Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:12 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

hi

i am newly arrived in bayside and in redland bay, there are deff rentals here, i will dig the number out for you................... and they take doggies, our friends have a dog and there are dog next door! the guy is a nice guy and will sort you for a min 6 month rental im sure, that will give you time to chill and find an area for YOU!

will be back in a tic!

mand

p.s sent you a pm

Last edited by mandtooz; Oct 31st 2006 at 10:25 am.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Have you tried Yeronga, Yerongpilly, Fairfield, Dutton Park etc. with the new Green Bridge due to open on 15 Dec it would be a short journey to St Lucia. Is it UQ hubbie will be working? I work there and so does my hubbie! We'll have to meet up for lunch!
Lack of sleep will account for how you are feeling, it WILL get better. Like others have said on here, you will need to look for an older house to be able to keep pets. A lot of the Uni students will be going home in the next couple of weeks after exams so hopefully more will come on the market then.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a search around my local area (Wello Point). Real Estate showing 30 properties. Try postcode 4160 and surrounds.

Dont know if you like the idea of Bayside. Personally we love it.

I can recommend a real estate letting agent who isnt a shark who we dealt with if you want to PM me.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all
Smile Re: help! newly arrived, homesick and can't find any decent rentals!

Originally Posted by liver bird
Does anyone, anywhere please know of any decent rentals that take pets ? I know it's our own fault for having dogs and cats but have spent £££££s since friday when we arrived looking at properties on the net and there is NOTHING out there, have widened our areas and upped our money so all we'll be able to eat for the next six months till we buy is tim tams! (no bad thing!)! Hubbie working at st lucia and we are staying in holiday accom in toowong but it's so expensive. We've looked at everywhere up to the gap, chermside, hamilton, and done indooroopilly, hendra, balmoral, bulimba, morningside, riverhills, bardon, auchenflower, coorparoo, yeronga, toowong, chapel hill, kenmore hill, fig tree pocket, sinammon park and there's nowhere. Walked into loads of estate agents (graceville, sherwood chelmer , toowong, allpeople lovely but all the rentals we like are gone already. Air con seems to be a thing of the past or they only do two rooms, living and main bedroom, so does that mean our two little ones are going to fry? and with temps going to go into the hundreds, with two under three and on tight budget am panicking. I know it's early days but can anyone suggest any areas? would be so grateful. Suddenly the UK seems v far away and am just having a crap day so forgive moan.
We're now looking at bayside (even though we haven't driven out there yet, that's tomorrow) but manly hasn't got any rentals for us and wynnum neither. Do you reckon we have to move to the gold coast to get anywhere? Plus before I came out I kept reading about people finding a suburb and just 'knowing it was right' and I haven't!! I find it all a bit much, seems to be like london where you have to find a decent suburb with restaurants etc out of central brisbane to live in?
I'm so pathetic Im terrified of the roads (never drove on motorways in the UK) , AND a cockroach nearly ran over my foot the other night outside our apartment, thought it was a leaf until I clocked it then went hysterical! , (told u I was pathetic) kids not sleeping cos of jet lag, up at 11.30pm till 5am for the past three nights, am knackered, keep feeling really tearful when someone speaks to me nicrely, even the cashier in woolworths (even though they won't let me pack my own bags!) Anyone out in bayside give us some good commutable suburbs to st lucia???sorry for rambling, am going to have xx
Hi, you may know these details already, but just in case you don't, try www.realestate.com they cover the majority of stuff, I have just been shopping in Bracken Ridge and was looking at estate agents for buying stuff but there seemed to be a fair few rentals available, they may be worth contacting, they cover the bracken ridge, carseldine, bald hills areas which are nice, we've moved to bracken ridge with a 2 year old and there's parks etc. it's close to the coast and there's kindy, schools. etc.etc. The estate agents are ray hwite and raine and horne they are in the multiplex shopping centre in bracken ridge on telegraph road, if you are looking up the number. Good luck.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about the air-con, the kids won't fry, most people here use fans and not air-con in their bedrooms (well I do anyway!). It does get hot but you acclimitize quickly - especially the kids, just keep them hydrated!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:41 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone, anywhere please know of any decent rentals that take pets ? I know it's our own fault for having dogs and cats but have spent £££££s since friday when we arrived looking at properties on the net and there is NOTHING out there, have widened our areas and upped our money so all we'll be able to eat for the next six months till we buy is tim tams! (no bad thing!)! Hubbie working at st lucia and we are staying in holiday accom in toowong but it's so expensive. We've looked at everywhere up to the gap, chermside, hamilton, and done indooroopilly, hendra, balmoral, bulimba, morningside, riverhills, bardon, auchenflower, coorparoo, yeronga, toowong, chapel hill, kenmore hill, fig tree pocket, sinammon park and there's nowhere. Walked into loads of estate agents (graceville, sherwood chelmer , toowong, allpeople lovely but all the rentals we like are gone already. Air con seems to be a thing of the past or they only do two rooms, living and main bedroom, so does that mean our two little ones are going to fry? and with temps going to go into the hundreds, with two under three and on tight budget am panicking. I know it's early days but can anyone suggest any areas? would be so grateful. Suddenly the UK seems v far away and am just having a crap day so forgive moan.
We're now looking at bayside (even though we haven't driven out there yet, that's tomorrow) but manly hasn't got any rentals for us and wynnum neither. Do you reckon we have to move to the gold coast to get anywhere? Plus before I came out I kept reading about people finding a suburb and just 'knowing it was right' and I haven't!! I find it all a bit much, seems to be like london where you have to find a decent suburb with restaurants etc out of central brisbane to live in?
I'm so pathetic Im terrified of the roads (never drove on motorways in the UK) , AND a cockroach nearly ran over my foot the other night outside our apartment, thought it was a leaf until I clocked it then went hysterical! , (told u I was pathetic) kids not sleeping cos of jet lag, up at 11.30pm till 5am for the past three nights, am knackered, keep feeling really tearful when someone speaks to me nicrely, even the cashier in woolworths (even though they won't let me pack my own bags!) Anyone out in bayside give us some good commutable suburbs to st lucia???sorry for rambling, am going to have xx
Aww Mands, sorry to hear that you're battling. Have sent you a PM.

