Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:23 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Originally Posted by liver bird
Does anyone, anywhere please know of any decent rentals that take pets ? I know it's our own fault for having dogs and cats but have spent £££££s since friday when we arrived looking at properties on the net and there is NOTHING out there, have widened our areas and upped our money so all we'll be able to eat for the next six months till we buy is tim tams! (no bad thing!)! Hubbie working at st lucia and we are staying in holiday accom in toowong but it's so expensive. We've looked at everywhere up to the gap, chermside, hamilton, and done indooroopilly, hendra, balmoral, bulimba, morningside, riverhills, bardon, auchenflower, coorparoo, yeronga, toowong, chapel hill, kenmore hill, fig tree pocket, sinammon park and there's nowhere. Walked into loads of estate agents (graceville, sherwood chelmer , toowong, allpeople lovely but all the rentals we like are gone already. Air con seems to be a thing of the past or they only do two rooms, living and main bedroom, so does that mean our two little ones are going to fry? and with temps going to go into the hundreds, with two under three and on tight budget am panicking. I know it's early days but can anyone suggest any areas? would be so grateful. Suddenly the UK seems v far away and am just having a crap day so forgive moan.
We're now looking at bayside (even though we haven't driven out there yet, that's tomorrow) but manly hasn't got any rentals for us and wynnum neither. Do you reckon we have to move to the gold coast to get anywhere? Plus before I came out I kept reading about people finding a suburb and just 'knowing it was right' and I haven't!! I find it all a bit much, seems to be like london where you have to find a decent suburb with restaurants etc out of central brisbane to live in?
I'm so pathetic Im terrified of the roads (never drove on motorways in the UK) , AND a cockroach nearly ran over my foot the other night outside our apartment, thought it was a leaf until I clocked it then went hysterical! , (told u I was pathetic) kids not sleeping cos of jet lag, up at 11.30pm till 5am for the past three nights, am knackered, keep feeling really tearful when someone speaks to me nicrely, even the cashier in woolworths (even though they won't let me pack my own bags!) Anyone out in bayside give us some good commutable suburbs to st lucia???sorry for rambling, am going to have xx

Hi,
have you looked at www.seqrents.com.au ?
You can chose "pet friendly" from the dropdown menu and then choose the area your looking for from the other menu.

This is the site we're going to use as we have a dog too.

Hope this is of some help.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear what you are going through just now. It really is just par for the course though - and everyone feels awful during this time.

We found that with a hot and fed-up 3 year old that we were limited in the number of properties that we could look at in a day. We tried to deal with agents in the morning so that we still looked fresh and presentable - I wouldn't have rented my house to anyone that looked like us at 4pm!

We avoided the large chains like Ray White as we assumed they would need to follow procedures correctly (now we suspect otherwise!) and instead concentrated on small one-shop realtors and got them to show us properties that were about to be advertised. We made sure we had bank statements and a couple of testimonies to show them. They were flexible enough to see that they could snare a good tenant without having to pay for advertising. We also saw some more interesting houses that way.

It will all work out in the end. Enjoy the chance to eat out and see the parks etc. before you get back into the 9 to 5 life.

Hope this helps a little.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

liver sent you a pm with my moby number, ring me if I can help
Kelly
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:56 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what I like about BE... Someone's having a cruddy time and everyone's pitching in to help.

Bloody brilliant. Good on you guys.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

the best thing ipom is we all know what goes around comes around, so it will be one of us asking for help next week I swear by BE, its helped me out many times
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kellyjs
the best thing ipom is we all know what goes around comes around, so it will be one of us asking for help next week I swear by BE, its helped me out many times

Absolutely... plus many of us have been here, feeling shite and not being able to find a rental, or wrangling with agents... It's tough... and that's why a lot of us hang around here, in the hope we'll be of some use. It's just good to see.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:17 am
Just Joined

time is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Liver bird we know how you are feeling! although we have no kids or pets
we are finding it impossible to get rental around the brisbane area and in some
ways we are feeling forced to comit to an impulse purchase to enable us to get on with the licencing and work searching part of this move only been here less than a week and we are already questioning why we are here? no friends no family no jobs no rental some money. We need lots of luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
hi

i am newly arrived in bayside and in redland bay, there are deff rentals here, i will dig the number out for you................... and they take doggies, our friends have a dog and there are dog next door! the guy is a nice guy and will sort you for a min 6 month rental im sure, that will give you time to chill and find an area for YOU!

