Help!

Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

amyjohnston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!

I'd just started the application process for skilled migration when suddenly my boyfriend possibly has a job transfer to Sydney. Suddenly 2 years to plan has turned into a few months. I'm feeling panicked. And I don't even know if I should be. We've been waiting 8 weeks now since he was interviewed and still no definate answer.

Can anyone recommend a book which provides a good overview of life in Oz/Sydney? I've been searching Amazon but everything seems very much aimed at the backpacker/tourist needs rather than the migrant.

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I cannot recommend a book - but the same thing has happen to me. My boyfriend and I had started the Skills assessment part of the application when and old colleague of his now working in Sydney mentioned him for a job.

He had 3 telephone interviews over a period of 4 weeks and has been offered the job. He has accepted -we decided that although we were thinking in terms of end 2004, there are no guarantee of getting the Visa. We are looking at going over in Feb and I am also pretty scared - but very very excited. I understand your panic and I hope you get a positive response.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!

Originally posted by amyjohnston
I'd just started the application process for skilled migration when suddenly my boyfriend possibly has a job transfer to Sydney. Suddenly 2 years to plan has turned into a few months. I'm feeling panicked. And I don't even know if I should be. We've been waiting 8 weeks now since he was interviewed and still no definate answer.

Can anyone recommend a book which provides a good overview of life in Oz/Sydney? I've been searching Amazon but everything seems very much aimed at the backpacker/tourist needs rather than the migrant.

Thanks for your help.

Hi!

I can't remember the name of the book, but I did see some good books in the library, so you could try there. Otherwise, search the net!

Noodle.x
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.
Amy

As far as getting a non-backpacker/tourist view this site provides a lot of valuable information. Just do a few searches - Sydney, Australia, life in Australia etc, etc and you will get a lot of info.

Bear in mind that you won't get the backpacker/tourist view here necessarily - as you might expect the recently arrived, missing the UK, things are different here, they don't have marmite, tesco, Branston pickles etc, TV is poor, schools are behind, the locals are lazy, the wages are lower, type of view seems to predominate! (That's a continual debate on the site).

I can't off-hand recommend a suitable book but the internet has mountains of information about Oz and Sydney. A Google search will throw up enough to keep you going for weeks - but you've probably done all this already?

Good luck with the move.

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:12 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amy,

Try this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...503044-0503005

Its more of a how to live in Australia book, but it tells you all you need to know. There's another similar one by Laura Veltman but it just annoyed me because she reckons Australians say 'dinky di' all the time and she's never heard of the internet .

Jane
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:25 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help.
Useful books include:

Getting into Australia: The Complete Immigration Guide to Gaining Your Visa

Living & Working In Australia

Getting A Job In Australia

Live and Work in Australia & New Zealand

Culture Shock! Australia: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette

Living and Working in Australia - David Hampshire

For books on individual cities plus a search facility look at

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/books.php

Sydney link is http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/bookssydney.php

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 14th 2003 at 2:37 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
For books on different Cities look at [URL=http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/books.php] links plus search facility

Other useful books include:

Living & Working In Australia

Getting A Job In Australia

Live and Work in Australia & New Zealand

Culture Shock! Australia: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette

Living and Working in Australia - David Hampshire
Great links I have an old edition of David Hampshire's book and it was very good from memory.

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

reddevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help.
HI HAVE U tryed www.webwombat.com.au
Old Nov 19th 2003, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

amyjohnston is an unknown quantity at this point

You're all a lot more competent at searching amazon than me. Thanks for all your help. We still await an answer about the job, so fingers crossed. Besides anything else I need to start sleeping again.
Good luck with the move scamp.

Amy