Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help - has anyone had experience of just shipping clothes

help - has anyone had experience of just shipping clothes

Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:16 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default help - has anyone had experience of just shipping clothes

hi

help, help please - we are only going to ship clothes, photos, a few toys and minimal china bits to oz and can not work out the cheapest way to get it all there - we don't care how long it takes

Can anyone explain how all this stuff works - feels like everyone else gets it and i am just thinking what on earth does that mean - so please take pity on a dimmi like me - i have checked threads in past but most for containers

cheers
diddy
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - has anyone had experience of just shipping clothes

Originally Posted by diddy
hi

help, help please - we are only going to ship clothes, photos, a few toys and minimal china bits to oz and can not work out the cheapest way to get it all there - we don't care how long it takes

Can anyone explain how all this stuff works - feels like everyone else gets it and i am just thinking what on earth does that mean - so please take pity on a dimmi like me - i have checked threads in past but most for containers

cheers
diddy
If you only have a couple of boxes, someone like Excess Baggage co are good - I used them for last minute stuff. Otherwise just contact any of the large shipping companies (except ***** ********) and tell them you just want boxes shipped. They put your stuff in a shared container, rather than you having one of your own, so it may take a little longer as you have to wait for the container to fill - having said that, mine was only 7 weeks at sea. I shipped mainly boxes of books and personal stuff, only a couple of items of furniture, and a lot of people have done the same.
The company can provide strong boxes (don't use supermarket ones, get export quality strong ones) and can sort you with all the Customs and paperwork etc.
Have a read of past threads on shipping and you'll find names and websites, and also people's recommendations.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:52 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

[
Cheers pollyanna,

i know this sounds daft, from your experience do you simply get the boxes delivered and then phone them when they have packed them or can you drop the boxes off --- help = i have never used a removal firm in uk let alone to get stuff to oz it is all a bit confusing for me

thanks
diddy

QUOTE=Pollyana]If you only have a couple of boxes, someone like Excess Baggage co are good - I used them for last minute stuff. Otherwise just contact any of the large shipping companies (except ***** ********) and tell them you just want boxes shipped. They put your stuff in a shared container, rather than you having one of your own, so it may take a little longer as you have to wait for the container to fill - having said that, mine was only 7 weeks at sea. I shipped mainly boxes of books and personal stuff, only a couple of items of furniture, and a lot of people have done the same.
The company can provide strong boxes (don't use supermarket ones, get export quality strong ones) and can sort you with all the Customs and paperwork etc.
Have a read of past threads on shipping and you'll find names and websites, and also people's recommendations.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:24 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[
Cheers pollyanna,

i know this sounds daft, from your experience do you simply get the boxes delivered and then phone them when they have packed them or can you drop the boxes off --- help = i have never used a removal firm in uk let alone to get stuff to oz it is all a bit confusing for me

thanks
diddy
You can do it either way - they will bring the boxes, pack for you, and then take them away if thats what you want. Or you can get the boxes delivered and pack them yourself, then get them collected - which is easier than you dropping them at a depot if you are talking a lot of stuff.

If you self-pack you often can't get insurance for breakage, and you will need to ensure you make up your own itinerary - to be honest if you haven't dealt with removals before I would tell the company you want them to do the packing and everything - might cost more, but they have a lot more practice! I moved house so often that I had become an old hand at it, so had a fair idea what I was doing.

I would advise - from my own experience and a couple of others on here - don't use the small local removal firms. Go for someone big like PSS, John Mason, Crown etc.They are much more experienced at international moves, and you know that they will deal with the stuff all the way, not subcontract to someone else (as happened to me)

When it reaches Oz you will be notified by the company dealing with the import, they'll clear it through Customs - the cost of that is often included in the UK quote. It then goes to AQIS - the quarantine people - they will charge for inspection, and if necessary for destruction of items - you have to pay that this end as its an unknown quantity until the open the stuff. They will inspect stuff like wood, but most things are then allowed in.

Don't bring Christmas Decorations with pine cones in!!!! A trap many people fall into, AQIS open anything that says Christmas Decs, as the seeds in the cones are a real no-no.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:12 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks pollyanna,

we have about 11 weeks to pack up a small two bedroom house and to be honest i am worried that is not enough time - but guess it will have to be - will phone those companies in the morning - do you understand all the cubic stuff - i am a novice and can't work out how big the boxes are they are talking off - hopefully it will be o.k

anyway thanks
diddy

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can do it either way - they will bring the boxes, pack for you, and then take them away if thats what you want. Or you can get the boxes delivered and pack them yourself, then get them collected - which is easier than you dropping them at a depot if you are talking a lot of stuff.

If you self-pack you often can't get insurance for breakage, and you will need to ensure you make up your own itinerary - to be honest if you haven't dealt with removals before I would tell the company you want them to do the packing and everything - might cost more, but they have a lot more practice! I moved house so often that I had become an old hand at it, so had a fair idea what I was doing.

I would advise - from my own experience and a couple of others on here - don't use the small local removal firms. Go for someone big like PSS, John Mason, Crown etc.They are much more experienced at international moves, and you know that they will deal with the stuff all the way, not subcontract to someone else (as happened to me)

When it reaches Oz you will be notified by the company dealing with the import, they'll clear it through Customs - the cost of that is often included in the UK quote. It then goes to AQIS - the quarantine people - they will charge for inspection, and if necessary for destruction of items - you have to pay that this end as its an unknown quantity until the open the stuff. They will inspect stuff like wood, but most things are then allowed in.

Don't bring Christmas Decorations with pine cones in!!!! A trap many people fall into, AQIS open anything that says Christmas Decs, as the seeds in the cones are a real no-no.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 2:42 am
Home and Happy

If you are only taking boxes of stuff, don't worry about the cubic thing - ask them how big their boxes are. I think the ones I used were something like 18" x 18" x 12". They should be able to send someone to estimate how many boxes you need, if you can't work it out roughly from the size of the box. The cubic thig matters more if you are having a whole container and need to make sure everything will fit in.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:40 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Just to say we have got right into this shipping thing and Pollyanna, as usual is spot on!!

Take the stress away and get the shippers to come and have a look and also get them to pack etc

Good Luck

PJ
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Just to say we have got right into this shipping thing and Pollyanna, as usual is spot on!!

Take the stress away and get the shippers to come and have a look and also get them to pack etc

Good Luck

PJ
Pollyana enters stage left to take a quick bow, and express her appreciation for your kind comments!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:44 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Pollyana enters stage left to take a quick bow, and express her appreciation for your kind comments!
I will spell your name correctly one day POLLYANA!!

PJ
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Jacko1
I will spell your name correctly one day POLLYANA!!

PJ
Its OK, I only spell it with one "N" because when I first joined expats someone else had already chosen the username with 2 Ns. Weird at first, but I'm used to it now.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:09 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

cheers
diddy
Diddy
Same as us!
We are using a firm called Careline (we phoned around and they were the cheapest). They come in and pacvk up everything for you! Just point out what to pack - especially useful for ornaments etc. 6 - 8 weeks later, they will unpack the same for you at the other end into your abode.

Andrew