Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just finished my first week in an ozzie workplace!!

Just finished my first week in an ozzie workplace!!

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just finished my first week in an ozzie workplace!!

Well.... i've been a member of BE for a while (a few peeps might remember me from a couple of the North-West meets) and we finally made it here to Perth!

I haven't been on in ages and firstly, i really want to thank every one for all of their help, this website has been an endless supply of support and a one-stop information saviour!! So Thanks Guys!!! Loads & Loads!!

We arrived in Perth on the 4th Oct and fortunately we're staying with mum & Graham (they've been here for 7 months now!) so it's halving the rent!!
We sorted out tax files, medicare, licenses, blah blah in the first 2 weeks and got the money transfer sorted for the cars, etc! Within 3 weeks i had my first interview and got the job!

And what can i say.... the long slog back in the UK was all well worth it - selling the house, leaving everything we know and we're familiar with was hard, but as i drive along the Swan River on the way to work and take the Sunset Tourist Drive along the coast in the evening, it's all become worth it!!
This lifestyle is definitely for me and i still can't believe i'm here!!

The people at work have been great, welcoming me left, right and centre, they're just great and so accomodating!! I also can't get over how polite the kids are here,(I work in a school - i know it's early days, only been back here 4 weeks, but i'm not a 'glass is half empty' kinda girl!) they're telling me to have a great day and saying good morning, good afternoon - they've been fantastic!

It may well be the honeymoon period as so many people say it is - but i'm working now, will receive all my furniture in about 2 weeks and will make Perth my new home!

Maybe i will start to resent the accent, hate Ozzie TV and long for a pint at the local in a few years but i'm making the most of now and i'm happy enjoying people's positive outlook, bike riding along the coast and having an ice cold glass of wine in the back garden next to the BBQ!!

So.... i know it seems like the big move to Oz will never arrive, but it will and it'll be everything that you make it!! I wish all the very best to everyone struggling to get your visas, selling the house,etc.. I know exactly how you feel and i wish you all the very best!!

(A very happy...) Mish x x x
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:26 am
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice
Default Re: Just finished my first week in an ozzie workplace!!

Glad everything is working out for you. From the sounds of things it has definately been a good move - you just sound so happy.

Fiona
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congratulations !

Originally Posted by mish & al
Well.... i've been a member of BE for a while (a few peeps might remember me from a couple of the North-West meets) and we finally made it here to Perth!

I haven't been on in ages and firstly, i really want to thank every one for all of their help, this website has been an endless supply of support and a one-stop information saviour!! So Thanks Guys!!! Loads & Loads!!

We arrived in Perth on the 4th Oct and fortunately we're staying with mum & Graham (they've been here for 7 months now!) so it's halving the rent!!
We sorted out tax files, medicare, licenses, blah blah in the first 2 weeks and got the money transfer sorted for the cars, etc! Within 3 weeks i had my first interview and got the job!

And what can i say.... the long slog back in the UK was all well worth it - selling the house, leaving everything we know and we're familiar with was hard, but as i drive along the Swan River on the way to work and take the Sunset Tourist Drive along the coast in the evening, it's all become worth it!!
This lifestyle is definitely for me and i still can't believe i'm here!!

The people at work have been great, welcoming me left, right and centre, they're just great and so accomodating!! I also can't get over how polite the kids are here,(I work in a school - i know it's early days, only been back here 4 weeks, but i'm not a 'glass is half empty' kinda girl!) they're telling me to have a great day and saying good morning, good afternoon - they've been fantastic!

It may well be the honeymoon period as so many people say it is - but i'm working now, will receive all my furniture in about 2 weeks and will make Perth my new home!

Maybe i will start to resent the accent, hate Ozzie TV and long for a pint at the local in a few years but i'm making the most of now and i'm happy enjoying people's positive outlook, bike riding along the coast and having an ice cold glass of wine in the back garden next to the BBQ!!

So.... i know it seems like the big move to Oz will never arrive, but it will and it'll be everything that you make it!! I wish all the very best to everyone struggling to get your visas, selling the house,etc.. I know exactly how you feel and i wish you all the very best!!

(A very happy...) Mish x x x

Well done. I'm really glad it's all working out for you. We are hoping to be in Perth within the next 6 months.

We visited earlier in the year on our recce and thought Perth was a lovely city, and we also found the youngsters to be so well-mannered. A couple of
times we got the train from the northern suburbs to Perth and back and we were amazed at the schoolchildren's smartness, manners ( getting up for adults to sit down ) and lack of rowdiness.

Which area are you living in ?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Congratulations !

Originally Posted by elmtree
Well done. I'm really glad it's all working out for you. We are hoping to be in Perth within the next 6 months.

We visited earlier in the year on our recce and thought Perth was a lovely city, and we also found the youngsters to be so well-mannered. A couple of
times we got the train from the northern suburbs to Perth and back and we were amazed at the schoolchildren's smartness, manners ( getting up for adults to sit down ) and lack of rowdiness.

Which area are you living in ?
We live in Wanneroo, but i work very near Perth!!
Where you thinking of moving to?

They are...well mannered - the lot... it's almost shocking!! :0)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[

(A very happy...) Mish x x x [/QUOTE]

Hi Mish n Al

Glad everything is what you hoped it would be.

