L
Contact the high commission in Canberra over the phone and ask them to clarify.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Hi all
Leslie
As far as i am aware you can just get a British Citizen to sign, I have signed many of these and I am unemployed.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CreditCardKing
As far as i am aware you can just get a British Citizen to sign, I have signed many of these and I am unemployed.
In fact citizens of Commonwealth countries (eg Australians) of professional standing may also sign usually, and in non-Commonwealth countries they will accept local nationals.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 year period - they do realise that people sometimes have to renew a passport without 2 years residence - the guarantor can replace the 2 year period (on the form) with a shorter time if he or she wishes.

It's probably only a matter of time before they bring in mandatory personal interviews for first-time passport applicants.

Jeremy
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:55 am

Ok so thank you for all the help...I called the consulate in Canberra this morning and yeah I HAVE to get a professional to sign it even for a renewal. Thats the way it is when renewing in Australia she said. Luckily we have scrambled about and remembered that a family friend is a Policeman. So they said to write a cover note explaining that I have only been here a year etc and it should be all good.....!

Panic over (sort of...) just hope i get the damn passport in time.

Thank you all....
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so thank you for all the help...I called the consulate in Canberra this morning and yeah I HAVE to get a professional to sign it even for a renewal. Thats the way it is when renewing in Australia she said. Luckily we have scrambled about and remembered that a family friend is a Policeman. So they said to write a cover note explaining that I have only been here a year etc and it should be all good.....!

Panic over (sort of...) just hope i get the damn passport in time.

Thank you all....
I am so glad you brought this up now. I didn't think you need to have it signed. Luckly we will have been in oz over 2 years before one of us needs renewing. But is a very good point to bear in mind.

cheers Jo
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I am so glad you brought this up now. I didn't think you need to have it signed. Luckly we will have been in oz over 2 years before one of us needs renewing. But is a very good point to bear in mind.

cheers Jo
It's yet another reason to keep life simple and renew passports in the UK *before* leaving (and before getting visas stamped) if they are going to expire just after you arrive in Australia.

Jeremy