Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

St Stephens or CSHS

St Stephens or CSHS

Old Apr 7th 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

pjsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Stephens or CSHS

Hi, both my kids go to Carine primary school. They are both happy there and have plenty of friends and I have no real issues with the school. When we first moved here (5yrs ago) I put my daughter down on the waiting list for St Stephens, Duncraig for high school (really just to keep our options open) but never really expected her to get in. We got the rejection letter for year 7 last year but they've obviously had some people turn down places as we got called for interview the other day at short notice.
I am now in a complete quandary as to what to do. We were perfectly happy with her going to Carine High school, had been on a tour and met the principle who seemed pretty good. I know the school has a good reputation so were quite happy with that, but now we may have a choice.
I have spoken to several people who have kids at St Stephens who all think it's great and think we would be mad to turn down the place but would we?
Looking at Naplan and WACE results the schools seem to be similar in performance. St Stephens seems to do marginally better than Carine but not by an enormous amount and it's certainly not in the league of the top performing public schools like Shenton and Churchlands (which are not an option for us). The fees have gone up considerably since we first put her name on the list. For year 7 it's approx $7500 Inc building fees etc plus it costs $1200 just to accept the place which is over and above the term fees.
I have no issue with the money per se (as we'd make it happen however we could) but only if it were really the better option. I know the uniform is tidier and the buildings probably in a lot better condition but does this equal a better education? We are not church goers and did not apply as such.
I would appreciate any feedback on either schools good or bad.
Thanks in advance....
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:57 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Stephens or CSHS

Originally Posted by pjsmith
We got the rejection letter for year 7 last year but they've obviously had some people turn down places as we got called for interview the other day at short notice.
:
I don't know what is going on with St Stephens?

We too were on the list for year 8 for this year. I called before Xmas and asked where my sons name was on the list and they said, "The new policy was to not tell you, but I can say there is no place for your child in 2012 for year 8".
When we put his name down we were about 72nd on the wait list and paid $100.

A few weeks later, after we had committed to another school, purchased uniform, paid fee's etc etc, they called and said we had a place. If we were so close to the top of the list, why couldn't they tell us, not to make a promise, but at least be honest. grrrr.

We have friends with kids at both schools and both say they love their respective schools. When we ask their kids they say they love it too and really enjoy both schools.

Personally I think you would get better discipline at St Stephens and the work load will be higher, but as you say the results are pretty much on a par between the 2 schools, why pay to get similar results. If you can get onto academic extension programs at Carine, I don't think there would be much difference between the two schools results.

Have you been on the school tours? We found St Stephens very quiet and peaceful.... a high priority on religion and pastrol care.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's good to be in a position financially to be able to choose.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:12 am
Just Joined

pjsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St Stephens or CSHS

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I don't know what is going on with St Stephens?

We too were on the list for year 8 for this year. I called before Xmas and asked where my sons name was on the list and they said, "The new policy was to not tell you, but I can say there is no place for your child in 2012 for year 8".
When we put his name down we were about 72nd on the wait list and paid $100.

A few weeks later, after we had committed to another school, purchased uniform, paid fee's etc etc, they called and said we had a place. If we were so close to the top of the list, why couldn't they tell us, not to make a promise, but at least be honest. grrrr.

We have friends with kids at both schools and both say they love their respective schools. When we ask their kids they say they love it too and really enjoy both schools.

Personally I think you would get better discipline at St Stephens and the work load will be higher, but as you say the results are pretty much on a par between the 2 schools, why pay to get similar results. If you can get onto academic extension programs at Carine, I don't think there would be much difference between the two schools results.

Have you been on the school tours? We found St Stephens very quiet and peaceful.... a high priority on religion and pastrol care.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's good to be in a position financially to be able to choose.
Thanks for replying :-) We've got the interview this week so hopefully that will help us make a decision. So hard to know what to do for the best.....