Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help need advice

Help need advice

Old Dec 5th 2002, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

mullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help need advice

Have decided to emigrate to Australia.Family,under skilled independent,2 adults(wife registered nurse me media advertising)2 boys 10 and 12 both mad on sports.Pondering on Sydney or Brisbane.Any advice on where to live would be appreciated.Also,which nursing agency would or could people recommend.

Last edited by mullen; Dec 5th 2002 at 1:06 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2002, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney's nice but very, very expensive. If you take £3OOK you might be OK , otherwise Brisbane is your best bet of the two but remember jobs are thinner on the ground in Brisbane and life is dull. Sorry but that's my opinion. There are plenty of other poeple on this site who find it great and if you're an outdoor type who's not too worried about culture , it is nice.. What about Melbourne or Adelaide?
Old Dec 5th 2002, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It depends on what you like!!

Sydney is expensive - properties and land are sought after and you will need a lot of money if you want to live anywhere near Sydney central.The weather can be quite cool in the winter ( not as bad as here )but you may need the heating on and a coat when outside.
We noticed a real difference in the climate when we drove down from Bris to Sydney. We even had frost one morning in August !!
A lot more going on culture wise, but the people are distant, much like in London. Less beaches and they get very busy as everyone packs onto a small area, Bondi and Coogie are actually very small, but a real 'buzzing' atmosphere in the warm evenings.

Brisbane- more open spaces the Gold and Sunshine Coasts are fab if you like the outdoors. More temperate climate Average 20 in winter and 28 in Summer, can get very humid though and feel a lot hotter than this. If you move to Suburbs houses are still reasonaby priced, there is also more land available if you want to build your own property.
Wide open spaces and lots of National parks and fantastic long beaches to visit.

If I were you I would visit and then you will know for sure , Brisbane area ( Sunshine Coast ) definately did it for me, Sydney was too much like London for my liking.

best of luck
Old Dec 5th 2002, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

mullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers two replys its a start!!!!!Is Brisbane dull??????Why?????
Old Dec 6th 2002, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

peewee13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide is great - very relaxed and cheap to live, if you want the excitement you can go on hols to Sydney!

check out:
http://www.nursingagency.com.au/