will be back in a tic!

mand

p.s sent you a pm
thank you so much but redland bay hubbie says is too far to commute to UQ and st lucia where he'll be working, am so grateful though
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Have you tried Yeronga, Yerongpilly, Fairfield, Dutton Park etc. with the new Green Bridge due to open on 15 Dec it would be a short journey to St Lucia. Is it UQ hubbie will be working? I work there and so does my hubbie! We'll have to meet up for lunch!
Lack of sleep will account for how you are feeling, it WILL get better. Like others have said on here, you will need to look for an older house to be able to keep pets. A lot of the Uni students will be going home in the next couple of weeks after exams so hopefully more will come on the market then.
thank you so much and yes to UQ! tried those areas, we've just put an application in for fig tree pocket but will hear tomorrow, fingers crossed. would love to meet up for lunch will pm u if we ever get anywhere and thank u for the rental tipx
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Just did a search around my local area (Wello Point). Real Estate showing 30 properties. Try postcode 4160 and surrounds.

Dont know if you like the idea of Bayside. Personally we love it.

I can recommend a real estate letting agent who isnt a shark who we dealt with if you want to PM me.
thank you we've put in an application for a hosu in fig tree pocket find out tomorrow, smaller than we want adn to be honest bit in middle of nowhere for me but can't be choosy, we havent' made it to bayside yet but will hopefuly be up there in next few days x
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hi, you may know these details already, but just in case you don't, try www.realestate.com they cover the majority of stuff, I have just been shopping in Bracken Ridge and was looking at estate agents for buying stuff but there seemed to be a fair few rentals available, they may be worth contacting, they cover the bracken ridge, carseldine, bald hills areas which are nice, we've moved to bracken ridge with a 2 year old and there's parks etc. it's close to the coast and there's kindy, schools. etc.etc. The estate agents are ray hwite and raine and horne they are in the multiplex shopping centre in bracken ridge on telegraph road, if you are looking up the number. Good luck.
thank you so much, funnily enough we were up by albany creek today out lookin x
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tking
Don't worry too much about the air-con, the kids won't fry, most people here use fans and not air-con in their bedrooms (well I do anyway!). It does get hot but you acclimitize quickly - especially the kids, just keep them hydrated!
thanks! think I better buy some megga ones, jsut worried as the kids are so small x
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
hiya liverbird

have you tried ipswich, we came to oz in july 24th and found our ideal rental in a lovely estate and ray white had us in within a week, the first few weeks are incredibly hard and i can sympathise with you with the homesickness i get it every pmt, its not even homesickness its people sickness, it is very hard, pm me if you want a shoulder to cry on. we live in the grammar park estate in brassall and the warrego highway all but takes you into brisbane on one road, we have done it in 30 minutes (althought not sure where st lucia is). we have a rental just up the road if you are interested.

hope this helps

louise
thanks that's kind of you and havent' thought about there to be honest, we've just put an application in to fig tree pocket, god knows if it will be accepted but just keeping our fingers crossed , would love to meet up if we ever get anywhere and i completely agree it's the people, you can't replace friends youve made, Makes it hard as i had to leave all my 'mummy 'mates that i made when i was pregnant with my now three year old.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caleb2003
4 cats and 2 dogs plus young kids my god you're mad.

We have 2 dogs but got rid of our cat when my first was born and I've got to be honest I can't find time to spend with the dogs now the 2nds here (anyone know of a good home in the UK for 2 cocker Spaniels?).

Good luck to you, personally speaking I agree with saying you only got 1 cat but wouldn't try to mask the dogs.

We've been also worrying about this regarding bringing our dogs when we eventually get there (can't find a good home for them with all the people we know so theres no way i'm just putting them in the paper!) so i'll be interested to see how it pans out for you.

All the best
I know! thank you but they're all like our family and it's like losing a family member, don't flameme. We're going to ship the cats and one of the dogs who's clear and just pray to god the other dog gets the all clear and joins us x
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brissydeb
my husbands uncle rents out apartments in east Brisbane near kangaroo point...........let us know if you want us to get into contact with him to see what he has to offer........
yes please! but I don't know if we'll all fit into an apartment as we need outside space for us all, but am so grateful to you for thinking of me, we've put in an application for a place in fig tree pocket , willh ear tomorrow so fingers crossed....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.