Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! not enough points

help! not enough points

Old May 28th 2003, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

tracey710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help! not enough points

agent just phoned, only 27 points (husbands citb counts for 0). can wait 4 years to get more points for work experience but they may put points up again.or can apply for work to residency. as i am a nurse this is not a prob but will have to be earning over 45000 at end of 30mth period, hubby will get 30mth work visa, kids student visa's as long as still in full time ed when we go, oldest 2 can then prob work out there but youngest will still be 15 and have 1 year left in full time ed, becos not perm res will have to pay international rates for her education and others if they want to carry on. if we apply on this have to have an offer of work from health authority and have to work for them for full 2 years before applying for residency. cannot change employers. has anyone else taken this route, is it poss that i will earn 45000 as nurse after 2 years, any idea of tuition fees. HELP! we had psyched ourselves up for it and now it may all come tumbling down.
Old May 28th 2003, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

I've been offerd a job with health service in Melbourne starting at 46,000 basic so the money shouldn't be any problem. As far as i know you only pay education fees in a couple of states. If i'm wrong somebody will correct me
Mandy
Old May 28th 2003, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

sorry should have said this is going to new zealand.
Old May 28th 2003, 5:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you mind showing us your points breakdown? Will reply after that. (Sorry to hear you're a bit short of points.)

Cheers -Don
Old May 28th 2003, 5:49 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help! not enough points

Originally posted by tracey710
agent just phoned, only 27 points (husbands citb counts for 0). can wait 4 years to get more points for work experience but they may put points up again.or can apply for work to residency. as i am a nurse this is not a prob but will have to be earning over 45000 at end of 30mth period, hubby will get 30mth work visa, kids student visa's as long as still in full time ed when we go, oldest 2 can then prob work out there but youngest will still be 15 and have 1 year left in full time ed, becos not perm res will have to pay international rates for her education and others if they want to carry on. if we apply on this have to have an offer of work from health authority and have to work for them for full 2 years before applying for residency. cannot change employers. has anyone else taken this route, is it poss that i will earn 45000 as nurse after 2 years, any idea of tuition fees. HELP! we had psyched ourselves up for it and now it may all come tumbling down.
Tracey,

This sounds really odd - phone Sarah when you've got a moment, based on your quals it doen't seem right.

Perry
Old May 28th 2003, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

agent wizzed through points but something like 10 points for nursing qualification, 4 for age ,2 for 100,00 , 8yrs 8mths allowable work experience +job offer 8 points ithink takes us to 27. husband gets 0 points.
Old May 28th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

agent wizzed through points but something like 10 points for nursing qualification, 4 for age ,2 for 100,00 , 8yrs 8mths allowable work experience +job offer 8 points ithink takes us to 27. husband gets 0 points.
You only get 1 point for NZ$100,000 settlement funds, you need NZ$200,000 (about £72000) for 2 points. If you meant 200,000 then you have 27 points. Not sure what "citb" is, but you could check in the list of recognised qualifications (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms/pdf/nzis1080.pdf). There are a lot of City and Guilds qualifications that would get 2 points, or the qualification could be assessed.

I'm no expert but you might also be able to go over on a normal work visa and then apply for a residence visa after 2 years. At that point you'd not only get another 2 points for work experience but also 2 points for NZ work experience. I'm not sure if this is possible or not (or you might need to return to the UK first) but I'm sure I've heard mention of this route somewhere.

Good luck.

Tony
Old May 28th 2003, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

I've just read on another thread that there is talk the points needed are being reduced by a point or two. Hang on in there.

Helen
Old May 28th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tom's mum
I've just read on another thread that there is talk the points needed are being reduced by a point or two. Hang on in there.

Helen
There was some talk of that but I also read that the court decision, recently, in favour of NZAMI, would delay any reduction. But it could be worth waiting a couple of months, if your new employer can wait.
Old May 29th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

any more advice on this would be appreciated.
Old May 30th 2003, 1:56 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

any more advice on this would be appreciated.
You don't get to the PR passmark at the moment. As Tony said, you could get 2 points more by working in NZ for 2 years - but would you then lose 2 points on age? Settlement finds: Tony is correct so not sure if you have 26 or 27 points. If you have 27 points, you can at least HOPE that the points passmark will come down soon.

Otherwise you can get to NZ immediately on a work visa. If you got a year's NZ work experience (1 point more) and the points passmark came down to 28 (IMO opinion v likely in the next year) - you're in.

Cheers - Don