Reload this Page >

Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

jessrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Hi there,

We are a couple in our twenties who are just beginning the immigration process. We are trying to decide between Adelaide and Melbourne. Can anyone give me some ideas of general areas if I let you know roughly what we are looking for? My OH has asked me to show him some example homes and property, so I am doing that now so he can look through them and get a better idea of the whole housing and what we could realistically buy.

Ideally we would like:
1. 20-30 mins from the city
2. Train or bus links
3. Less than 30 mins from the coast
4. An area with bars/restaurants
5. A decent sized British/Irish expat community
6. We don't want an apartment

Any help would be great. I am looking at estate agents websites but as I don't know the areas they mean nothing to me. Most likely my OH who is a welder will be working in the suburbs of the city as we know from job searching that's where they tend to be. He would not be travelling into the city centre every day.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice
Default Re: Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Originally Posted by jessrabbit
Hi there,

We are a couple in our twenties who are just beginning the immigration process. We are trying to decide between Adelaide and Melbourne. Can anyone give me some ideas of general areas if I let you know roughly what we are looking for? My OH has asked me to show him some example homes and property, so I am doing that now so he can look through them and get a better idea of the whole housing and what we could realistically buy.

Ideally we would like:
2. Train or bus links

Any help would be great. I am looking at estate agents websites but as I don't know the areas they mean nothing to me. Most likely my OH who is a welder will be working in the suburbs of the city as we know from job searching that's where they tend to be. He would not be travelling into the city centre every day.
I started a thread saying exactly the same thing Adelaide or Melbourne?.
Convinced now that Adelaide is better. Some replies I've had are from experience and they recommend Adelaide. Weather is cooler in Melbourne (I've been told)but is less humid in Adelaide. Houses are supposingly cheaper there too but after hours of research ,I don't think theres much in it. Have read somewhere that certain places in Melbourne are unsafe to walk after dark. Adelaide is more laid back and has a better coastline. Licences are easier too. But you both are very young and really don't have to commit to any district straight away. The distance between the two isn't too bad. Why don't you wait until you get over there and try them both.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lee and Joanne
I started a thread saying exactly the same thing Adelaide or Melbourne?.
Convinced now that Adelaide is better. Some replies I've had are from experience and they recommend Adelaide. Weather is cooler in Melbourne (I've been told)but is less humid in Adelaide. Houses are supposingly cheaper there too but after hours of research ,I don't think theres much in it. Have read somewhere that certain places in Melbourne are unsafe to walk after dark. Adelaide is more laid back and has a better coastline. Licences are easier too. But you both are very young and really don't have to commit to any district straight away. The distance between the two isn't too bad. Why don't you wait until you get over there and try them both.

I was set on Adelaide, then started having doubt in the last day or two, maybe it would be too quiet and not enough going on. Also there are more welding jobs listed in Melbourne, but I think this is probably just relative as there will be more people looking for the jobs in M too.

When are you hoping to go? Have you pinpointed any areas of Adelaide you think look nice?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice

I was set on Adelaide, then started having doubt in the last day or two, maybe it would be too quiet and not enough going on. Also there are more welding jobs listed in Melbourne, but I think this is probably just relative as there will be more people looking for the jobs in M too.

When are you hoping to go? Have you pinpointed any areas of Adelaide you think look nice?
Heres some replies I had asking the same questions.Have a look

In Adelaide

1. I'd say you'll find your $'s will go further on housing here than all the other mainland state capital cities;
2. Self employed seems to be the way to go - I've no solid facts on this, but it's the way it seems from talking to people. If you can become self employed then they'll be stacks of work in and around all the big cities in Oz;
3. Can't say - no school age kids; and
4. It's laid back here (in a nice way).

Finally, as you've not been to Oz you could aways give Adelaide a go to sort out your OHs ticket [as Wendy indicated] and if you don't like it here once you have all the necessary bits of paper the rest of Oz awaits. As you say with a 136 you can do anything. We have 136s too and some people I speak to can't believe that we chose SA. Somehow I don't think that SA will ever be a sexy choice for people - Perth was sexy [now please hold onto your hats out west, I'm not a paid up member of the 'Perth is boring' brigade. It's just that house prices have taken the shine of your place in the sun] and subsequently passed the baton to SE Qld [and no I'm not implying houses are cheap up there - phew you have to be careful don't you - it just seems to be the 'in place'].

Based on what I've seen posted (again no science, just my observations on the posts I've read and yes I'm sure there are other reasons) on here people who come to Adelaide and then move elsewhere in Oz either:

(a) Just don't like the place (no specific or tangible reasons. Note 'boring' doesn't really count as - without wishing to be too pedantic here - places can't be boring, now people on the other hand: they can be boring.) However, I do accept something along the lines of: 'can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right somehow', I can handle that, but you'll lose me if you start qualifying it with with things like: 'the shops aren't as good as London'; or 'well it's not really a proper city, is it'; or 'didn't like it as much as "home"'.

