Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ?

hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Jhon Krommer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ?

hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ? risky=I mean with too much crime
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Default Re: hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ?

I was searching in internet about cheap suburbs but it seem to be too risky ... are the western suburbs too risky ? I mean those away away to the west
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Default Re: hello , do you know a cheap suburb in sydney that is not too risky ?

I explain: I have read that in harris park were exploted a firebomb in a house and people are atacked near a main restaurant and that many people are robbed there ... so I have taken the impression that "cheap" suburbs have too much crime ... so do you know some one that is cheap but does not have much crime ?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

It depends what you are frightended of?

You could look at the stats but in reality they don't reveal much...I mean whats too much crime? I live in the inner west and feel very safe...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:27 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
It depends what you are frightended of?

You could look at the stats but in reality they don't reveal much...I mean whats too much crime? I live in the inner west and feel very safe...

Some of the outer western suburbs are like war zones apparently, akin to the huge sprawling council estates in the UK - Macquarie Fields being one that springs to mind having been in the news reasonably recently. Bankstown also springs up a lot as not being the most friendly of places.

Personally, I wouldn't go any further west than Strathfield, but that's just me. However, I guess it depends on how much you believe the hype and the doom and gloom.

I live next to Redfern and feel perfectly safe too.

S
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:47 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Having lived in Sydney before moving to Melbourne I would have to say that there is no such animal as a cheap suburb in Sydney.

It also depends on how you define cheap. Your cheap could be my expensive.

As for risk...

When I attended Sydney University there was a bit of a gang war and baddies were being shot just up the road in Newtown.

Here in Melbourne we had a bit of clearing out a couple of years ago with the bad guys knocking each other off. We had one murder two suburbs away and three more the same distance away in the other direction.

When we lived in the UK the police were finding murdered children dumped about three miles away.

There is going to be risk anywhere, but you are more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle accident than witness hoodlums taking potshots at each other, or you for that matter.

I doubt whether the risk of a MVA will stop you driving.

Cheers,

Les
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
Having lived in Sydney before moving to Melbourne I would have to say that there is no such animal as a cheap suburb in Sydney.

It also depends on how you define cheap. Your cheap could be my expensive.

As for risk...

When I attended Sydney University there was a bit of a gang war and baddies were being shot just up the road in Newtown.

Here in Melbourne we had a bit of clearing out a couple of years ago with the bad guys knocking each other off. We had one murder two suburbs away and three more the same distance away in the other direction.

When we lived in the UK the police were finding murdered children dumped about three miles away.

There is going to be risk anywhere, but you are more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle accident than witness hoodlums taking potshots at each other, or you for that matter.

I doubt whether the risk of a MVA will stop you driving.

Cheers,

Les

No, I think it's you - you are the common theme in all those stories you posted!

I'm not moving to Melbourne now!

S
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Some bloke killed in a unit in Bondi a few weeks back after a fight broke out in a pub in Bondi Junction, but it's still not cheap to live there!

I live in the eastern suburbs but have relations out west around Eastwood, Strathfield, Homebush direction and they seem like fine areas with quite cheap rents to be had.

So among the dodgy western suburbs there are nice western suburbs too..
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Define "cheap" for us and we'll be able to provide some sensible suggestions.