Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Originally Posted by liver bird
Does anyone, anywhere please know of any decent rentals that take pets ? I know it's our own fault for having dogs and cats but have spent £££££s since friday when we arrived looking at properties on the net and there is NOTHING out there, have widened our areas and upped our money so all we'll be able to eat for the next six months till we buy is tim tams! (no bad thing!)! Hubbie working at st lucia and we are staying in holiday accom in toowong but it's so expensive. We've looked at everywhere up to the gap, chermside, hamilton, and done indooroopilly, hendra, balmoral, bulimba, morningside, riverhills, bardon, auchenflower, coorparoo, yeronga, toowong, chapel hill, kenmore hill, fig tree pocket, sinammon park and there's nowhere. Walked into loads of estate agents (graceville, sherwood chelmer , toowong, allpeople lovely but all the rentals we like are gone already. Air con seems to be a thing of the past or they only do two rooms, living and main bedroom, so does that mean our two little ones are going to fry? and with temps going to go into the hundreds, with two under three and on tight budget am panicking. I know it's early days but can anyone suggest any areas? would be so grateful. Suddenly the UK seems v far away and am just having a crap day so forgive moan.
We're now looking at bayside (even though we haven't driven out there yet, that's tomorrow) but manly hasn't got any rentals for us and wynnum neither. Do you reckon we have to move to the gold coast to get anywhere? Plus before I came out I kept reading about people finding a suburb and just 'knowing it was right' and I haven't!! I find it all a bit much, seems to be like london where you have to find a decent suburb with restaurants etc out of central brisbane to live in?
I'm so pathetic Im terrified of the roads (never drove on motorways in the UK) , AND a cockroach nearly ran over my foot the other night outside our apartment, thought it was a leaf until I clocked it then went hysterical! , (told u I was pathetic) kids not sleeping cos of jet lag, up at 11.30pm till 5am for the past three nights, am knackered, keep feeling really tearful when someone speaks to me nicrely, even the cashier in woolworths (even though they won't let me pack my own bags!) Anyone out in bayside give us some good commutable suburbs to st lucia???sorry for rambling, am going to have xx
Calm down its not your fault there rental vacancy rate in QLD (and most parts of OZ) is below 1.5% so its difficult for most people, just allow some time, those coming over be aware of this and be prepared to rent temp accom for possibly a bit longer.

Traffic, yes brisbane is now as bad as Syd and Melb, avoid anytime around peak, get out and look for rentals mid day or something its not hot yet so that wont cause the usual dramas with heat.

Weve rented with dogs, accepting an older property is just the way it goes, older properties dont usually mind a bit more risk of damage, but whatever you do dont do the UK thing and say they will be inside that is a big NO NO here, most dogs are outside creatures in OZ.

Good luck you will find something.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Hi there. Hope you are feeling a little bit better after all the good advice you've already received from previous posters. We live in Brisbane now (Bayside) but went to Melbourne first. We had a dog and 2 cats. Finding a rental was a complete nightmare - plus I was 4 months pregnant. I was soooooooo stressed. We found one eventually but it was an older property and was not exactly what we would have wanted. There always seems to be plenty of rentals at Thornlands or Redland Bay (Redland Bay might be a bit far out for you though). Both of these areas are nice enough. Also Victoria Point is a large area with a big new estate so might be worth a look. I think lots of us will have been where you are right now. Take those deep breaths and move onto the next area. You WILL find something. Good luck.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Half time and were winning 1-0

Hope that Cher's you up.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:04 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

Just spoke to my hubby who is in the real estate business. His advice is as follows:

All rentals fall into one of 3 categories - those who won't take pets, those who will consider pets (depending on type and how many), and those who accept pets.

If you look on www.realestate.com.au at all the rentals, most smart agents will indicate on their advertisement's written descriptions whether or not pets are acceptable.

Don't bother looking at townhouses in complexes, because the majority of complexes don't allow pets. Keep your search to houses.

If you have no luck on realestate.com.au, try www.domain.com.au. They are the second biggest real estate website in the country.

