Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - ADHD medication do I need a permit??

Help - ADHD medication do I need a permit??

Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold
Default Help - ADHD medication do I need a permit??

I am having a small panic attack as we fly on 10th with my daughter who takes methylphenidate for ADHD we will have a letter and the standard 3 months supply. I have been trying to establish whether I need anything else and customs sent me a link to http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/bringmed/persimp.htm
this seems to point to the fact that we need a permit or is this if not for personal use as the customs replied as follows:

Under personal importation provisions, an individual may bring certain unapproved therapeutic goods into Australia on their person, or arrange from within Australia for therapeutic goods to be sent to them from an overseas supplier. The goods must be intended for use by the importing individual or a member of his/her immediate family and are not to be sold or supplied to another person. An individual may import three months supply per import and no more than fifteen months supply per twelve-month period.

However, certain substances cannot be imported under personal importation unless an import permit has been obtained from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). These include substances that are prohibited under Customs legislation, injectable drugs that contain material of human or animal origin (except insulin), and products that contain substances derived from endangered species.

Now I am panicking as this is unsettling enough for daughter and us without her medication being taken away.

Any ides or similar experiences would be gratefully received.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:25 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - ADHD medication do I need a permit??

Originally Posted by maisey
I am having a small panic attack as we fly on 10th with my daughter who takes methylphenidate for ADHD we will have a letter and the standard 3 months supply. I have been trying to establish whether I need anything else and customs sent me a link to http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/bringmed/persimp.htm
this seems to point to the fact that we need a permit or is this if not for personal use as the customs replied as follows:

Under personal importation provisions, an individual may bring certain unapproved therapeutic goods into Australia on their person, or arrange from within Australia for therapeutic goods to be sent to them from an overseas supplier. The goods must be intended for use by the importing individual or a member of his/her immediate family and are not to be sold or supplied to another person. An individual may import three months supply per import and no more than fifteen months supply per twelve-month period.

However, certain substances cannot be imported under personal importation unless an import permit has been obtained from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). These include substances that are prohibited under Customs legislation, injectable drugs that contain material of human or animal origin (except insulin), and products that contain substances derived from endangered species.

Now I am panicking as this is unsettling enough for daughter and us without her medication being taken away.

Any ides or similar experiences would be gratefully received.
Point 1 - Customs are looking to stop drug runners - your circumstances easily depict personal use (doctors note etc). Declare it and they help you - hide it they distrust you.
Point 2 - children suffer it over here as well and you will easily find a good GP to seek new medication prescriptions
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maisey
this seems to point to the fact that we need a permit or is this if not for personal use.
Don't panic.

When we moved over in august last year we ticked the "we have drugs" box on the customs card. When we were asked what they were, we were up front and said "they're a prescribed morphine derivative" and we were waved on our way. As Geelong Gent said, be honest and you'll be fine.

Customs were much more interested in the fruit teas that we'd brough with us than the contents of our 'mobile pharmacy'.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so much guys for that sorry if this is a bit muddled just got back from our leaving do. You have put my mind at rest, if Australia wishes to take a chance on an unmedicated daughter then so be it but I am sure once she runs around the airport a few times they will give it all back!!