Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:12 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

being smart and all that.......i accidentally left my wallet in a set of bedroom drawers, and didn't realise until after the container was packed and gone :curse:

we are leaving next sunday ,26th april and i was needing to drive when we get to aus and stay in melbourne for the first month.

we won't get our container back until we have found a place to move into on the gold coast, so it could be a few months...

so we called the dvla...it is going to take too long to wait to get one here...

the post office (which we had to walk to ,as we don't have a car now) had every form but the one we needed:curse: and to apply online you need a government gateway password etc, which they mail out to you...

basically, i'm screwed!

does any one know if i have any options i may not have thought of?
i know i can't drive in aus with out my licence on me!

thanks
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Don't worry; most people in Australia drive as if they don't have a licence, so nobody will notice if you don't have one either.

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:43 pm

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Don't worry; most people in Australia drive as if they don't have a licence, so nobody will notice if you don't have one either.

thanks!

but its not much help here!

to make things worse, i am on the phone to the dvla atm, and they have my date of birth wrong!!!
my passport and original licence definately have the right dob but they swear i am giving them the wrong year for what they have on their systems!

not impressed!!
so now i have no licence and i am 2 years older than i thought i was my whole life
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Adding insult to injury!

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:51 pm

Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Adding insult to injury!

2nd time that a gvt dept has screwed up my dob....
makes ME look like the dodgy bugger!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
being smart and all that.......i accidentally left my wallet in a set of bedroom drawers, and didn't realise until after the container was packed and gone :curse:

we are leaving next sunday ,26th april and i was needing to drive when we get to aus and stay in melbourne for the first month.

we won't get our container back until we have found a place to move into on the gold coast, so it could be a few months...

so we called the dvla...it is going to take too long to wait to get one here...

the post office (which we had to walk to ,as we don't have a car now) had every form but the one we needed:curse: and to apply online you need a government gateway password etc, which they mail out to you...

basically, i'm screwed!

does any one know if i have any options i may not have thought of?
i know i can't drive in aus with out my licence on me!

thanks

Youre not screwed! Get some nuts mate and drive without a license. You wont be the first or last and if you ponce about in an ugly model Euro car, you wont get collared anyway......

Preparing for the do-gooders to chime in.................
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Youre not screwed! Get some nuts mate and drive without a license. You wont be the first or last and if you ponce about in an ugly model Euro car, you wont get collared anyway......

Preparing for the do-gooders to chime in.................
yes, but if i EVER do any thing wrong, i always get caught!
so its not worth the risk...

the dvla will issue me something called "a letter of entitlement" which since i have previously held an australian license which was surrendered for a uk one, it supposedly allows me to something or another...i don't really get wht he was talking about actually, as it was all rather vague, so i just handed over my £5 and will wait to see what the hell this thing is...
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
yes, but if i EVER do any thing wrong, i always get caught!
so its not worth the risk...

the dvla will issue me something called "a letter of entitlement" which since i have previously held an australian license which was surrendered for a uk one, it supposedly allows me to something or another...i don't really get wht he was talking about actually, as it was all rather vague, so i just handed over my £5 and will wait to see what the hell this thing is...
Yes, its called instant karma. Dont worry about it, you can run people over and kill them and only get a hundred dollar fine.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

relax, 2 years older means you get to retire 2 years earlier !
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by scamp1976
relax, 2 years older means you get to retire 2 years earlier !
retire on what though???

a measly govt pension?

if they're going to get it wrong, i wish they said i was 25, then, instead of 35!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Yes, its called instant karma. Dont worry about it, you can run people over and kill them and only get a hundred dollar fine.
Lies! It was $78 for me.

Mind you, that was 6 years ago.

Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

what about your wife's driving licence?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by lisaroo
what about your wife's driving licence?
i am "the wife"!

the thing is that we will be staying at my inlaws for a month in melb before we go to the gold coast, and my husband works from home, so i was going to take the kids out for visiting and play during the days so we don't all go nuts,and he can get his work done, so whether or not he can drive in aus on his licence, it still doesn't mean i can.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

sorry, dont know why i thought you were the husband, maybe its because that is something the men do!! oh that no good, have the dvla said how long it will take to get the duplicate?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

what part of the gold coast are you going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.