Reload this Page >

Help and advice please.

Help and advice please.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:27 am
Just Joined

chrismason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and advice please.

Hi,
I've never posted on the forum before but do browse the forum because I'm addicted to it!

Anyway I was wondering if any of you could give us some advice. We've had my husbands skills assessed by TRA and it came back positive. Here in England he's worked in the motor industry for the last 20 years first as a motor mechanic then as a panelbeater/paint sprayer he's been self employed for the last 12 years and we've ran our own business successfully. What I wanted advice on was this- I read on the forum last night about someone wanting to do tiling and work for themselves but he carn't do that because he hasn't got a license.
Do you need a license for every trade? If so would Chris (my husband) be able to get one and how long would it take him? Also if you were to set up your own business out there do you still require a license first? Do you also require a license if you're empolyed by someone?

Also any info on what sort of wage he could expect if was able to get a job working for a firm? If we get our visa's we're hoping to settle in Brisbane.

Sorry if this sounds a bit rambling- hopefully I'll get better the more I post (or not).

Cheers Debbi
Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Help and advice please.

Debbi

I've seen info on NSW at this link http://www.mvria.nsw.gov.au/industry/ind_lic.htm

But can't see anything for QLD, athough I would have thought it would be very siimilar.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Have a look on http://www.seek.com.au/ for motor mechanics in Brisbane, and see what the employers are asking for, in the way of experience.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:23 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure youve seen this already - but a lot of motor trades have been placed on the 'in demand' list which means fast visa application and by inference - lotsof requiremet and demand! so looking good if you can do any of those jobs...

Look at the DIMIA website www.immi.gov.au there are press releases/look at the new MODL list...
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:14 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chrismason
Hi,
I've never posted on the forum before but do browse the forum because I'm addicted to it!

Anyway I was wondering if any of you could give us some advice. We've had my husbands skills assessed by TRA and it came back positive. Here in England he's worked in the motor industry for the last 20 years first as a motor mechanic then as a panelbeater/paint sprayer he's been self employed for the last 12 years and we've ran our own business successfully. What I wanted advice on was this- I read on the forum last night about someone wanting to do tiling and work for themselves but he carn't do that because he hasn't got a license.
Do you need a license for every trade? If so would Chris (my husband) be able to get one and how long would it take him? Also if you were to set up your own business out there do you still require a license first? Do you also require a license if you're empolyed by someone?

Also any info on what sort of wage he could expect if was able to get a job working for a firm? If we get our visa's we're hoping to settle in Brisbane.

Sorry if this sounds a bit rambling- hopefully I'll get better the more I post (or not).

Cheers Debbi
Hiya Chris,

yep, Oz has licences. It's based on your training / experience etc.
The TRA website should have details about what you need to be assessed & get licenced.

Regards
Mark