Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK House Prices experience biggest monthly drop in 10 years

UK House Prices experience biggest monthly drop in 10 years

Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK House Prices experience biggest monthly drop in 10 years

Hmmm - not nice reading for those of us thinking of or trying to sell up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4396061.stm
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:01 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK House Prices experience biggest monthly drop in 10 years

I know, trying not to think about it and just hope it's a "hiccup"
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:06 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridiej
I know, trying not to think about it and just hope it's a "hiccup"
Yup a bugger isn't it? Let's just hope it is just a hiccup indeed. Viewings are rolling in, but not an offer yet. :scared:
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Yup a bugger isn't it? Let's just hope it is just a hiccup indeed. Viewings are rolling in, but not an offer yet. :scared:
yes, i saw the scare mongerers gloating over this on bbc business news this morning. the bloke on there loves to dis the housing market to get in with his cronies in the city. well that's how i choose to see it. and besides, the 'sharp drop' was a whopping 0.06%. damn i've lost everything. we've all just been saying how quiet the market went over easter so its not that surprising. i refuse to be downhearted and send you all positive vibes.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:36 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

a gentle slow down can't be that bad - better that than a full on 1990's style crash. Houses are still selling, just not at a frenetic pace.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
a gentle slow down can't be that bad - better that than a full on 1990's style crash. Houses are still selling, just not at a frenetic pace.
Exactly, a friend who is an estate agent say's that the market in our area has picked up over easter. Let's just see what happens.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly, a friend who is an estate agent say's that the market in our area has picked up over easter. Let's just see what happens.
Estate agents will say whatever saves their parasitic behinds, turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

I believe the property market is now entering a full on crash, with 30% falls within the next year a very likely outcome. When houses treble in 6 years, yet wages only increase by 20%, then the maths do not stack up.

As I have stated before (yet now think it may be too late). If anyone here wishes to sell before mass panic sets in, then slash 20-30% of the stupidly inflated price given to you by unrealistic Estate agents. Otherwise many of you may still be on this board whinging over no buyers in a year or mores time.

A final note, for the sellers now whinging about not getting full asking price, just ask yourselves how much your house has "increased" and why a first time buyer at the bottom of the chain should saddle themselves with a unrealstically high mortgage (usually with parents money for large deposit) for a poxy rabbit hutch, in order to boost your bank balance?

The younger generation of buyers are waking up to the unfair con, tough luck for greedy vendors, the bubbles bursting!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:55 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Estate agents will say whatever saves their parasitic behinds, turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

I believe the property market is now entering a full on crash, with 30% falls within the next year a very likely outcome. When houses treble in 6 years, yet wages only increase by 20%, then the maths do not stack up.

As I have stated before (yet now think it may be too late). If anyone here wishes to sell before mass panic sets in, then slash 20-30% of the stupidly inflated price given to you by unrealistic Estate agents. Otherwise many of you may still be on this board whinging over no buyers in a year or mores time.

A final note, for the sellers now whinging about not getting full asking price, just ask yourselves how much your house has "increased" and why a first time buyer at the bottom of the chain should saddle themselves with a unrealstically high mortgage (usually with parents money for large deposit) for a poxy rabbit hutch, in order to boost your bank balance?

The younger generation of buyers are waking up to the unfair con, tough luck for greedy vendors, the bubbles bursting!
Your thoughts may be correct but there's a chance that you may be over-egging the figures.....

Some price predictions: 2005
#
CrystalCML: 4%
# Haart estate agents: 3-5%
# RICS: 3%
# Nationwide: 2%
# FPD Savills: 2% in 2005, 2.7% in 2006, 3.8% 2007
# CEBR: Up 1.3% in 2005, down six per cent in 2006 and down 2.7 per cent in 2007
# Halifax: -2%
# Capital Economics: Down seven per cent this year and by 20 per cent over the next two-and-a-half years.
# Barclays: Down 20% over next two years