Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help for new immigrants?

Help for new immigrants?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:10 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Help for new immigrants?

Hi,

Had an interesting conversation with some fellow ex-pat friends the other night. They were talking about the lack of help for new immigrants from the Australian government, I was interested in other peoples thoughts as it's not something my wife and I agreed with at all...

Ultimately we made the decision to move here and we've received no help from the Australian government or any other sort of agency. We landed, found our way around, found somewhere to live, found work, found friends and began to build a life here. At no point, even when things may have got a bit tough, did we receive or expect any help from any sort of official organization. We're happy with this and don't feel that Australia has let us down in any way, in fact my wife wants to give back to Australia in some way because we're so happy with what we've got.

Any thoughts?

Should new immigrants get help? If so what, how much and where should it end?

Cheers.

PS. If our friends should read this please don't be offended, we were just curious in what other people thought!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:28 am
Living the dream

LiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really niceLiveBait is just really nice
Default Re: Help for new immigrants?

Very interesting subject. We've been here since Nov 06 and like you got no help from the govenment.

This is fine if you know anybody here (friends or family) but if you were starting over and didn't know anyone then it would be extremly tough. Our first few days were what have we done? we don't know how to do anything. But you soon find you feet and its the best move we made.

Should people get help, yeah maybe. I would'nt recommend hand holding but a few good pointers from people who have made the same move would help ease those first few days.

Anyway, those are my thoughts
LiveBait