Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Perth

Renting in Perth

Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Perth

Me being a fair skinned Mancunian and all that, I will deffo need a pool over there, only thing is not many estate agents seem to be offering properties for rent with pools. Is this common? From what I have seen of Perth(I've been 4 times) a lot of places have pools and I was under the impression pretty much everyone has one so is it just that there is a shortage in rentals at the mo or is it like this generally?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Pools need quite a bit of looking after & you just can't trust the tenants to do so, therefore when they move out it costs a lot to get the pool back up to standard. Generalisation about tenants I know but you can see a landlords point. When we were looking for a rental there were none with pools available.

The house we're renting should be empty just before or after Christmas, no pool but a max 10 min walk to the beach!

Loopy
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
Pools need quite a bit of looking after & you just can't trust the tenants to do so, therefore when they move out it costs a lot to get the pool back up to standard. Generalisation about tenants I know but you can see a landlords point. When we were looking for a rental there were none with pools available.

The house we're renting should be empty just before or after Christmas, no pool but a max 10 min walk to the beach!

Loopy
There are a few with pools, but not that many, and out of the ones that do, many don't have security fencing around them (important if you have young kids).

I think the reason for this is that most rental properties are bought as investments, the tax system here encourages this. Most of these so called "investment" properties aren't as nice as the ones people actually want to own and live in.

I've looked at LOADS over the last year and so many are really awful places.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:39 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth
There are a few with pools, but not that many, and out of the ones that do, many don't have security fencing around them (important if you have young kids).

I think the reason for this is that most rental properties are bought as investments, the tax system here encourages this. Most of these so called "investment" properties aren't as nice as the ones people actually want to own and live in.

I've looked at LOADS over the last year and so many are really awful places.
When we arrived here we rented a place with a pool. It didn't have a fence around it and when I spoke to the agency I was told that the landlord would have to put a fence around it by law, within 3 months.

The counil came out and were horrified at the size and depth of the pool. Very dangerous we were told for families with children. The landlord had 3 months to put up the fence which he did in 2 weeks.

If you rent anywhere now with a pool it is law that it has to have a fence around it.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
When we arrived here we rented a place with a pool. It didn't have a fence around it and when I spoke to the agency I was told that the landlord would have to put a fence around it by law, within 3 months.

The counil came out and were horrified at the size and depth of the pool. Very dangerous we were told for families with children. The landlord had 3 months to put up the fence which he did in 2 weeks.

If you rent anywhere now with a pool it is law that it has to have a fence around it.
My understanding was that it had to be secure. For example, gates from the side of the house needed to be padlocked.

We saw few, unfenced pools when we looked for a house and if the situation is the landlord has to put a fence up if you have kids, then that is in itself a big disincentive for them not to rent to you.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 2:02 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth
My understanding was that it had to be secure. For example, gates from the side of the house needed to be padlocked.

We saw few, unfenced pools when we looked for a house and if the situation is the landlord has to put a fence up if you have kids, then that is in itself a big disincentive for them not to rent to you.
Yeh, I think your right. When we first went to look I mentioned to the property manager that the house had no fence and she said 'oh, its ok because no one can get in from outside because the gates swing shut if left open' I said that I meant about a fence because of our daughter!!! We kept her indoors for 2 weeks before the fence went up (our daughter not the property manager!) and it was a scary time, luckily she wasn't a toddler.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 2:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
Yeh, I think your right. When we first went to look I mentioned to the property manager that the house had no fence and she said 'oh, its ok because no one can get in from outside because the gates swing shut if left open' I said that I meant about a fence because of our daughter!!! We kept her indoors for 2 weeks before the fence went up (our daughter not the property manager!) and it was a scary time, luckily she wasn't a toddler.
The fence is a legal requirement in NSW because so many kids were drowning in backyard pools.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:29 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in Perth do you hope to rent? When?
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Secure is the operative word, for pools installed before a certain year. After that date, all pools have to be fenced. My (unfenced) pool has been in-situ for many years, and is placed on the block in such a way that fencing is difficult.

The pool was inspected and passed earlier this year during a routine inspection by the local council. Requirements are locks on side gates, the garage door (any means of entry, in other words), the back door of the house must have a lock set above a certain height, and windows must also have locks, so the little dears don't climb out.

The house is undergoing a paint job (I have a pic of the painter painting around the chandeliers) and new carpet should be laid by December 1st. I'm currently advertising for tenants at $200 a week, so email me if you are interested: [email protected].

I've had lots of enquiries from students all scrambling to sort out their accommodation for the coming year, but would prefer to rent to a family with older children. Its getting busy out there!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to mention - professional pool maintenance is included in the $200 fee, so that's one outlay you won't have to worry about.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

pps.
I will be living in this house when we return from France, so it isn't just "an investment property". We expect to be away for another 12 months, maybe longer.

Having said that, I agree with Renth is this post and others he has made. A good man to listen to.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

we arrive in perth dec.12th and are looking to rent somewhere immediately

the area doesnt really bother me as long as the house is nice and it has a pool and air con. and is less than $300 a week

we dont wanna be more than 20-25k out of the city though - dont fancy too much of a trek to get to work

we havent got any nippers so the fence issue doesnt really affect us....

whereabouts is your gaff, dawn?
Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Located in East Perth, you'll be able to walk to work, or cycle, or drive, or catch the train.... easy peasy! Close to Banks Reserve, if that helps.

Maybe Renth or someone will check it out for you, so you don't have to rely on my opinion.

I'll email you some pics, and the location map. Tried to attach the map here, but lost confidence that it would work.

Stand by.....!!!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Dawn

You have mail.

Cheers!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 3:22 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by warwick road
we arrive in perth dec.12th and are looking to rent somewhere immediately

the area doesnt really bother me as long as the house is nice and it has a pool and air con. and is less than $300 a week

we dont wanna be more than 20-25k out of the city though - dont fancy too much of a trek to get to work

we havent got any nippers so the fence issue doesnt really affect us....

whereabouts is your gaff, dawn?
If you are looking at apartments local paper advertising refurbished, secure apartments, rev/airocon, communal pool.in Applecross, $210-£310 for one and three bedroomed. let me know if you want the number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.