Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying house in aus before you get your visa is it possible!!!!!!!

buying house in aus before you get your visa is it possible!!!!!!!

Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

madmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant future
Default buying house in aus before you get your visa is it possible!!!!!!!

hi there
not sure if anyone will know the answer to this.we have just sent off our visa app on 138 and are hoping we get a yes.
we have sold our house here and we are hoping to go to perth.
however we are watching the houses going up daily there and as we have a fair ammount of capital here we wondered if it is possible to purchase a house over there as even if we get the visa we are not planning to go until 2009 to save disrupting lads schooling.
we have family in perth who would have the enviable task of finding us a house.so is it possible or if we transfered money could my uncle buy it for us in his name.
obviously we want to do everything correctly.
thanks in advance
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying house in aus before you get your visa is it possible!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by madmaz
hi there
not sure if anyone will know the answer to this.we have just sent off our visa app on 138 and are hoping we get a yes.
however we are watching the houses going up daily there and as we have a fair ammount of capital here we wondered if it is possible to purchase a house over there as even if we get the visa we are not planning to go until 2009 to save disrupting lads schooling.
we have family in perth who would have the enviable task of finding us a house.so is it possible or if we transfered money could my uncle buy it for us in his name.
thanks in advance

You'd need approval from these guys. http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp

I wouldn't buy it in your uncles name though because when you got here and transferred it to your name you'd probably end up paying stamp duty, so in effect you'd be paying twice (I think, as I'd presume you'd have to buy it off him).
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

madmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
You'd need approval from these guys. http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp

I wouldn't buy it in your uncles name though because when you got here and transferred it to your name you'd probably end up paying stamp duty, so in effect you'd be paying twice (I think, as I'd presume you'd have to buy it off him).
thanks for the link wendy just sent an email off to them so hopefully they can clear up any questions we have
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the link wendy just sent an email off to them so hopefully they can clear up any questions we have

Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:57 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I love this forum!!! we've just got back from a week in Brisbane and have seen a house we'd like to make an offer on. Was saying to hubby this morning I'll go on expats and get some information...it was meant to be!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's a seriously bad idea. Not only are you potentially exposed to double stamp duty, but what if your uncle claimed the house as his own (things like this have happened before).
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's a seriously bad idea. Not only are you potentially exposed to double stamp duty, but what if your uncle claimed the house as his own (things like this have happened before).
And, what if you don't get your visa? You've just spent a wad of money on a house you can't live in.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:23 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

hi there
thanks in advance

I shouldn't panic mate house prices in Perth have peaked for the moment and if anything thay are dropping, not crashing by any means but just leveling off.
I know how it feels, the pressure to get in and get on but it is expensive to sell and buy if you don't like what your relies find for you, about $35000 on a $400,000 house. Plus if you buy it you will get the $7500 grant.

Kevin
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys for all the replys
can now see the point of the double stamp duty.obviously i have to think what happens if we dont get the visa.(OMG DONT WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT)little chance of my uncle doing that he is so keen for us to come he has been out looking at houses and has offered to buy us one.
we were lucky enough to both have a house before we met so this money would just be an investment so if worse came to worst hopfully the house would just go up in value and we would have a house to move into if we ever get there.
lots more to think about and cheers for all the replies.
ps anyone in perth know where we can buy a cheap house LOL
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Paula 67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. house prices have reached a peak and you will prob be better buying in two years. houses are now on the market and not selling but people dont want to drop the prices yet as feel still at a peak and want to cash is. so lots more houses available and no investors are buying here at the moment, so i would wait. I know some people who have just sold and done well but who will now rent for two years and then buy again when houses more affordable.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Yes, we just saw our agent about listing our house, and the current market it is away lower price than we were hoping to get, but we are hoping for a quick sale so we can go to UK.