Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help needed from british expat plumber in Brisbane

help needed from british expat plumber in Brisbane

Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:43 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default help needed from british expat plumber in Brisbane

Hi
Please can any expat british plumbers help me.My wife and i built a house under a owner builder licence and we have used a Australian plumber to do our plumbing but now it has come to the house being finished he is wanting a cash payment to get the council to inspect for the final,
I am upset that he has now got us over a barrel, we trusted him but he now knows that he can ask for more money to get an inspection.
My question is are there any proper english expat plumbers living near brisbane (i live in Mango Hill, just north of Brisbane) that would come and inspect the sinks etc and get a final for us on the house, i dont mind paying for you to come and do your job etc.
As this house is Owner Built the plumber that signs the house off will have no responsiblity to any of the plumbing as this house is not covered by BSA, we have to have our own insurance to cover things.
So if any expats can help out a expat please pm me and we can meet and talk.
What im saying is i would rather pay a expat money (for not doing any work on house only using your eyes) than give it to a Australian plumber that is asking for money because he knows we need him.
I feel as people have no morals here when it comes to some tradies
Please help me and my family
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed from british expat plumber in Brisbane

This doesn't sound right, Trevski. Have you got in contact with any authorities, such as the local council, or this lot: http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/pic

We had a bit of a problem with the plumber who worked on a previous new home that we built. The house had been handed over to us by the builder, we were living in it, and we needed to get gas bottles delivered for the HWS. The gas bottle supplier wouldn't deliver the bottles until we had the right bit of paper, which only the plumber can complete. The plumber was refusing to do the paperwork, as he said that the builder owed him money. We had to ring the builder to let him know what was happening, and got him to sort it out with the plumber. So yes, we experienced being held to ransom by a plumber.

What have you got in paperwork/contract with this plumber? Have you got his licence number?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

not sure if john knight is up that way who posts on here

i would also stick it in the tradies/ plumbers thread

good luck
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:02 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=HelenTD;9209392]This doesn't sound right, Trevski. Have you got in contact with any authorities, such as the local council, or this lot: http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/pic

We had a bit of a problem with the plumber who worked on a previous new home that we built. The house had been handed over to us by the builder, we were living in it, and we needed to get gas bottles delivered for the HWS. The gas bottle supplier wouldn't deliver the bottles until we had the right bit of paper, which only the plumber can complete. The plumber was refusing to do the paperwork, as he said that the builder owed him money. We had to ring the builder to let him know what was happening, and got him to sort it out with the plumber. So yes, we experienced being held to ransom by a plumber.

Hi
We have used him because we are the owner builder and i have built the home but we have had to use some trades to get certs, but as we are at final with plumbing he has said that he wont do a final and i think some other plumbers have said to him owner built homes cause probs for them and now he has changed his mind in the final and said he cant be bothered to do final and he said go and find another plumber but he knows that this is causing a big head ace for us but in the next sentance he said that people get more money for finals.
We dont have a contract with him we used him through the stages as required.
So thats why im asking if any expats/plumbers can come and check and help us get final.
When we built in uk we had people/trades check the work and we didnt have this much hassel.
it just feels as the tradie chop and change as to what money they want.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:03 am
Living our life wherever

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
not sure if john knight is up that way who posts on here

i would also stick it in the tradies/ plumbers thread

good luck
Any pointers in the right direction would help, thxs
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Trevski
Go here

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/plumbing/p...ck-form-2.html
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
Plumbers forum
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:07 am
Living our life wherever

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thxs i have posted it there aswell
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand your posts correctly you used a plumber as required in your O/B licence to do your plumbing work. You then say he wants to charge you to come & do the final but later say he doesn't want to do the final anyway
It's normal for the plumber to be on-site with the plumbing inspector, it can take a couple of hours if the tempering valve needs adjusting or the inspector just decides he wants more clips on pipework [usual niggle]
All up your plumber will lose half a day at your place inc travel so if he's charging you any more than that he's extorting money from you