Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello from Auckland!

Hello from Auckland!

Old May 3rd 2003, 6:12 am
Just Joined

bigblueboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Auckland!

Hello all! This is my first posting, so please be gentle with me!
I discovered this site a few days ago, and have been reading it since. Finally decided to post a few words myself. I'm currently in Auckland, been here about 15 months. I have to be honest and say that daily I go through about fifteen different emotions, asking myself if is was a good decision or not....sometimes yes, sometimes no...sometimes frustration or disappoinment, othertimes happiness. Feel very confused alot of the time...
There are aspects of life that I enjoy here, don't get me wrong, but there are also aspects that I think are quite a big step backwards for me, compared to the opportunities job wise I had in the UK (I work in IT, quite a broad compass over here!)
partly its homesickness I guess, but also an appreciation of the life i had back in the UK, and the difference in the standard of living, access to the wider world etc. Still puzzling out what to do. Will certainly stay longer, see if I settle down and take it from there.
Got to go now, will post more another time maybe
Thanks for listening...
Old May 3rd 2003, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello from Auckland!

Originally posted by bigblueboo
I discovered this site a few days ago, and have been reading it since. Finally decided to post a few words myself. I'm currently in Auckland, been here about 15 months. I have to be honest and say that daily I go through about fifteen different emotions, asking myself if is was a good decision or not....sometimes yes, sometimes no...sometimes frustration or disappoinment, othertimes happiness. Feel very confused alot of the time...
There are aspects of life that I enjoy here, don't get me wrong, but there are also aspects that I think are quite a big step backwards for me, compared to the opportunities job wise I had in the UK (I work in IT, quite a broad compass over here!)
partly its homesickness I guess, but also an appreciation of the life i had back in the UK, and the difference in the standard of living, access to the wider world etc. Still puzzling out what to do. Will certainly stay longer, see if I settle down and take it from there.
Thanks for listening...

hi there thanks for posting!

i think it is understandable to have a mixture of emotions after such a big move. also Auckland is such a big city i reckon it might be harder to feel 'at home' there than maybe somewhere smaller.(just my opinion) do you have any family with you or have you left everyone behind? i hope things pick up for you but if not and you do go home then it's better to have the expereince in your back pocket than go through life wondering what new zealnd would have been like!!

all the best either way and please keep in touch with this forum - we all appreciate views from the other side and even the negative ones help to keep us grounded!!
Old May 3rd 2003, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you settle in....I have freinds in Epsom and Devonport. All the best with your new life and hope it works out in Auckland.
Old May 3rd 2003, 11:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

partly its homesickness I guess, but also an appreciation of the life i had back in the UK, and the difference in the standard of living, access to the wider world etc.
Hi bigblueboo - welcome to the board! Care to tell us a bit more about the +ives and -ives as you see it?

Cheers - Don
Old May 3rd 2003, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for listening...
Hi Bigblueboo

I'm also in Auckland (been here 2.5yrs now) so know what you're going through. At first I found it can be a bit difficult to meet new people, especially if you live out in suburbia! It does get easier, believe me! For me, the worst things about auckland are traffic congestion & parking in the city centre (took me 50 mins to get from newmarket to home in the CBD on friday!! normally only takes 5-6 mins!) If you're finding Auckland a bit tough going, have you considered Wellington, or maybe Christchurch? About 6 months ago I was seriously considering wellington - in the end it never happened though - I also work in IT, & the vast majority of contracts are up in akl

Incidentally - if anyone one the forum in Auckland (or anywhere else for that matter..all invited!) is keen to meet up for a few drinks somewhere, I'd be keen to do this - a large group of essex guys and gals met up recently & I think quite a few in Perth have done the same. This doesn't seem to happen in NZ - if people are interested, reply to the thread or PM me & we'll sort something out

All the best

Russ
Old May 3rd 2003, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad that you say you'll stay longer. I think it's quite a big step but you have to give it a chance and, to me, that means 2 to 3 years. If we end up making it, we've decided to stick it out for 3 years and get our citizenship, before we make any decision to return.