Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello!! - report from sydney

Hello!! - report from sydney

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Hello!! - report from sydney

Well I used to live on this bloody forum whilst waiting to emmigrate (managed to somehow have a job where i did nothing all day but use the internet). I have now been in Sydney 8 months and feel i have been in my new job sufficiently long enough to start hopping on the internet once again in between pretending to graft although i don't think I'll get away with 7 hours a day but you have to start somewhere and break them in gently!

8 months in to living in Sydney and we are still very happy. Had a couple of visitors - last one who left this week was my sister and neices, and previously my dad. Saying bye all over again is truly heart breaking but i suppose eventually i will toughen up.

I am all out of whack with the seasons as dark nights are now setting in and i keep finding myself singing christmas carrolls! People here love the fact its getting slightly cooler and everyone on the bus is wearing scarves and gloves which makes me laugh as its still about 20 degrees! But it definitely is feeling a bit 'wintery' which is upsetting me as i like to visit the beach every day after work (now not possible too dark!) although forecast for weekend is 30.

Still struggling a bit with the difference in UK/Australian humour and its difficult making friends when you are 30 odd as opposed to when you form most of your friends at 7ish but the longer we are here the more stuff we are getting involved in so we'll get there. Oh yeah and they work long hours!!! I was used to a 35 hour week so 40 plus is a major shock to me. And only 4 weeks holiday (with 2 of these having to be taken at xmas when they close) WHAT IS ALL THAT ABOUT?

Still feel it was defo the right decision and love our lifestyle but the same old things get you down, bad news on the TV, (in fact bad TV full stop) and high taxes etc etc. Do miss friends and family a great deal but time will tell if the sacrifice is worth it.

My advice to anybody about to make the move or wondering whether to. You have to try it for yourself to know whether its for you, you can only listen to so much advice (she says giving advice!), Allow yourself time, the first few months are especially hard but time flies - i'm allowing two years before i even contemplate if this is where I want to long term. And pack everything, everything and everything and bring it with you. I have repurchased nearly everything I threw away as I just thought it would be easier. It isn't and I regret it.

Anyway good luck to all. Took me 2.5 years to get here and it's a grueller watching that post box

x
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:21 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hello!! - report from sydney

Know what you mean about saying good bye to visiting family. It's almost as tough as leaving them the first time.
We laugh about the locals and their urgency to put on the winter woolies when we hardly bother with a coat still.

What job are you doing that works you harder than in the UK? Jules and I both find it easier here. Less holiday for me, but my hours are more flexible and certainly easier - I no longer take work home with me if I can help it. I had no choice back in the UK.

Where abouts in Sydney are you? Don't forget to update your profile - it still says Notts.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayneS
Well I used to live on this bloody forum whilst waiting to emmigrate (managed to somehow have a job where i did nothing all day but use the internet). I have now been in Sydney 8 months and feel i have been in my new job sufficiently long enough to start hopping on the internet once again in between pretending to graft although i don't think I'll get away with 7 hours a day but you have to start somewhere and break them in gently!

8 months in to living in Sydney and we are still very happy. Had a couple of visitors - last one who left this week was my sister and neices, and previously my dad. Saying bye all over again is truly heart breaking but i suppose eventually i will toughen up.

I am all out of whack with the seasons as dark nights are now setting in and i keep finding myself singing christmas carrolls! People here love the fact its getting slightly cooler and everyone on the bus is wearing scarves and gloves which makes me laugh as its still about 20 degrees! But it definitely is feeling a bit 'wintery' which is upsetting me as i like to visit the beach every day after work (now not possible too dark!) although forecast for weekend is 30.

Still struggling a bit with the difference in UK/Australian humour and its difficult making friends when you are 30 odd as opposed to when you form most of your friends at 7ish but the longer we are here the more stuff we are getting involved in so we'll get there. Oh yeah and they work long hours!!! I was used to a 35 hour week so 40 plus is a major shock to me. And only 4 weeks holiday (with 2 of these having to be taken at xmas when they close) WHAT IS ALL THAT ABOUT?

Still feel it was defo the right decision and love our lifestyle but the same old things get you down, bad news on the TV, (in fact bad TV full stop) and high taxes etc etc. Do miss friends and family a great deal but time will tell if the sacrifice is worth it.

My advice to anybody about to make the move or wondering whether to. You have to try it for yourself to know whether its for you, you can only listen to so much advice (she says giving advice!), Allow yourself time, the first few months are especially hard but time flies - i'm allowing two years before i even contemplate if this is where I want to long term. And pack everything, everything and everything and bring it with you. I have repurchased nearly everything I threw away as I just thought it would be easier. It isn't and I regret it.

Anyway good luck to all. Took me 2.5 years to get here and it's a grueller watching that post box

x
Are you going to the Sydney meet this weekend Jayne??
Old Mar 31st 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Hello!! - report from sydney

x
Defo agree with you that you just have to try it. I just went back to the UK for a visit after 2 years away and it was hard saying goodbye again but I think you make up for not seeing people by speaking on the phone and emailing. I know I speak more to my parents now that I'm halfway across the world than when I lived 12 miles away!

Making friends can be difficult but I've found it easier having an aussie partner. Being 7 here and making friends would definately be easier.

I know what you mean about the holidays not being as generous but I find the work hours less than the UK. And the bus journey to work is so funny with everyone in gloves and scarves.

Hope you enjoy it and being so far away just makes it all better when you do have visitors as you tend to make the most of it.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

I would love to - is it 12noon - my mum flies in from melbourne saturday so may have a problem with the time but will certainly try as god only knows I'm in no position to be turning potential friends away.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to - is it 12noon - my mum flies in from melbourne saturday so may have a problem with the time but will certainly try as god only knows I'm in no position to be turning potential friends away.
hi Jayne, yes from 12ish on Saturday. if u can make do, u will at least get a laugh and some of us might get your jokes too. but it might be that your patters rotten and thats why the Autralians dont find u funny
it would be nice to see u jayne, hope u make it

soapy
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=290735&page=1

Last edited by soapy©; Mar 31st 2005 at 9:28 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:23 pm
Merlot

x
Nice update, honest and real.

Good luck
Merlot