(b) Love it here, but couldn't find the right job and moved on for work reasons.

Best of luck wherever you opt to land the first, second or even the third time. Whatever you do give it a bloody good go here. Hard work and determination and the right attitude, with some luck thrown in for good measure, will be rewarded.

This one' worth reading too

Originally Posted by Lee and Joanne
THANK YOU ALL YOUR ADVICE.

Three years ago we moved from a large city in the UK to a more laid back lifestyle near the coast. Still feel it was the best thing to do for our two boys. Education is better, fresh air, healthier living. You get the picture. Great if you want the quiet life, which we do as we feel we have lived a full life in the city so fancied a change. BUT the kids have no future here. We both feel it just isn't right for them. Prospects are not very good. Unless they leave the area. I would hate to waste my sons education to working at Mcdonalds or an arcade, or owning a B&B or a few caravans. Because that is all it has to offer.

Joanne

Joanne

It was a bit cryptic but I added 'in a nice way' to the comment about laid back here for a reason. Melbourne (and Sydney for that matter) is a big, busy, bustling city and the most appropriate UK comparison would be London (I'm not saying that Melbourne or Sydney = London, but in terms of the two countries they have similarities). Comparing Australia's other principal cities to UK ones gets very subjective and it would at best result in a bun fight or at worst the thread would go off in all sorts of (interesting) directions but you wouldn't get an answer to your question. But if you list the city you lived in and the place you moved to I'll have a stab at the equivalent places here.

Adelaide's the fifth largest city in Australia and has a population of over 1.1 million; despite the views of some posters it's not a sleepy little hamlet where the most exciting event is the tumbleweed coasting along Rundle Mall every second Tuesday. Here you get the benefit of a decent sized city with all that comes with it without having to cope with the sheer size/cost of the 3 to 4 million inhabitants/megaburbs of the Vic/NSW capitals. There is no doubt that there are more opportunities in Melbourne or Sydney than there are in Adelaide (see the comments made earlier about IT, for example. If I was a thrusting young IT person, I'd be heading for Melbourne or Sydney and not settling in Adelaide.)

In my view if you moved to any of the main cities, including dear old Adelaide, here you don't really need to worry about prospects/jobs for your sons. Not sure how old your sons are, but when I was about 11 my folks moved from a tiny village to a comparatively large coastal town (both in the UK) for very similar reasons, so I can understand where you (and they, even though I didn't at the time) are coming from.

Hope this helps. We are at the final stage of Visa. Should receive it anytime now. Will be going to Adelaide in May/June. Places we like the sound of after months of research are Glenelg and Brighton.But we will rent first before we buy anyway.

Joanne
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this. We both feel Melbourne and Sydney would be too much of the 'big city'. We come from rural Ireland and my OH does not like anywhere too busy. He is a welder which seems to be in demand across the board. Maybe a big generalisation but a lot of trades people I have seen posting on forums seem to have met with more success than people in the I.T skilled professions.
I have a degree that I have never really been able to use in Ireland as all the 'sexy' jobs are in Belfast and Dublin, two places I just don't wanna live so I am used to looking at alternatives, and willing to go in at entry level and work my way up. As long as the OH is able to get a decent wage and be happy, I will pretty much graft at anything, things usually work out!! Fingers crossed!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne via Belfast, Adelaide on 10th Sept!!
Rach25 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

Ideally we would like:
2. Train or bus links

Hey Jess
OH and I are also mid 20s and heading to Adelaide soon (we used to live there and Im Irish so feel free to ask any questions)
It's a cool city. Have a look at www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/ www.adelaidefestival.com.au and www.southaustralia.com
Agree with above posts. Adelaide has everything you'd want. Here are some of the suburbs I'd suggest that are nice and 30mins to city:
Brighton/Glenelg (tho depends how much u wanna spend on property)
West Beach/Henley
Edwardstown/Ascot Park/Plympton
Unley and surrounding is a cool area- cafes and bars etc but pricey.
Anywhere further west or south would be 40mins+ to city. I don't really know the Northern+Eastern suburbs.
Melbourne is a cool city, very arty/musical but you'd find it more difficult finding everything on your list and most importantly not many nice beaches close to city!!
Rach
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help!! Adelaide & Melbourne

Hi,

Thanks so much, will give those websites a sussing out and also have a wee look at property in those areas. It is nice to have another opinion as it's all double dutch to me at the moment. When are you moving to Adelaide?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Hi Jess
I'm also moving to Adelaide soon - probably May - with my Aussie husband. I'm a Yorkshire lass, but lived and worked in Ireland for 2 years. I spent a year in Adelaide (living in the NorthEast suburbs (Tea Tree Gully area) a few years back and was very happy there. Adelaide is very laid back & friendly, more like a big country town than a city in some ways - far less hectic than Melbourne or Sydney. We're hoping to settle in one of the suburbs around Unley - but as Rach said, the inner city suburbs can be quite pricey - most likely be renting to start off with.
When are you hoping to move?
Denese
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne via Belfast, Adelaide on 10th Sept!!
Rach25 will become famous soon enough

