Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heating in Australia

Wikiposts

Heating in Australia

Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Heating in Australia

I have a really stupid question But I just have to ask.

We have lived in our new house for about 4 months now. We have ducted air conditioning, but I'm not sure if it will heat as well?

On the touchpad I can choose heat and up the temperature, but I'm not sure if I should assume it will work (I hope it does though). Would that mean there's a furnace hooked up somewhere?

So..... when putting in ducted air is it normal to also have heat?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:13 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We have evaporative. The guy we bought from tried to tell us that if you ran it with just the fan on in winter it had a mild heating effect. I didn't believe him of course, but when I found out he was a used car salesman I wasn't surprised at all. Now if I can just find that pot of gold he told me is hidden somewhere in the garden... I hope I find it soon or we will have a hole big enough for a second pool where I have been digging.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I have a really stupid question But I just have to ask.

We have lived in our new house for about 4 months now. We have ducted air conditioning, but I'm not sure if it will heat as well?

On the touchpad I can choose heat and up the temperature, but I'm not sure if I should assume it will work (I hope it does though). Would that mean there's a furnace hooked up somewhere?

So..... when putting in ducted air is it normal to also have heat?
Some do, Hayley. Give it a try. It's not a furnace like you would be used to from Canada, but the rental we had in ADL had reverse cycle and it really did warm the house nicely.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:31 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
...So..... when putting in ducted air is it normal to also have heat?
Almost no one has cooling only installed these days... the difference in price is almost nothing... Give it a go and see what happens...!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice... I shall keep my hopes up

I don't think I'll bother trying it until about June though!!! Feels a bit silly to see if you can warm up your house in the middle of summer

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Gas fired ducted heating, electric A/C and dehumidification.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Tell me more ! I need this !

Originally Posted by Wol
dehumidification.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:06 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Tell me more ! I need this !
Not rocket science! Since A/C reduces the amount of water vapour in the air by cooling the air below the dewpoint - and draining it to outside - the overall effect is to lower the relative humidity. Since high humidity is actually more uncomfortable than a high temperature on it's own that makes the house more pleasant.

So I specified a hygrostat in parallel with the thermostat - it merely switches the A/C when the humidity goes above whatever you dial in. You can wind up the thermostat to 100° and just let the hygrostat (humidistat) do the switching.

We had the same thing in the USA and our A/C bills were a third of our neighbours'.

Just don't get me onto how our "licenced installer" hadn't a clue about humidistats, how to wire them up or how to use them. To him it *was* rocket science <g>.