Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help and Advice would be appreciated.

Help and Advice would be appreciated.

Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:33 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help and Advice would be appreciated.

Hi Forum,

Not posted for a while, been busy mopping up tears, long phone calls to the UK, not been nice. Not been here long, could not ever imagined what could have evolved over the past few weeks, .i.e. what has happened, truly astonished!

You makes your decisions, place your bets, and take what life throws at you. Thats life, its tough at times, but hey, we all face dillemas, and tough decisions.

The better looking Moon, might have to go home for a year or so, i might have to follow at a later date, i am not sure what is happening yet. Its a day by day decision. But without going into too much detail, a close friend has died, an immediate family member has died, and another immediate family member has been diagnosed with a serious, probably terminal illness, all very recent. You just could not make it all up. For anyone looking to move out here, if you have broken a mirror, or walked under a ladder, forget it. Bad luck well, its been none stop.

Some questions, any help or feedback much appreciated.

1) We have very little Australian dollars, and no credit access in Australian dollars. When/if we both return to the UK, we will have to book one way flights from Australia to the UK, also we will have to pay for shipping for 4 teachests from Australia to the UK. We can borrow the money in UK sterling, but then have to exchange the money into Australian Dollars to pay for the flights and shipping costs. Which will make it all so much more expensive. Is there any way we can book flights from Australia to the UK and pay in Sterling without having to exchange the money over into Australian Dollars. The same applies to shipping costs, is there any way we can pay for shipping costs in Sterling without the need to exchange the money into Australian Dollars? Will save us some costs.

Thanks for any help and feedback.

Keith
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help and Advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear all that, hopefully things will get better.

For the travel arrangements I would try to book through a travel agent in the UK. Perhaps you can pay them in sterling that way.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

What a crap time you are having.

I'd say you could book through a UK travel agent or have a look at the UK Expedia website as I have, in the past booked my internal australia and america for that fact with them, on line and in sterling.

You could also look at holidaysupermarket, lastminute.com and any of the other big travel websites. I am sure you will be fine.

All the best. I hope things pick up for you.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Just had a little scoot through the flight thing on expedia.co.uk. Yes, they will allow you to book 1 way from Aus to UK and pay in sterling.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Really sorry to hear all that has happened to you just as you've got here, as you say you couldn't make all that up.

Do you still have a UK credit card? If so you could pay for your flight here and then it will get converted in to pounds - you might get a better exchange rate that way than getting a travel website to convert for you.

If you book through a UK travel agent you will end up paying even more for your flights.

I hope things work out for you but it must be devastating to have to return to the UK after all that time of planning to get out here.

Good luck.

KK
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Just had a little scoot through the flight thing on expedia.co.uk. Yes, they will allow you to book 1 way from Aus to UK and pay in sterling.
Are you sure? I think there are regulations about paying under the conditions in the county of origin of the flight - there was an exchange about this on another board recently. It may appear that you can but when you get down to it they will charge you the Aus price.

I am so sorry KM that this has happened to you - you are right, you couldnt make it up!

I agree with Koalakim, try and use a UK credit card if you still have one - or maybe get someone else to lend it to you in pounds temporarily. It's going to cost you a conversion fee somewhere along the line I should think.

I hope it all works out for you.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

That's bollocks mate... Can't help with your query but good luck and I hope things get better.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Are you sure? I think there are regulations about paying under the conditions in the county of origin of the flight - there was an exchange about this on another board recently. It may appear that you can but when you get down to it they will charge you the Aus price.

I am so sorry KM that this has happened to you - you are right, you couldnt make it up!

I agree with Koalakim, try and use a UK credit card if you still have one - or maybe get someone else to lend it to you in pounds temporarily. It's going to cost you a conversion fee somewhere along the line I should think.

I obviously didn't pay for a flight but it took me to the payment page on a flight from Sydney to London sometime in April.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by quoll

I have a feeling you are right Quoll. I tried to buy a one way to go back to the UK last year, thinking I was clever, but it wouldn't let me.
UK credit card is the way to go I'd say.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:41 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences for your losses and sad times, Keith

I don't think that what you asking are can be done. I've tried the same thing several times to pay for my relatives to come over from South Africa and I've always had to resort to paying using my UK credit card.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:42 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Well Guys,

Sent you all some Unlucky Keith Karma's, they are mine to you, hope they do not bring you bad luck!

I have made the decision based on your, all your inputs. I have checked Singapore airlines, $1150.00 bucks one way any time between next week and the end of March, about 650.00 British Peso's. Wack the money in Sterling into my UK current account, then pay using my UK Visa Debit Card. Nationwide will be offering about 1.7 to the peso, so all sorted. You cannot complain about 650 GBP one way from Brisbane to Heathrow, three hour stop over, on the A380. So thats sorted.

Seven Seas quoted me $400.00 bucks to ship door to door three teachests, so that ain't bad either, get all the things home.

Yep its times like these you realise how life kicks you and kicks you.

But onwards and upwards.

Cheers Keith.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck Keith. I hope things get better for you soon.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:55 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you Keith, Karma sent...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Thinking of you Keith, Karma sent...
Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:29 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I came accross this so late in the day.... you CAN pay for your ticket in Sterling from Australia.

I did it last year.
Log onto lastminute.com and buy your flight in sterling... no problems, it's a e ticket so they just email it to you.

Sorry it's a bit late but it may help somebody else in the future, because one thing's for sure, if the question has been asked then the answer will be needed by somebody else at some point too.