Hey guys
my OH is also aussie. Waiting on news on spouse visa. Fingers crossed we'll be there in October.we'll also be renting Denese, saving for deposit!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

hi rach - is your OH an adelaide boy? How far along are you with the spouse visa application? Should be ready to send mine in in a couple of weeks - just got witness statements to chase up. Turnaround seems to be pretty fast in London for frontloaded spouse visas. OH is keen to fly back by the end of May - he's missing the start of the AFL season.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi all

we had set our sights on melbourne / mornington penisula but have spoken to friends that are over there 1 in adelaide the other moving there soon and they both recommend it NOW WE ARE CONFUSED
all the searching you do will never be like the real thing getting out there and looking for yourselves which we are going to do in august / september but am concerned that 5 weeks will not be enough PLEASE HELP
1. both of us are 36 and we have 3 boys 7 4 and 2 so need to settle them first
2. i am a self employed plumber who mainly works on new build (where is there most of the work )
3 . we are both londoners but have moved out to the suburbs as city life is to hectic and not to good for the children so would like similar over there
4. with the nice / pricier suburbs in adelaide / melbourne where does your $ stretch the most
as i said will be coming to do a reccie ourselves but some suggestions would go some way
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

carorp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi steve and Kelly and boy's

We are from Orpington to, and heading for Mornington Peninsula in Sept/Oct.
Husband a self employed sparks and me a nurse, two young children 5 and 7.
We decided Melbourne over adalaide because of the better job prospects and pay. We are leaving all our family and friends in the UK and want to be able to afford to return once a year. Cost of living is lower in Adalaide and therefore house prices generally to, but so are wages! so you will feel the pinch when you visit the UK or if you want to return to the UK in the future!! I hope not! but like to keep options open.

Caroline

Last edited by carorp; Mar 24th 2008 at 8:51 am.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carorp

We decided Melbourne over adalaide because of the better job prospects and pay. We are leaving all our family and friends in the UK and want to be able to afford to return once a year. Cost of living is lower in Adalaide but so are wages so you will feel the pinch when you visit the UK or if you want to return to the UK in the future!! I hope not!

Caroline
hi caroline , good to hear from you did you look into adelaide or straight to melbourne . we have sort have set our sights on mount martha / mornington and surrounding areas our eldest son goes to green street green primary so we are hoping to get a similiar sort of school over there has your oh looked into jobs yet it would be good to hear from you once you are over there so you can let us know how you are getting on
best kelly
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all

we had set our sights on melbourne / mornington penisula but have spoken to friends that are over there 1 in adelaide the other moving there soon and they both recommend it NOW WE ARE CONFUSED
all the searching you do will never be like the real thing getting out there and looking for yourselves which we are going to do in august / september but am concerned that 5 weeks will not be enough PLEASE HELP
1. both of us are 36 and we have 3 boys 7 4 and 2 so need to settle them first
2. i am a self employed plumber who mainly works on new build (where is there most of the work )
3 . we are both londoners but have moved out to the suburbs as city life is to hectic and not to good for the children so would like similar over there
4. with the nice / pricier suburbs in adelaide / melbourne where does your $ stretch the most
as i said will be coming to do a reccie ourselves but some suggestions would go some way
We asked ourselves this same question, we both realy like the idea of Adelaide with it's more laid back lifestyle and getting a bit more for your $.

But ultimately we have decided to head for Melbourne purely because there seems to be more work opportunities (i'm an accountant and OH is in recruitment).

The bottom line for us is job opportunities are going to dictate.

We have looked at a few good websites for both property and work, try these I hope they can help you make this tough decision.

http://www.realestate.com.au/

http://www.jobsinoz.com.au/index.php

http://www.jobserve.com.au/

http://www.jobsearch.com.au/index.ph...3400bb0410d124
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carorp

We decided Melbourne over adalaide because of the better job prospects and pay. We are leaving all our family and friends in the UK and want to be able to afford to return once a year. Cost of living is lower in Adalaide and therefore house prices generally to, but so are wages! so you will feel the pinch when you visit the UK or if you want to return to the UK in the future!! I hope not! but like to keep options open.

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Can I just ask are you going to send your OH to Adelaide to get his electricians licence? It is so much easier in South Australia than Victoria, and will probably save you about 6 - 9 months training from what I have read on here.

For more info check out the electricians forum, and if I can answer any questions on the licencing or ARTC side please feel free to PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.