Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello from the sunny coast

Hello from the sunny coast

Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Mepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really nice
Smile Hello from the sunny coast

I'm new to this site and wanted to say hello. Moved to the sunshine coast a few months ago with my husband, who is an aussie, but not from QLD. Previously lived in Birmingham and finding it very different here , but enjoying the beach, weather etc. Would welcome some suggestions for interesting social things to do in the area? (we live in mooloolaba).
Melanie
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from the sunny coast

Originally Posted by Mepy
I'm new to this site and wanted to say hello. Moved to the sunshine coast a few months ago with my husband, who is an aussie, but not from QLD. Previously lived in Birmingham and finding it very different here , but enjoying the beach, weather etc. Would welcome some suggestions for interesting social things to do in the area? (we live in mooloolaba).
Melanie

Can't help with things to do over there as I'm in South Australia, just wanted to welcome you to the site, so welcome!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:05 am
Just Joined

linzandowen is an unknown quantity at this point

Melanie
Hey Melanie,
New to this site also, living in Mooloolaba for the last 6 months with my hubby Owen. Loving it here also, but very different from home, especially the social scene which is a lot quieter for us. Found it quite difficult to establish a social network so far, so can't offer a lot of advice there sorry!
Seems like you're in a similar situation and age group to us, so might be cool to meet up for a night out or something?
Linz
Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hello and welcome to expats i'm back on after a little while away so feels a bit starnge, anyway, if youre ever up noosa way and you'd like to meet just drop me a pm. i do tea and wine at the harbour on a too regular basis and you'd be welcome to join me
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Mepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hello and welcome to expats i'm back on after a little while away so feels a bit starnge, anyway, if youre ever up noosa way and you'd like to meet just drop me a pm. i do tea and wine at the harbour on a too regular basis and you'd be welcome to join me

Thanks to all who replied for the welcome, it is a bit quiet in Mooloolaba and has been a shock for both of us having lived in major cities most of our lifes. Still I was at the beach today thinking actually this is OK . Debbie, I will definately drop you a line if I'm up in Noosa. Linz, whereabouts in Mooloo do you live and what do you think so far? I'd be interested to know.
Melanie
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all who replied for the welcome, it is a bit quiet in Mooloolaba and has been a shock for both of us having lived in major cities most of our lifes. Still I was at the beach today thinking actually this is OK . Debbie, I will definately drop you a line if I'm up in Noosa. Linz, whereabouts in Mooloo do you live and what do you think so far? I'd be interested to know.
Melanie
We've always lived around Bristol and Cardiff so know what you mean about it being a bit quiet here. Although, its actually quite nice being away from the hustle and bustle and people seem a lot more chilled out here. When it gets busy for school hols etc.... reminds us of the traffic and stuff we've left behind, and we really don't miss that!
We seem to be doing a lot more activities here than back home, so our time gets filled with that rather than watching TV hungover from regular nights out !!
On the whole, loving it here, and loving spending time outdoors. The major drawback is that we wish we could ship all our friends and family from home over here to join us, but we can't have everything can we?!
We're on the Spit at Mooloolaba by the way, so maybe I jogged past you on the beach today!!
Linz
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by linzandowen
We've always lived around Bristol and Cardiff so know what you mean about it being a bit quiet here. Although, its actually quite nice being away from the hustle and bustle and people seem a lot more chilled out here. When it gets busy for school hols etc.... reminds us of the traffic and stuff we've left behind, and we really don't miss that!
We seem to be doing a lot more activities here than back home, so our time gets filled with that rather than watching TV hungover from regular nights out !!
On the whole, loving it here, and loving spending time outdoors. The major drawback is that we wish we could ship all our friends and family from home over here to join us, but we can't have everything can we?!
We're on the Spit at Mooloolaba by the way, so maybe I jogged past you on the beach today!!
Linz

The Spit! I live around the corner and was walking down there this evening. I know what you mean about activites, we are certainly fitter living here. Although OH still regularly plonked infront of TV with beer
I guess missing family is a big deal for all expats, I'm aiming to go back to visit every year and I keep in touch with SKYPE. Anyway, you live so close to us, maybe we could meet up on the Esplanade sometime, would be cool to have a chat over coffee/chardy?
Melanie
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:36 am
Just Joined

The Spit! I live around the corner and was walking down there this evening. I know what you mean about activites, we are certainly fitter living here. Although OH still regularly plonked infront of TV with beer
I guess missing family is a big deal for all expats, I'm aiming to go back to visit every year and I keep in touch with SKYPE. Anyway, you live so close to us, maybe we could meet up on the Esplanade sometime, would be cool to have a chat over coffee/chardy?
Melanie
That sounds great, I'll send you an e-mail with my contact details and we will sort something out. Linz
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by linzandowen
That sounds great, I'll send you an e-mail with my contact details and we will sort something out. Linz

That would be great, my email's attached to the site.
Melanie
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Melanie
Hi Melanie,
My name is Lesley and I have just moved to Marcoola to be with my aussie fiance. Only been in country for 3 weeks and am from Liverpool. My mum came over with me but went home yesterday so it feels like day 1 for me today...Perhaps we could catch up sometime x
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi Melanie,
My name is Lesley and I have just moved to Marcoola to be with my aussie fiance. Only been in country for 3 weeks and am from Liverpool. My mum came over with me but went home yesterday so it feels like day 1 for me today...Perhaps we could catch up sometime x
Hi Lesley. Know how you are feeling. I found it hard intially when we first moved here as i did not have a job and was stuck home while Owen was at work. I knew absolutely nobody and felt quite lonely. Things get better though. If you want to meet up anytime I'm just down the road. I'll send you an e-mail with my contact details.Linz
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Arrhh good to see us brits slowly filling up this part of the Sunny Coast!..we've been here a bit longer (June) so know a few places maybe not visited by newer peeps...get in touch if you feel the need to mingle always here to help ..OR hang the odd door or two(or any other DIY you want doing ) .. Simon.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi Melanie,

I thought the coast was just full of very tanned Aussie retirees, well how wrong I was. It’s great to hear about other British peeps who’ve made it out here, and we should definitely get together to swap stories. Lesley, Linz, Simon – I’m really pleased you replied, and will certainly drop an email and arrange a meet-up if you’re interested?
Melanie
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

hi, we've been here in Buderim since the end of June and we love it. we had a meet at the kawana waters hotel last month and there were around 20 people from the expats site there. there were some new arrivals and others that had been here a couple of years or so. it was good for everyone to get together and exchange numbers etc and just chat about our experiences so far. perhaps it's time for another meet? selina x