Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed replying to threads

Help needed replying to threads

Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:10 pm
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed replying to threads

I'm not sure if I'm replying to threads properly-not very computer literate so ability is pretty limited as not born in computer age (just a bit thick really!) seriously though I've been going to reply and submit but is that right-it looks as if I'm replying to myself, which isn't unusual for me in everyday life but I've had some good advice from a previous thread and would like to thank people. Any advice will have to be in specific detail and easy to follow so anyone with the time and patience to help would be greatly valued. If I am doing it right-how the heck do I clear all the messages and replies, is there anywhere in the site programme that would give me help?
Thanks in advance Scanny.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed replying to threads

Originally Posted by scanny
I'm not sure if I'm replying to threads properly-not very computer literate so ability is pretty limited as not born in computer age (just a bit thick really!) seriously though I've been going to reply and submit but is that right-it looks as if I'm replying to myself, which isn't unusual for me in everyday life but I've had some good advice from a previous thread and would like to thank people. Any advice will have to be in specific detail and easy to follow so anyone with the time and patience to help would be greatly valued. If I am doing it right-how the heck do I clear all the messages and replies, is there anywhere in the site programme that would give me help?
There are two ways to reply. One is (like I have done here) click on the reply button in the bottom right of the box you want to reply to. That way, you get to quote the original message - handy if you are replying to something that 10 other people already have.
The second one is to click on the reply button at the bottom left of the whole page. This one gives you a blank canvas to write you message in.
In either case, you can press 'preview post' before you submit to make sure that it looks right. Then finally submit puts your message 'live' on the board.
If you read it at this stage and see spelling mistakes etc (we all do ) then you can click edit in the bottom right of your message.

Hope this helps (hope it's clear for starters )

Last edited by wmoore; Oct 19th 2004 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scanny
There is a small blue rectangular button with reply on it in the bottom right hand corner of the message. Click on this and you'll get a new screen. This will contain the quote (the message you are replying to). Go to the bottom where it ends the quote (square bracket slash QUOTE square bracket). Click below this and type your reply. Then click on submit reply at the bottom (grey rectangular button below smileys). This then takes back to the thread showing your reply with the quote embedded.

There is also a small blue rectangular button blow the thread on the left which says New Reply. This will do the same thing but without embedding the quote from the previous message. It seems to be there sometimes and not others. Obviously a magical vanishing button.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

And to answer the other bit which I missed out completely. If you don't want the message you are replying to quoted but clicked on the reply button (Rather than New Reply) then just click at the top of the quote and drag your mouse down to highlight the quote then delete it.

I hope this makes some sense to you.