Nicky
xxxx
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

hiya liverbird

have you tried ipswich, we came to oz in july 24th and found our ideal rental in a lovely estate and ray white had us in within a week, the first few weeks are incredibly hard and i can sympathise with you with the homesickness i get it every pmt, its not even homesickness its people sickness, it is very hard, pm me if you want a shoulder to cry on. we live in the grammar park estate in brassall and the warrego highway all but takes you into brisbane on one road, we have done it in 30 minutes (althought not sure where st lucia is). we have a rental just up the road if you are interested.

hope this helps

louise

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Hi Liverbird,

These things are sent to try us !
Hopefully when you read this we will have beat Bordeaux
Hope you get something sorted soon, please keep us informed as we will be in the same position early next year. eek thats only 2 months off!
We have 2 dogs

Chin up.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Hi Liver

I really feel for you. Everyone's given you really good advice already and I can't add to that... but I see you've got 4 cats, so I would be very tempted to say that you've got one instead. Lots of cats put people off a bit, but they're easy to 'hide', as if they're in the yard, you can say they're the neighbours' cats or whatever. I really wouldn't go in asking for a rental with the 4...

That's just my opinion though ... I don't agree with 'hiding' dogs at a neighbours or whatever ... just come clean about that and say you have them, but imo, one cat is much better sounding.
Rental agents pop round to inspect your property every few months to make sure you're not wrecking the place, so at this point, you'd have to shove them all outside, or shut them in the laundry or something.. If the creatures were all in the back yard the agent prob wouldn't want to go out there anyway, as most of them want to keep their designer suit and flash haircut in order!

Really wishing you the best of luck ... I remember looking for rentals and we spent three weeks doing it, and in the end, we came back to the very first place we looked at!!! I have to say, our judgement was really bad and we really were terribly indecisive when it came to making our minds up... When the jetlag had truly gone, things were much clearer.

