Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers

Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers

Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:20 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers

Originally Posted by pomref
Wont make much differencein with regard to licence, only help you will have is if you had been driving for a company for five years and you have a referee letter from them for employers, a lot of jobs here ask for 2 years experience etc.
My friend has the same problem here in the UK, spend 2.5k on a license, thats the easy part, trying to get work in the UK is the hard part.

They say there is a shortage og LGV drivers, i guess there is not. They do not look at you unless you have had your license two years with some driving experience.

Is this the same in OZ, how much does it cost to get your HGV/LGV license in OZ?

But you have to start somewhere????????

Last edited by Nursebank; Sep 26th 2007 at 9:26 am.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nursebank
My friend has the same problem here in the UK, spend 2.5k on a license, thats the easy part, trying to get work in the UK is the hard part.

They say there is a shortage og LGV drivers, i guess there is not. They do not look at you unless you have had your license two years with some driving experience.

Is this the same in OZ, how much does it cost to get your HGV/LGV license in OZ?

But you have to start somewhere????????
Its the same here but the added diffence is you have to pass an insurance test.

I was told that firms have to give your licence number and details to there insurance company who then decide if the company can employ you as well.

Iv also seen a lot of 5years expence in job advert,s as well.

Im a member of the Australian TWU, and read about the shortage of drivers ,But really it should be a shortage of expenced drivers.

In the UK its the same if you just got your licence its going to be hard to walk into a firm but, I know of some UK driving agencies who employ new drivers and thats a good way of getting experience.

Thats not the same here the Agencies want experience but you got more chance getting a job direct with a firm.

If you really want to do it you can I started out, It was the same I had my UK class one at 21years and 2 months old, I ended up at a general Haulage firm who nobody want to work for ie dirty work and hard, they took me on and it was like an HGV drivers aperentiship, taught me ever thing had to state off on forkliff, then i was made a shunter, then I was sent out with small loads after some time I was a fully compentant HGV driver so when I was 25 I was the youngest driver on the firm who did ever thing so my point is.....you got to take a chance and just do it
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

The cost's here are simular to that of the UK, its not cheap and you still have to take and pass a road test.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:08 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Its the same here but the added diffence is you have to pass an insurance test.

I was told that firms have to give your licence number and details to there insurance company who then decide if the company can employ you as well.

Iv also seen a lot of 5years expence in job advert,s as well.

Im a member of the Australian TWU, and read about the shortage of drivers ,But really it should be a shortage of expenced drivers.

In the UK its the same if you just got your licence its going to be hard to walk into a firm but, I know of some UK driving agencies who employ new drivers and thats a good way of getting experience.

Thats not the same here the Agencies want experience but you got more chance getting a job direct with a firm.

If you really want to do it you can I started out, It was the same I had my UK class one at 21years and 2 months old, I ended up at a general Haulage firm who nobody want to work for ie dirty work and hard, they took me on and it was like an HGV drivers aperentiship, taught me ever thing had to state off on forkliff, then i was made a shunter, then I was sent out with small loads after some time I was a fully compentant HGV driver so when I was 25 I was the youngest driver on the firm who did ever thing so my point is.....you got to take a chance and just do it

Great Reply, thanks very much. Its not me, my friends husband recently was looking for a new start, redundent, but likes driving, so thought LGV here in the UK. My friend, his wife is a nurse, so planning to emigrate, but is it worth shelling out 2.5k in the UK, 2.5k in Oz, still with no work, he is touching 40.

Its a tough one, does he do nothing, get other work?

Pass in the UK, then pass in OZ?

Just pass in OZ, and hope he gets work? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:23 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Is it worth taking and passing your LGV in the UK, just to say you have it when you go to OZ.

I understand you have to re-take re-pass your test in OZ, but would it benefit you in anyway, to take it and pass it first in the UK?

I suppose what i am asking is, when you arrive in OZ, is it worth having your UK LGV license in any way. Or does it make no difference at all as you have to completely start a new license application for your LGV in OZ?