Maybe see you next year ?

Dave/Wendy
Oldham
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Congratulations !

We live in Wanneroo, but i work very near Perth!!
Where you thinking of moving to?

They are...well mannered - the lot... it's almost shocking!! :0)

Well, we rented in Quinns Rocks but the prices are a bit steep there, so we were thinking of Clarkson, Currambine, Connolly or Kinross.

Is Wanneroo nice ?

The teenagers - we couldn't believe that there were no hoodies, the kids weren't swearing all the time and getting out of their seat for an adult !!!! .... and they weren't even doing it just to mug the adult either !!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, we've had no problems here and the neighbours are dead friendly!!

We like a lot of the Northern suburbs but the rent, quality/size of house and allowance of animals played a large part in the decision in the end.

We always new we had a lot of exploring to do when we arrived and we still do, so who knows were we'll buy a property at this stage, but there are plenty of lovely suburbs everywhere... there are plenty of hidden gems!!

All the best with your move here, maybe i'll see you by the river!!
Yep, that means you too Mindblower - hope things are going well with the plans!?!

Mish x x x
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, we've had no problems here and the neighbours are dead friendly!!

We like a lot of the Northern suburbs but the rent, quality/size of house and allowance of animals played a large part in the decision in the end.

We always new we had a lot of exploring to do when we arrived and we still do, so who knows were we'll buy a property at this stage, but there are plenty of lovely suburbs everywhere... there are plenty of hidden gems!!

All the best with your move here, maybe i'll see you by the river!!
Yep, that means you too Mindblower - hope things are going well with the plans!?!

Mish x x x

Hey, Mish. Just noticed you are from Oldham. We are in Failsworth. Perth's a bit different to Oldham, isn't it ??? Funnily enough, I'm just nipping in to town in a minute - do you want me to get you anything ?

Just seen Wanneroo on Multimap and will have a look at realestate.com when I get back from sunny ( it really IS sunny today ) Oldham.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

From a family who've just started out on the journey of applying for a visa, it's always nice (and reassuring!) to read of people who have made the move and settled in Australia. You understand what we've got ahead of us, ("if only you knew the half of it" I hear you cry )

We wish you the best of luck and can't wait until we can post that we're settled in Melbourne, and loving every minute of it !!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by True Blue Toffee
From a family who've just started out on the journey of applying for a visa, it's always nice (and reassuring!) to read of people who have made the move and settled in Australia. You understand what we've got ahead of us, ("if only you knew the half of it" I hear you cry )

We wish you the best of luck and can't wait until we can post that we're settled in Melbourne, and loving every minute of it !!!

Good luck to you, TrueBlue. We are getting there, slowly but surely. It seems to take forever but I've had my qualif's assessed as positive and that was the main hurdle in our journey.

I can't wait to drive along that coast road again - like Mish mentioned earlier - it sure beats the hell out of the M62 !!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Good luck to you, TrueBlue. We are getting there, slowly but surely. It seems to take forever but I've had my qualif's assessed as positive and that was the main hurdle in our journey.

I can't wait to drive along that coast road again - like Mish mentioned earlier - it sure beats the hell out of the M62 !!

Thanks Elmtree

M57 nightmare this morning.............but I sat there thinking "when we're in Australia blah, blah, blah"

Amazing how quickly I was smiling. Granted, people were looking at me probably thinking "weirdo", oh, if only they knew
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by True Blue Toffee

I know, and i'm so relieved that i can write a good one!!
Before we came i made myself read all the posts that were about people's struggles with jobs, home sickness, etc to make sure i was prepared for the time ahead of us, i wanted to make sure that i wouldn't expect things to be perfect and to be glorious all the time! And i'm really grateful for those posts!

Thankfully, we're fortunate enough to have my mum and step-dad here for support, we don't have kids to worry about, etc so our circumstances are different to a lot of others.

I'm just grateful we've been lucky enough to persue this and to enjoy it. It won't always be easy... but we're loving it so far.... each day at a time!! :0)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, Mish. Just noticed you are from Oldham. We are in Failsworth. Perth's a bit different to Oldham, isn't it ??? Funnily enough, I'm just nipping in to town in a minute - do you want me to get you anything ?

Just seen Wanneroo on Multimap and will have a look at realestate.com when I get back from sunny ( it really IS sunny today ) Oldham.
Hee hee... Yep, another Oldhamer!! :0)

You could always get me a pastie from Greggs or a nice 'Pasanda Nawabi with special rice' from the Indian Ocean in Chadderton!! mmmm

Mish x x x
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:47 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hee hee... Yep, another Oldhamer!! :0)

You could always get me a pastie from Greggs or a nice 'Pasanda Nawabi with special rice' from the Indian Ocean in Chadderton!! mmmm

Mish x x x

Small world!
Mum lives in Chadderton (Firwood Park) and I worked at the Royal Oldham!
Glad you are settling in, we were like you, everything just fell into place (well not all of it, but it was better than we expected)
Good luck,
Tracey
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Small world!
Mum lives in Chadderton (Firwood Park) and I worked at the Royal Oldham!
Glad you are settling in, we were like you, everything just fell into place (well not all of it, but it was better than we expected)
Good luck,
Tracey
A very small world indeeedy.... mum worked at Royal Oldham - M.A.U!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.