Help!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:50 am
Just Joined

oakyyy will become famous soon enoughoakyyy will become famous soon enough
Default Help!!!!!!!!!

Hello to everyone,
A few facts first, my TRA as a general plumber was passed in a month apllied 1/12/05 and received the 'yes' on 4/1/06. At this present moment we are awaiting our visa hopefully at the end of May, our house is sold and are hoping to book the flights for around the 1st of August and will do once the buyer of the house has signed for the house.

I have heard that there are jobs to go to, although I have read the threads that they are long hours and the wages are not that clever. However I have just learned by way ringing the 'plumbers licensing board' in perth to find out that I will not be able to get a license because I do not have a formal qualifications although I am time served, CORGI registered and have been running my own business for the last five years and without sounding like I am 'blowing my own trumpet', but I suppose I am, are bloody good at my job.

To conclude with my present feelings, the TRA is less useful than toilet paper,
there must be hundreds of wasted skilled tradesmen in australia either trying to get a licence or given up and changed careers. Before you leave the U.K, 'Yes you have passed as a skilled general plumber, you now have access to Australia in your chosen proffesion by the offical Australian goverment' and WHEN YOU ARRIVE 'oooppppss sorry, I know you've sold up and cut all ties in the U.K, come half round the world with your family BUT you can't have a job as a plumber'.
I now I sound angry but I am, I still intend on going to Australia and I'm glad I found this out before I land there but is there some form of false advertising going on by the Australian goverment.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by oakyyy
Hello to everyone,
A few facts first, my TRA as a general plumber was passed in a month apllied 1/12/05 and received the 'yes' on 4/1/06. At this present moment we are awaiting our visa hopefully at the end of May, our house is sold and are hoping to book the flights for around the 1st of August and will do once the buyer of the house has signed for the house.

I have heard that there are jobs to go to, although I have read the threads that they are long hours and the wages are not that clever. However I have just learned by way ringing the 'plumbers licensing board' in perth to find out that I will not be able to get a license because I do not have a formal qualifications although I am time served, CORGI registered and have been running my own business for the last five years and without sounding like I am 'blowing my own trumpet', but I suppose I am, are bloody good at my job.

To conclude with my present feelings, the TRA is less useful than toilet paper,
there must be hundreds of wasted skilled tradesmen in australia either trying to get a licence or given up and changed careers. Before you leave the U.K, 'Yes you have passed as a skilled general plumber, you now have access to Australia in your chosen proffesion by the offical Australian goverment' and WHEN YOU ARRIVE 'oooppppss sorry, I know you've sold up and cut all ties in the U.K, come half round the world with your family BUT you can't have a job as a plumber'.
I now I sound angry but I am, I still intend on going to Australia and I'm glad I found this out before I land there but is there some form of false advertising going on by the Australian goverment.

You will need to have your skills converted to Oz ones when you arrive. It may include a period at TAFE and/or more training.

My hubby is an Electrician and we knew this from the outset. After all it's a different country with different rules and regulations
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WendyC
You will need to have your skills converted to Oz ones when you arrive. It may include a period at TAFE and/or more training.

My hubby is an Electrician and we knew this from the outset. After all it's a different country with different rules and regulations
I understand that it is a different country with different rules but to be told I am recognised as a general plumber and then not is confusing, however how do you convert your skills based on experience only?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that it is a different country with different rules but to be told I am recognised as a general plumber and then not is confusing, however how do you convert your skills based on experience only?

You need to do a domestic skills assessment, the link is here

It is daft I agree, but if that's what it takes then nothing we can do about it really
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:26 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Your skills have been assessed to see if you are eligable for obtaining a visa, your skills have not been tested for your ability to do the job. Yes it is frustrating but it is not just for you, the majority of tradies coming to WA have to get their ticket too. If this really is a problem for you to accept then i suggest you have a rethink about coming, you will have to face loads of red tape in all aspects of your new life here, because it is just that...new... what has gone before is of little relevence as it all happened in a different country.
I may be wrong but i thought that you could work before you got your ticket so long as you were working for someone, or is that just for electricians, sorry i'm not sure recruitment is not my area.

Don't stress about it, you have your visa hundreds of people would love to swap places with you, if you are as good as you say you are whats the problem? You'll sail through getting your licence

Good luck
Lynn
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Your skills have been assessed to see if you are eligable for obtaining a visa, your skills have not been tested for your ability to do the job. Yes it is frustrating but it is not just for you, the majority of tradies coming to WA have to get their ticket too. If this really is a problem for you to accept then i suggest you have a rethink about coming, you will have to face loads of red tape in all aspects of your new life here, because it is just that...new... what has gone before is of little relevence as it all happened in a different country.
I may be wrong but i thought that you could work before you got your ticket so long as you were working for someone, or is that just for electricians, sorry i'm not sure recruitment is not my area.

Don't stress about it, you have your visa hundreds of people would love to swap places with you, if you are as good as you say you are whats the problem? You'll sail through getting your licence

Good luck
Lynn

I know I dont want to live in the UK and I will move to Australia regardless whether I continue in plumbing or not basically I want to know if it is possible for me to do so.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until Fraser sees this thread!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:44 am
Just Joined

tel3563 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I dont want to live in the UK and I will move to Australia regardless whether I continue in plumbing or not basically I want to know if it is possible for me to do so.
Oakky, it sounds to me like its just like getting CORGI registered, you have to take exams for that right even though You know you can do the job well,(and various updates, pressurised systems etc), should be a breeze mate. I too am having probs, I'm a builder over here ( once contracts manager) and now i can only look for Bricklaying work, apparently I have to re train for 5 years, 3 nights a week to be considered worthy of becoming a General Builder in Oz??????? At 42 a non starter i think, but maybe not , good luck m8
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I can't wait until Fraser sees this thread!

Cheers

Buzzy
Who's Fraser? I'm new to the site
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who's Fraser? I'm new to the site
He's a plumber. He will be able to tell you about his experience.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:46 am
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all
Smile Re: Help!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tel3563
Oakky, it sounds to me like its just like getting CORGI registered, you have to take exams for that right even though You know you can do the job well,(and various updates, pressurised systems etc), should be a breeze mate. I too am having probs, I'm a builder over here ( once contracts manager) and now i can only look for Bricklaying work, apparently I have to re train for 5 years, 3 nights a week to be considered worthy of becoming a General Builder in Oz??????? At 42 a non starter i think, but maybe not , good luck m8
Hiya, My husbands 40 and a carpenter with 22 years experience, I emailed an agency in Brisbane to see if he would have to do further training and his reply was:

I think as long as your husband passes through TRA testing, his trade accreditations will be qualified according to Australian standards. In Australia, we don’t have generic inductions – they are different from state to state. For instance, if you reside in QLD your husband would need to attain a blue card – which is essentially a 4 hour construction induction before he can work on any construction sites. Just wondered if this applied to builders as well instead of 5 years training.

Cheers

Sharon

I hope that helps,