Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

http://www.thecomputermarket.com/ind...od=home&smid=2

Anyone heard of this lot or used them before?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

If you are looking for something fairly cheap they are OK. What are you looking for?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:09 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
If you are looking for something fairly cheap they are OK. What are you looking for?
Something to replace my year old Toshiba which just bit the dust! Something under $1k...it doesn't need to do much, word process (I'm a teacher), browsing, music, photos, youtubing, but not much else really lol
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be replacing that Toshiba, worst case would be replacing the hard drive and a reload of Windows. Maybe $300 or so and you aint going to get anything any good for $300.
I'm sure there's IT companies around your way that could fix it for you and if there isn't then courier it over to me on the Sunshine Coast via Couriers Please or Fasttrak.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

I wouldn't be replacing that Toshiba, worst case would be replacing the hard drive and a reload of Windows. Maybe $300 or so and you aint going to get anything any good for $300.
I'm sure there's IT companies around your way that could fix it for you and if there isn't then courier it over to me on the Sunshine Coast via Couriers Please or Fasttrak.
Trust me, my brother runs a computer business back in Northern Ireland and he talked me through it one night, it won't do ANYTHING, trust me I've tried! Thanks anyways tho...
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I generally think these ex-Gov places are expensive for the spec of equipment they offer. If you've got $1k to spend you should be able to find something decent and new with change to spare.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

And I see that other thread about the problems, if it boots into the bios it's repairable. However if you want to buy a 2nd hand computer then I'm sure the Computer Market will be able to help you.
If you have a $1000 to spend I would have thought it'd be worth spending $40 on a courier to actually see if the Tosh can be repaired before chucking it away though?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

And I see that other thread about the problems, if it boots into the bios it's repairable. However if you want to buy a 2nd hand computer then I'm sure the Computer Market will be able to help you.
If you have a $1000 to spend I would have thought it'd be worth spending $40 on a courier to actually see if the Tosh can be repaired before chucking it away though?
That's the thing, I couldn't get it into BIOS....
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:40 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

From the day and hour I got the Toshiba it's had problems, I was foolish never to send it back to Toshiba within the first year but it just seemed like hassle. It was a replacement for a damaged computer I claimed for under my house insurance, and I'm convinced it was a refurb or something because of the way it's been since I got it. Also, upon opening it, the box was very wet and the actual laptop covered in condensation inside and out, so I should never have even accepted it in the first instance!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi, as I say it'll cost you whatever the courier charges from Toowoomba to the Sunshine Coast (and back), if it's not fixable there's no other cost, if it is fixable it'll be a lot less than you'd pay for a comparable computer.
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I'd recommend getting something new with warranty rather than a 2nd hand model with 90 days or whatever the Computer Market offers. $1000 will get you a decent HP business laptop without a horrible glossy screen and the cheapo cases that ASUS, Acer etc have.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hi, as I say it'll cost you whatever the courier charges from Toowoomba to the Sunshine Coast (and back), if it's not fixable there's no other cost, if it is fixable it'll be a lot less than you'd pay for a comparable computer.
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I'd recommend getting something new with warranty rather than a 2nd hand model with 90 days or whatever the Computer Market offers. $1000 will get you a decent HP business laptop without a horrible glossy screen and the cheapo cases that ASUS, Acer etc have.
Ok, I appreciate your offer, but as I said previously the computer has a number of problems and it was in all honesty a relief when it died as I knew I could then start again. As they say in Northern Ireland, 'it was made on a Friday!' I wish I had $1000 burning a hole in my pocket, but the new laptop is a birthday present from my OH and my family are contributing too! Probably going to get one from Harvey Norman with an extended warranty.

Thanks once again,

Jenny
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably going to get one from Harvey Norman with an extended warranty.

Good luck with that then!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:03 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Probably going to get one from Harvey Norman with an extended warranty.

Good luck with that then!
Meaning?!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Meaning?!
I'm not sure...but if you're going to go to HN then make sure you don't pay anywhere near their ticket prices, which are generally outrageous.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not sure...but if you're going to go to HN then make sure you don't pay anywhere near their ticket prices, which are generally outrageous.
Or take any of their advice ... once you have a model in mind then look it up here (and an aussie-based price comparison site) and wonder why people don't shop around more:

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.