Hang in there and do try to take a few minutes out doing something really nice for yourselves amidst all the stress... go the beach, get some chicken and chips and have a picnic with the kids or something.... It's a beautiful time of year for you... It will be ok.
We're all here to help.

x

thank you so so much, and good idea about the cats, we've just put in an applictation out of desperation today so we're keeping everything crossed - still feeling like getting on the first plane. Just heard that one of our dogs has failed the erlichia test again, gutted. so homesick never mind
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hey Liverbird,

STOP!! Be kind to yourself!! You've just made a major move in life please don't go stressing out now and making things worse for yourself. Everything will fall into place. The doggy "will they wont they" situation was enough in itself without the whole flights/arriving and settling in thing. Just look at what you've managed in such a short time. Stop and give yourself some credit for all you've done recently.
I know there are folks in Oz who don't declare that they have doggies/pets when they go to rent something and during the 6 monthly house checks they simply take the dog to a friendly neighbour's house!!
It's always an option if all else fails.
You will find something darl.
Just hang in there and it will all come good soon enough. I know it's not easy and can seem so much more difficult over there - but it's not really. It's just that you have to adjust to different ways of going about things and knowing your way around day to day life out there. It all takes a while and wont happen instantly.
Just try and do a little bit at a time and let the your new life down under unfold in it's own time.
Thinking of you and your pooches,

*pearly* xxxx
will pm you x
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

4 cats and 2 dogs plus young kids my god you're mad.

We have 2 dogs but got rid of our cat when my first was born and I've got to be honest I can't find time to spend with the dogs now the 2nds here (anyone know of a good home in the UK for 2 cocker Spaniels?).

Good luck to you, personally speaking I agree with saying you only got 1 cat but wouldn't try to mask the dogs.

We've been also worrying about this regarding bringing our dogs when we eventually get there (can't find a good home for them with all the people we know so theres no way i'm just putting them in the paper!) so i'll be interested to see how it pans out for you.

All the best
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by caleb2003
4 cats and 2 dogs plus young kids my god you're mad.

We have 2 dogs but got rid of our cat when my first was born and I've got to be honest I can't find time to spend with the dogs now the 2nds here (anyone know of a good home in the UK for 2 cocker Spaniels?).

Good luck to you, personally speaking I agree with saying you only got 1 cat but wouldn't try to mask the dogs.

We've been also worrying about this regarding bringing our dogs when we eventually get there (can't find a good home for them with all the people we know so theres no way i'm just putting them in the paper!) so i'll be interested to see how it pans out for you.

All the best
We brought our Cocker Spaniel over with us - couldn't leave her behind. Are you a member of 'Cockersonline'? www.cockersonline.co.uk. If you really don't want to bring them with you then it may be worth posting on there as they are all Cocker people. Otherwise the Cocker Rescue in your area will be happy to help I'm sure.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

my husbands uncle rents out apartments in east Brisbane near kangaroo point...........let us know if you want us to get into contact with him to see what he has to offer........
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:56 am
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all

Hi Liverbird,
fingers crossed with your application - I know, moving heaps of times sucks, but at least you'll be able to breath, eat more than tim tams and have a look around without all the stress. If you were moving to a new town in UK you might move again after 6 months as well, after getting to know the place properly, making friends in certain areas, finding child care etc...
Did you bring furniture over?
Somebody else said make most of the daylight hours - even though you don't know how to possibly fit more into your day at the moment, take a look around and try to tire the little ones out during the day, it'll help all of you sleep. Check out the wildlife! Nothing's more relaxing than staring at a pod of dolphins, kangaroos, cockatoos (err, if they keep their beaks shut)...
What is the erlichia test? Excuse my ignorance, haven't got dogs. What does it mean? Is the dog stuck in quarantine at the mo?
Good luck with that, too!
sk
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:02 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Liverbird,
We are heading out to Brisbane next summer with a Dog and 2 Cats, our biggest worry is getting a rental that will let us keep them. Good luck I hope you find something suitable soon.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

we had a really rough ride the first 2 and bit weeks we were here. every single day we spent the whole day trailing round inner south suburbs looking for a place to live and they were either really horrific or had about 100 people interested in them.

at one point we were probably putting in anywhere between 2 and 5 applications a day and had just resolved ourselves to upping our budget and/or living in a crappy house in the middle of no-where for a year (it's only a year!)

we had two dogs, students, no jobs, no proof of income (other than bank statement saying how much we had in there!) and everyone just knocked us back continually. infact the first house we went to apply for the guy didn't even let us fill in the application form!!!!!!

then in the same day we were accepted for 2 rentals, and offered a 3rd by an agent who'd had to refuse us the day before (and felt bad!). we're now living in a great house, air con, 2 large bedrooms, huge yard, quiet dead end street in woolloongabba and paying $300pw for it (inc gardening).

we were also at the stage of just getting on a plane and going home and all of a sudden everything just sorted itself out again.

don't give up!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.