Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth cost of living$$$

Perth cost of living$$$

Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:22 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth cost of living$$$

Hi all,

just been reading Jills thread and can agree with the cost of living here.

Basically think you really have to do your homework - it's not like at home where you go to the supermarket & fill your trolley - you have to start thinking more like an aussie.

Anyway made some super discoveries myself that are cheaper - some things really are cheaper.

Wanneroo market - think it's Friday,Saturday,Sunday. This Sunday bought shed loads of Fish, Meats (lovely bacon Jill cut off a joint in front of me!), 4 bags of fresh fruit and veggies and 2 loaves of bread. Lovely veggies too - avocado, watercress, passion fruit, strawbs etc etc etc fridge is full - all cost $80 - now thats cheap and it tastes fantastic all from growers market. So thats where I will be making a big saving and you can sit outside and eat the fresh fish and loads of other goodies - not scenic but quite gritty real aussie place.

Second log onto www.hotdockets.co.au . I am joining a gym in Joondalup and I can get a platinum membership fpr $385 for a year - now that is cheap! There are loads of other vouchers on there too.

I can fill up my car for $37 - thats great too.

I am finding it an eye opener - used to the finer things in life like most people I guess but it's not like that here everyone is trying to get a bargain somewhere. There are some things I will not give up. Like good hair products and makeup but it's not an every day expense.

I am signed up with Optus now. The payg for the mobile with Telstra communic8 was costing a packet - with APT for the home phone - cheap international calls.

I am making a concession of no Foxtel at the moment. To be perfectly honest I am not a great TV watcher but what I have seen has been ok, CSI is one every minute, pop idol, Six Feet Under - that kind of thing.

I am a real snob at heart I guess - wouldn't buy cheap clothes for example - think I'll be going for a surf look here because thats not too expensive for the good makes!

Ed has settled into his job ok - sounds like a breeze - he's going body boarding this arvo!

My eldest started ballet - it was $66 which again think is cheap for a whole term.

Still spending money like water at the moment - at Bunnings every 5 minutes for paint and stuff and there seems to be something everyday we just can't find or didn't bring.

Anyway hope this offers a little insight into what I am coming accross.

Max
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth cost of living$$$

Very interesting read Maxpaxx we are hoping to come out to Perth next year it will be nice to feel that your not being ripped off all the time like in the UK obviously there will be some stuff that is dearer but its the everyday purchases that count.
Cheers Dreamawy