Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP, I NEED A NEW LIFE :)

HELP, I NEED A NEW LIFE :)

Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

JPR59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP, I NEED A NEW LIFE :)

I am currently working in England as a bathroom fitter. I can tile, plumb, plaster. I do everything as a multi-skilled trades man, I am a very very hard worker, I am 51 years of age very healthy with no ailments and I can't seem to find the right visa that will grant me access and the right to work as of my age, can anybody help me, or put me in the right direction. My trade is on the Migration Occupation in Demand list but people say I need a sponsor can anybody help me????? If you help me I will fix your house free of charge

John
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, I NEED A NEW LIFE :)

Well age will be an issue, but not impossible.

You say your trade is on the list and in demand, what is your trade? are you a plumber, a tiler, a bathroom fitter or a plasterer. Do you have official qualifications for your trade?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPR59
I am currently working in England as a bathroom fitter. I can tile, plumb, plaster. I do everything as a multi-skilled trades man, I am a very very hard worker, I am 51 years of age very healthy with no ailments and I can't seem to find the right visa that will grant me access and the right to work as of my age, can anybody help me, or put me in the right direction. My trade is on the Migration Occupation in Demand list but people say I need a sponsor can anybody help me????? If you help me I will fix your house free of charge

John
Unfortunately you have left it too late for skilled migration, the cut off date is 50, although most would find it impossible to pass the points test after 45.

So your only option is employer sponsorship, but this is rare for trades who are often self-employed.

I think your chances of moving to Australia are quite slim, do you have any children living there?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Well age will be an issue, but not impossible.

You say your trade is on the list and in demand, what is your trade? are you a plumber, a tiler, a bathroom fitter or a plasterer. Do you have official qualifications for your trade?
Hi, Thanks for the response,

I am all of those, but I am mainly a ceramic wall and floor tiler with official qualifications in this trade.

Thank you for your help
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Unfortunately you have left it too late for skilled migration, the cut off date is 50, although most would find it impossible to pass the points test after 45.

So your only option is employer sponsorship, but this is rare for trades who are often self-employed.

I think your chances of moving to Australia are quite slim, do you have any children living there?
I am not self-employed and currently do not have any children over there, do you know of any companies in Australia willing to sponsor a trade?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

I'm hardly an expert, and I'm usually an optimist, but in all honesty I think you have left it too late. I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear, but i believe its the truth. Realistically, the visa applications takes some time, you have to have your skills assessed, and even if you were to find a company willing to sponsor a tradie, which from what I understand is very rare anyway, they are unlikely to want to sponsor someone of your age, as realistically they will have several applicants, most of which are likely to be younger than you.

Im 37 now, and im doing a degree in the hopes to emigrate, but I think even at 43 my chances to find a job and get out there will be very slim. I think you have to be realistic and simply forget it. Either that or marry a "sheila".....
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Reaver
I'm hardly an expert, and I'm usually an optimist, but in all honesty I think you have left it too late. I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear, but i believe its the truth. Realistically, the visa applications takes some time, you have to have your skills assessed, and even if you were to find a company willing to sponsor a tradie, which from what I understand is very rare anyway, they are unlikely to want to sponsor someone of your age, as realistically they will have several applicants, most of which are likely to be younger than you.

Im 37 now, and im doing a degree in the hopes to emigrate, but I think even at 43 my chances to find a job and get out there will be very slim. I think you have to be realistic and simply forget it. Either that or marry a "sheila".....
Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated, might as well go and find a sheila! ha!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not self-employed and currently do not have any children over there, do you know of any companies in Australia willing to sponsor a trade?
No. Virtually all 'tradies' are employed on a casual basis, ie no contract. There are also many 'on the ground' here looking for work. Even if a company for some reason did decide to sponsor you, they would have to prove to DIAC that they are unable to find local workers to fill the position. They wouldn't be able to do this.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:45 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

John
Have you considered New Zealand? The maximum age there for the skilled migrant category is 55. If you're unable to get to Australia (and I think that you're unlikely to, to be honest), then it's still an opportunity for a new life.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:41 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Have you considered New Zealand? The maximum age there for the skilled migrant category is 55. If you're unable to get to Australia (and I think that you're unlikely to, to be honest), then it's still an opportunity for a new life.
He can go to Canada also. They also accept until 55. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:44 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2O
He can go to Canada also. They also accept until 55. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

I didn't know that. Good to know.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated, might as well go and find a sheila! ha!
I know a Sheila looking for a bloke! PM me and Ill put you in touch

Lesley
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Get a Sheila! Just get your three month tourist visa and go hunting!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:08 am
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the above. Go out on a holiday visa and meet a Sheila!!