Good luck!

W
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

At least we won 3-0 the final score so were through to the knockout stages.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Does anyone, anywhere please know of any decent rentals that take pets ? I know it's our own fault for having dogs and cats but have spent £££££s since friday when we arrived looking at properties on the net and there is NOTHING out there, have widened our areas and upped our money so all we'll be able to eat for the next six months till we buy is tim tams! (no bad thing!)! Hubbie working at st lucia and we are staying in holiday accom in toowong but it's so expensive. We've looked at everywhere up to the gap, chermside, hamilton, and done indooroopilly, hendra, balmoral, bulimba, morningside, riverhills, bardon, auchenflower, coorparoo, yeronga, toowong, chapel hill, kenmore hill, fig tree pocket, sinammon park and there's nowhere. Walked into loads of estate agents (graceville, sherwood chelmer , toowong, allpeople lovely but all the rentals we like are gone already. Air con seems to be a thing of the past or they only do two rooms, living and main bedroom, so does that mean our two little ones are going to fry? and with temps going to go into the hundreds, with two under three and on tight budget am panicking. I know it's early days but can anyone suggest any areas? would be so grateful. Suddenly the UK seems v far away and am just having a crap day so forgive moan.
We're now looking at bayside (even though we haven't driven out there yet, that's tomorrow) but manly hasn't got any rentals for us and wynnum neither. Do you reckon we have to move to the gold coast to get anywhere? Plus before I came out I kept reading about people finding a suburb and just 'knowing it was right' and I haven't!! I find it all a bit much, seems to be like london where you have to find a decent suburb with restaurants etc out of central brisbane to live in?
I'm so pathetic Im terrified of the roads (never drove on motorways in the UK) , AND a cockroach nearly ran over my foot the other night outside our apartment, thought it was a leaf until I clocked it then went hysterical! , (told u I was pathetic) kids not sleeping cos of jet lag, up at 11.30pm till 5am for the past three nights, am knackered, keep feeling really tearful when someone speaks to me nicrely, even the cashier in woolworths (even though they won't let me pack my own bags!) Anyone out in bayside give us some good commutable suburbs to st lucia???sorry for rambling, am going to have xx
Hiya,

I've heard that rentals in Brisbane are really tight at the mo...have you tried looking a little further out??
We ended up doing this as central places are so expensive!!!
The suburbs you mentioned are very pricey, esp Hamilton etc
I have two little ones, so if you fancy meeting up when you get settled drop me a PM!
Good Luck
Tanya x
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to say 'chin up'. Although we aren't in Bayside, we had the same issues when we came over to Sydney [dog, lack of rentals that is],however, we have now moved into a lovely rental in a lovely area. The owners of this house [as it was their home and they have now relocated to the USA] initially didn't want pets, but because we offered to pay double bond, they finally agreed.
We did look at loads, lots which had either already gone or were absolute dumps, so it is disheartening, but you WILL find something, you just need to keep looking and looking.

The first couple of weeks are very emotional, and I think that is more to do with tiredness and jet lag than anything else.....and if you are like me, I can cope with most things, but not lack of sleep!!

Cheer up, take comfort from knowing that you are not alone in how you feel, and that lots of people on here understand EXACTLY where you are coming from!

Stay focused, try to chill.....it will come good
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:07 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I know there are folks in Oz who don't declare that they have doggies/pets when they go to rent something and during the 6 monthly house checks they simply take the dog to a friendly neighbour's house!!
It's always an option if all else fails.
And i have heard of people doing this and being caught out and given notice to vacate, so I would suggest it is not the best idea. I am a landlord and will happily allow pets, but I would evict tenants if they said they were not bringing pets then tried to smuggle them in - I cannot stand liars.

As for bayside suburbs - if hubby needs to get to St Lucia, I would suggest one of the suburbs on the rail line. I know someone who goes in by train, then catches a ferry across to UQ to work.

