Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:38 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by lisaroo
what part of the gold coast are you going?
firstly ,we'll probably live in a development in arundel park, that has great 4 bed houses with lots of fantastic facilities and landscaping, and then hopefully one day, we can buy 10-20 acres of land in tallebudgeera or currumbin valley and build a nice modern house on it
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:49 am

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

Originally Posted by lisaroo
sorry, dont know why i thought you were the husband, maybe its because that is something the men do!! oh that no good, have the dvla said how long it will take to get the duplicate?
they can't issue me with a duplicate as they have my date of birth wrong, the address needs to be changed, and they need 15 working days, and we leave in 9 working days, so thats why they are sending me that letter of entitlement, which i may be able to use to get an aussie license...

when i read people warning in threads to make sure you don't pack important things, i wasn't imaging being dumb enough to pack my licence!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

ah, easily done!! where you heading on the gold coast?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all
Default Re: elp! i accidentally packed my drivers licence and i need to drive in aus@*%$!!

ha! sorry dont answer that only just read post above!!!! now whos dumb
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

we were in currumbin, beautiful!! when we get back we'll definatly be moving back to the same place, we'll be down by the beach though!! hubby is a dedicated surfer and wants to be able to see the surf 24/7!!it is wonderful though, so not going to complain
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

OH lost his licence between the UK & here. The NSW RTA said to get a data protection extract of the DVLA files and they could accept that (which they did).

You could request this and get it sent to where you are staying when you arrive so it shouldn't be to long after you
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:32 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned you previously held a Aus Licence?! If so, just apply as if you 'lost' your Aussie licence and they will give you a new one - you'll be on the system here (assuming it's from the same state).
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How far are you from the Container depot and has your container ship sailed? People have done the same (with passports). Ring the shippers, explain the situation and they should let you go down and have a quick look especially as you know which piece of furniture it's in.

If it's already sailed there's not much more you can do that you haven't done already. Can you get an International Drivers Licence in the meantime or do you need proof of the UK one to get one? I've no idea, never wanted one
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by spottydog
OH lost his licence between the UK & here. The NSW RTA said to get a data protection extract of the DVLA files and they could accept that (which they did).

You could request this and get it sent to where you are staying when you arrive so it shouldn't be to long after you
i haven't heard of the data protection extract? would that be like the letter of entitlement?
and how will that work that they have my date of birth wrong`. as that makes me look super dodgy!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by tking
You mentioned you previously held a Aus Licence?! If so, just apply as if you 'lost' your Aussie licence and they will give you a new one - you'll be on the system here (assuming it's from the same state).
my last licence was a nsw one, and we will need to drive in vic for a month before going on to qld, so i'm in a right pickle!

if i pay heaps to get a vic lince, then the moneys down the drain a month later when i have to swap it over for a qld one...
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
How far are you from the Container depot and has your container ship sailed? People have done the same (with passports). Ring the shippers, explain the situation and they should let you go down and have a quick look especially as you know which piece of furniture it's in.

If it's already sailed there's not much more you can do that you haven't done already. Can you get an International Drivers Licence in the meantime or do you need proof of the UK one to get one? I've no idea, never wanted one
the ship is almost in brisbane now!

we sent our stuff on the 12th of march, and it seems to have had godspeed getting there, which is a pita as now we'll have to pay heaps of storage for a few months until we get a house , but at least we won't be stuck with no stuff at the other end ,for one, and secondly, i'm grateful that it wasn't our ship that was hijacked!

i looked into the international licence business, but apparently that is needed for some countries only IN ADDITION to your uk licence, and doesn't replace it..

its bloody hard to get this international move business right without screwing something up!

hopefully we don't leave one of the kids behind
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chocciecake
i haven't heard of the data protection extract? would that be like the letter of entitlement?
and how will that work that they have my date of birth wrong`. as that makes me look super dodgy!
It is just the extract that all UK companies need to be able to provide on request (part of the data protection act from many years ago).

It costs around a tenner and is basically a dump of everything they have on you. If you have a photo licence then it will also include a photo of you which will help prove your ID. I would just add a letter with the request explaining the date of birth issue and let the DVLA work out how they can meet their legal requirement to provide you with all the information they have on you
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Do you have to physically have a driving licence on you in Oz then? In the UK you just have to actually have one, but if stopped can show it x days later. If that's the case, you're not breaking the law, because you do have a licence you just can't show them it straight away.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Do you have to physically have a driving licence on you in Oz then? In the UK you just have to actually have one, but if stopped can show it x days later. If that's the case, you're not breaking the law, because you do have a licence you just can't show them it straight away.

yes, you do have to have it physically on you when you are driving or its an instant fine if yo are puled over and fond not to have it on you...
i never take my licence with me over here, which is how it ended up being packed away in the drawers...it was there so i always knew where it was...
fat lot of good know where it is, when you can't get to it!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:29 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chocciecake
my last licence was a nsw one, and we will need to drive in vic for a month before going on to qld, so i'm in a right pickle!

if i pay heaps to get a vic lince, then the moneys down the drain a month later when i have to swap it over for a qld one...
I thought it was no fee (or at least low fee) to swap interstate licences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.