Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:45 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Originally Posted by jessrabbit
Thanks for this. We both feel Melbourne and Sydney would be too much of the 'big city'. We come from rural Ireland and my OH does not like anywhere too busy. He is a welder which seems to be in demand across the board. Maybe a big generalisation but a lot of trades people I have seen posting on forums seem to have met with more success than people in the I.T skilled professions.
I have a degree that I have never really been able to use in Ireland as all the 'sexy' jobs are in Belfast and Dublin, two places I just don't wanna live so I am used to looking at alternatives, and willing to go in at entry level and work my way up. As long as the OH is able to get a decent wage and be happy, I will pretty much graft at anything, things usually work out!! Fingers crossed!!
I'm heading for the mornington peninsula it's fairly quiet but still close enough to get to the city if you want to (maybe not the best for a daily commute but if you don't have to work in the city not a great problem) although Melbourne is a state capital it doesn't seem to be as busy as most british towns I find Leeds where I'm origionally from to be far busier and a lot smaller
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CharleneG
We asked ourselves this same question, we both realy like the idea of Adelaide with it's more laid back lifestyle and getting a bit more for your $.

But ultimately we have decided to head for Melbourne purely because there seems to be more work opportunities (i'm an accountant and OH is in recruitment).

The bottom line for us is job opportunities are going to dictate.

We have looked at a few good websites for both property and work, try these I hope they can help you make this tough decision.

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.jobsinoz.com.au/index.php

http://www.jobserve.com.au/

http://www.jobsearch.com.au/index.ph...3400bb0410d124
I an a tax accountant and found work in adelaide within a week when I was over there on a working holiday visa a few years back. All the big accountancy firms have offices there - and plenty of smaller ones too. I actually found it much harder to find work in Sydney when I spent some time there - I guess that although there are more jobs in sydney/melbourne, there are also many more people looking for those jobs!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

We live in Adelaide at the moment, and have done for 12mths now.
To answer a few questions.
Adelaide is not as small as some make out, It has a good city centre, with a lot of suburbs with nice shopping and cafe area,s. Most area,s have good schools, and there are a lot of jobs on offer. Housing is only classed as more reasonable than other state's because there is still a good choice of house for under $350.000, if required.
But, You will find that the average family home more to the price of $400.000 +, the cost of living in Adelaide has now risen But, it is the state with the lowest rate of pay. You will also find that travel from adelaide to other states, or long haul holidays to be expensive compare to the wages.
If you are a plumber, be aware i have spoke with a few that were fully qualified in the uk for over 20yrs, but have to return to tafe for a number of yrs, to be in the same position here.
Adelaide is a good place to start, But most do move on after a few yrs.
Melbourne, is a big city, more multicutural, higher wages, Weather not to good. More choice of new properties to buy. You dont feel as isolated as the means of travel is less expensive.
Like someone has said , it is easier to get a office type job, ie accountant in adelaide, but harder to get it work. if you are a trade or nurse, there is work every where. good luck
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

jessrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody, it is great to get all this info from the people actually living the dream! I appreciate it.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

carorp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kelly and family

We are heading in same direction! Ideally Mount Eliza, also like mount Martha to but worried it may be a bit of a comute to the city if have to for work. Seen a nice school for the children in Mt martha. Heading for Mount Eliza first for rental and look about. Did not really consider Adalaide.
Went to the meet today in poll hill although not really anyone else going to same area. My children go to Tubbenden infants did consider green st Green but a bit to far to walk. We are right between Tubbenden and Warren Rd school. Keep in touch. [email protected]

caroline