BTW, the cost to take and pass the UK Class 1 and 2 license is around £2500.00? If it does not benefit you in anyway then its a bit of a waste of a cost which represents a substantial amount?
To be onnest it is a wast of time and money to take your test in the UK before you leave for OZ, I have been driving in the UK since 1990 and i left in 2006 but when i got here i had to retrain in a old crash box and sit a written and the an hour driving test, then after that the big companies that pay good money want two years driving in OZ and then they want you to do a driving assessment with one of their own in house drivers before they will give you a job, as before if you want to work 2weeks on and then four days off driving the trucks in the mines you can get $38.00 per hour to start
any other questions you want to ask then please do
all the best with you new life in oz
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:54 am
Just Joined

amygroom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trevski
To be onnest it is a wast of time and money to take your test in the UK before you leave for OZ, I have been driving in the UK since 1990 and i left in 2006 but when i got here i had to retrain in a old crash box and sit a written and the an hour driving test, then after that the big companies that pay good money want two years driving in OZ and then they want you to do a driving assessment with one of their own in house drivers before they will give you a job, as before if you want to work 2weeks on and then four days off driving the trucks in the mines you can get $38.00 per hour to start
We are looking to come to Oz as quick as possible. My partner is HGV 1 driver in Uk. Would he be able to use his experience for a reference or does it have to be Oz experience?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amygroom
We are looking to come to Oz as quick as possible. My partner is HGV 1 driver in Uk. Would he be able to use his experience for a reference or does it have to be Oz experience?
The British Reference is most inportant, try and get two typed or hand written old fashioned Reference's from someone who owns the firm or a MD senior transport manger etc.

This will be your basis for your work experience. If you goto a firm and say I drove semi trailers in the UK for 10 years heres my References your half way into a job.

Australian Driver agaencys will follow up your References but if you pass there assment then the firms will be happy employing you on there reconmandation.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Great Reply, thanks very much. Its not me, my friends husband recently was looking for a new start, redundent, but likes driving, so thought LGV here in the UK. My friend, his wife is a nurse, so planning to emigrate, but is it worth shelling out 2.5k in the UK, 2.5k in Oz, still with no work, he is touching 40.

Its a tough one, does he do nothing, get other work?

Pass in the UK, then pass in OZ?

Just pass in OZ, and hope he gets work? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks again.
Its not so much the cost of the licence he needs experience, also If oz doesn't work out a oz truck licence cant be used in the UK.

The option is while in the UK I would try get him into using his 7.5Ton licence its a small lorry licence issued to most UK full licence holds pre 1997.

even if he has to goto a truck school for half a day to be show how to drive the small lorry and do his tacho etc.

then try employemnt agencies say I had a reserher and see if thry can find him work.

If you know any body who is a lorry driver get him to go out with them watch them drive ,how they unload load up trucks etc this will help him learn stuff.

Its better to get some small experience now then turn up here in Australia with nothing, All an HGV Driver school will teach is how to drive the lorry, thats it.

now after some good work experience im sure he will make up his mind to go for his CAT C class 2 or not in the UK.

remember if he come's back to the UK he can still use it his licence but an Australian Truck licence will not get him an UK HGV.

My ansewer is not the money side get his arase out now and starting learning what he can I remember in WHSmith's should find a whole load of good HGV books written by ex lorry driver's, department of transport stuff very good as well.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevski
Thanks, thanks very much a great reply, very honest, no bullsh!t, i like that.

Seems to me, if you ain't staying here in the UK, then the 2.5k will be a waste of money spent. Also the UK driving experience will not get you a job either. Seems to me its best to get as much 7.5 ton experience while here in the UK, get a reference for the 7.5 ton driving work, as it is comercial driving work? So earn a few bob, and save yourself 2.5k?

Thanks for the reply.

Its not so much the cost of the licence he needs experience, also If oz doesn't work out a oz truck licence cant be used in the UK.

The option is while in the UK I would try get him into using his 7.5Ton licence its a small lorry licence issued to most UK full licence holds pre 1997.

even if he has to goto a truck school for half a day to be show how to drive the small lorry and do his tacho etc.

then try employemnt agencies say I had a reserher and see if thry can find him work.

If you know any body who is a lorry driver get him to go out with them watch them drive ,how they unload load up trucks etc this will help him learn stuff.

Its better to get some small experience now then turn up here in Australia with nothing, All an HGV Driver school will teach is how to drive the lorry, thats it.

now after some good work experience im sure he will make up his mind to go for his CAT C class 2 or not in the UK.

remember if he come's back to the UK he can still use it his licence but an Australian Truck licence will not get him an UK HGV.

My ansewer is not the money side get his arase out now and starting learning what he can I remember in WHSmith's should find a whole load of good HGV books written by ex lorry driver's, department of transport stuff very good as well.
Thanks for your fantastic honest reply aswell, i will tell him to get out and do some 7.5 ton work. He can do his tacho lessons first, get some experience, and try and get a reference etc?

To me it seems, if you plan to stay in OZ, then spend the 2.5k in OZ, rather than, spending 2.5k in the UK, and still be driving 7.5 ton in the UK as no one will touch you?

Cheers Gents, very kind of you, but i do have a soft spot for a trucker!