Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:42 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I thought it was no fee (or at least low fee) to swap interstate licences.
really???

i hope that is the case...

we went years on our vic licenses when we moved to qld previously, as we had paid so much for them, we wanted to use them up!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by chocciecake
really???

i hope that is the case...

we went years on our vic licenses when we moved to qld previously, as we had paid so much for them, we wanted to use them up!
Obviously things could be different in Qld but I'm fairly sure my friend who moved from SA to Vic didn't pay anything.

The other thing is that your interstate licence is only valid for 3 months when you move to a new state.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:10 pm

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously things could be different in Qld but I'm fairly sure my friend who moved from SA to Vic didn't pay anything.

The other thing is that your interstate licence is only valid for 3 months when you move to a new state.
yeah, we kind of knew that but kept the car registered in our old state too, at our parents address, as the rego was cheaper than nsw (which is where we lived last, before coming to uk)
bit dodgy, i know, but we were poor and it was something like $1000 in nsw compared to $400 in vic if i remember rightly?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chocciecake
yeah, we kind of knew that but kept the car registered in our old state too, at our parents address, as the rego was cheaper than nsw (which is where we lived last, before coming to uk)
bit dodgy, i know, but we were poor and it was something like $1000 in nsw compared to $400 in vic if i remember rightly?
Be careful. The last time I suggested that rego was cheaper in Vic the cockroaches came down on top of me like... well... a tonne of cockroaches
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:23 pm

Be careful. The last time I suggested that rego was cheaper in Vic the cockroaches came down on top of me like... well... a tonne of cockroaches
its HEAPS cheaper, and, you don't have to have a year mot checkup either, only need to get one to sell the rustbucket...not particulary safe, but ,akes it cheaper, and that suited us!