What is your weekly budget for a rental and apart from allowing pets, what sort of things are important to you?
close to rail or bus?
Close to shops?
Close to park?
How many beds?
Aircon a must?
etc.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
I am frantically searching the net for you and hoping i can find something for you......but if i can't ( which i doubt it...i am shite on the pc) i am sure someone from BE will come to your rescue.

Its going to be hard be hang in there ........it's only early days and once you have found a rental i am sure you will begin to feel more settled.

D xxx
thank you so much, that's so kind. feel bit better this morning and back on to my real estate search.....argh!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi,

1) the kids will be fine - give them a few more days, try to keep them awake as much as poss in daylight hours

2) Weepiness is normal - you're stressed and struggling a bit

3) How much are you spending / prepared to spend on rent per week / month?
ta will do, bit better last night baby up at 4.30am but hubby got up with her
and probably spendwise about 350 to even 500 but 500 really really pushing it.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DagBoy
And i have heard of people doing this and being caught out and given notice to vacate, so I would suggest it is not the best idea. I am a landlord and will happily allow pets, but I would evict tenants if they said they were not bringing pets then tried to smuggle them in - I cannot stand liars.

As for bayside suburbs - if hubby needs to get to St Lucia, I would suggest one of the suburbs on the rail line. I know someone who goes in by train, then catches a ferry across to UQ to work.

What is your weekly budget for a rental and apart from allowing pets, what sort of things are important to you?
close to rail or bus?
Close to shops?
Close to park?
How many beds?
Aircon a must?
etc.

Cheers,

DagBoy
no wouldn't lie, don't think we could hide four cats and two dogs (hopefully!) anyway!
close to shops, aircon and good for hubby I suppose, ta for that will look at the rail links
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Calm down its not your fault there rental vacancy rate in QLD (and most parts of OZ) is below 1.5% so its difficult for most people, just allow some time, those coming over be aware of this and be prepared to rent temp accom for possibly a bit longer.

Traffic, yes brisbane is now as bad as Syd and Melb, avoid anytime around peak, get out and look for rentals mid day or something its not hot yet so that wont cause the usual dramas with heat.

Weve rented with dogs, accepting an older property is just the way it goes, older properties dont usually mind a bit more risk of damage, but whatever you do dont do the UK thing and say they will be inside that is a big NO NO here, most dogs are outside creatures in OZ.

Good luck you will find something.
thanks so much
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Issie
Have you tried these.

A buzz homestay

They take pets too

good luck hun
thanks will have a look x
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Liver

I really feel for you. Everyone's given you really good advice already and I can't add to that... but I see you've got 4 cats, so I would be very tempted to say that you've got one instead. Lots of cats put people off a bit, but they're easy to 'hide', as if they're in the yard, you can say they're the neighbours' cats or whatever. I really wouldn't go in asking for a rental with the 4...

That's just my opinion though ... I don't agree with 'hiding' dogs at a neighbours or whatever ... just come clean about that and say you have them, but imo, one cat is much better sounding.
Rental agents pop round to inspect your property every few months to make sure you're not wrecking the place, so at this point, you'd have to shove them all outside, or shut them in the laundry or something.. If the creatures were all in the back yard the agent prob wouldn't want to go out there anyway, as most of them want to keep their designer suit and flash haircut in order!

Really wishing you the best of luck ... I remember looking for rentals and we spent three weeks doing it, and in the end, we came back to the very first place we looked at!!! I have to say, our judgement was really bad and we really were terribly indecisive when it came to making our minds up... When the jetlag had truly gone, things were much clearer.

Hang in there and do try to take a few minutes out doing something really nice for yourselves amidst all the stress... go the beach, get some chicken and chips and have a picnic with the kids or something.... It's a beautiful time of year for you... It will be ok.
We're all here to help.

x
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:08 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Bellbowrie? There are lots of new build investment properties. Its 25 minutes to the university. There are a couple of estate agents in the shopping centre. I'll be here all day tomorrow, pm me and you can come round for a cup of tea, friendly face and I'll come down to the agents with you. We rented through one of them so they know me quite well.

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.