Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help finding regional farm work or carpentry work

help finding regional farm work or carpentry work

Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help finding regional farm work or carpentry work

hi all i finally landed in brisbane, 3 weeks ago, but seem to be find it hard finding work and was wondering if any one nows of some good contacts, websites, any info really that will increase my chances with work.
i am a carpenter by trade in u.k and i think i can do this in regional australia to count towards my 3 month experience for my second year.
but i am willing to do fruit picking etc... anything to get this extra year visa before im 31.
so please any info is welcome, working hostels, farm work, agencys etc....
i have been apply loads on gumtree, seek, harvest trail, but not got one feedback yet, so bit depressing but im a forward thinker and know something will come up.
thanks all in advance
Old Apr 6th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help finding regional farm work or carpentry work

I'm surprised you've had no luck with Gumtree? Are you responding to adverts? Are you providing full information? Due the volume of responses we gain, I generally only respond to applicants who read my advert and provide info that I have requested.

It's amazing how many people think "I'll be great for this job. Sam 041$ ......." is enough to get a job! Are you looking at all areas?

Harvesttrail provides regional seasonal info on fruit picking ie bananas in northern Qld in ... Or watermelons in Darling Downs in Feb. With it being autumn you may have to consider that?

Last edited by jothefw; Apr 6th 2013 at 10:12 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Tried WWOOF?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

would do wwhoff but need to earn money.

i spoke to some british expats in a bar at weekend and said head to cairns area towns around there do a lot of banana work so ive booked a plane there and im sitting in airport as we speak.
thanks all
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Cairns! Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

BarryMc is an unknown quantity at this point

pineapple farms about 1/2 an hour north of townsville, at rolling stone i think. and also look into Goondiwindi the cotton picking season going on at the minute. I used to work for john deere servicing tractors out there and heaps of backpackers/travelers went through goondiwindi. only 4 hours west of brisbane. crisp coaches and greyhoud run buses out there! any questions just ask
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Cotton generally expects a lot of tractor driving experience, quite hard to get into. Pineapple and banana picking would be easier to get into but physically harder work.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

well im here in cairns, quite place compared to brisbane but like it.
if i wana do banana work then i gt to head for innisfail or somewhere like that.
but i am carpenter and there seem a fair bit of that work here and this counts as my regional work as well, so will try and find this sork of work for week or 2. then if fails then off to innisfail.
thanks all again
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatpantsss
would do wwhoff but need to earn money.

i spoke to some british expats in a bar at weekend and said head to cairns area towns around there do a lot of banana work so ive booked a plane there and im sitting in airport as we speak.
thanks all
What happened to Townsville? Cairns doesn't have much going for it atm, it's primarily tourism based and it's construction industry reflects that.

Check out all these jobs recently listed in the last 24 hours looking for carpenters in Townsville here.

Email your resume to this guy [email protected] who is looking for carpenters asap.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Harewoodwill is an unknown quantity at this point

Fatpantss have you an email address i can get you on or facebook im too looking at heading to australia and would like to ask you a few questions seems as though your there... thanks
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

deanwili123 is an unknown quantity at this point

id like to know he got on too ??
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatpantsss
well im here in cairns, quite place compared to brisbane but like it.
if i wana do banana work then i gt to head for innisfail or somewhere like that.
but i am carpenter and there seem a fair bit of that work here and this counts as my regional work as well, so will try and find this sork of work for week or 2. then if fails then off to innisfail.
thanks all again
Worth investigating work down the Innisfail/Mission Beach/Tully area - there is still a lot of recovery going on following TC Yasi in 2011 and you may well be able to pick something up