Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heathridge, Perth

Heathridge, Perth

Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heathridge, Perth

HI

We'll likely be moving out of our furnished rental at the end of January and
will be looking for somewhere to buy, or more likely, rent long term.
When looking through the various real estate mags, it seems that the house
prices and rentals are lower in Heathridge than the surrounding suburbs, is there any reason for this?
Have only passed through during the day on route to Ocean Reef and we couldn't see any obvious reason as to why the prices would be lower.

Any advice appreciated

Steve
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathridge, Perth

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
HI

We'll likely be moving out of our furnished rental at the end of January and
will be looking for somewhere to buy, or more likely, rent long term.
When looking through the various real estate mags, it seems that the house
prices and rentals are lower in Heathridge than the surrounding suburbs, is there any reason for this?
Have only passed through during the day on route to Ocean Reef and we couldn't see any obvious reason as to why the prices would be lower.

Any advice appreciated

Steve
Historically Heathridge, Craigie and Beldon have all been cheaper than their surrounding suburbs. I am just opposite Heathridge on the other side of Hodges Drive and the price differences are staggering. I drive through regularly and many of my kids friends live there. It just needs a bit of TLC in my book and could be considered a good place for an investment.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Historically Heathridge, Craigie and Beldon have all been cheaper than their surrounding suburbs. I am just opposite Heathridge on the other side of Hodges Drive and the price differences are staggering. I drive through regularly and many of my kids friends live there. It just needs a bit of TLC in my book and could be considered a good place for an investment.
So it doesn't have a particular problem with crime, antisocial behavior etc. etc.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:17 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

These suburbs do have a reputation for anti-social behaviour, hence the lower house prices and rentals.

All too often they're mentioned as the place of residence when some hoons have been rounded up, or a stash of stolen goods has been found.

P.S. Why does a British website have an American spellchecker? It suggests “behavior” instead of “behaviour”!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalenge
P.S. Why does a British website have an American spellchecker? It suggests “behavior” instead of “behaviour”!
I thought I had the right spelling
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:45 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
It isn't a British website! It's an American website !

Gina
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

I live in Heathridge.

The only issue I can see is some people dont seem to look after their front gardens which make some streets look shabby. These are either people who simply dont give a stuff or physically can't do the gardening to HomeWest properties (like council houses except HomesWest just buy regular houses).

We've not had real issues (once I find the person who lets their dog crap on my front lawn that is !) and people we know in other suburbs such as Carramar, Tapping, Clarkson etc seem to have had far worse problems in the short time we've all been here (loud parties, people p**sing on their front lawns, mini-motors, hoons - stuff like that), I guess it all depends on the people around you.

Prices differ for a number of reasons, bear in mind in Ocean Reef your paying a premium to be that close to the Indian Ocean - simple as that really. OR has its fair share of problems (used to rent there) such as graffiti, home & commercial theft, hoons etc.

Most people tend to live where they can afford and sometimes it's a no-brainer. We bought a 4 x 2 on a fairly large 780 sqm block in Heathridge for around $200k less than the same style house/land in Ocean Reef would've cost us. Son still goes to Ocean Reef Senior High and were not kept awake with the roar of the ocean everynight (it gets quite loud if you've a clear view to the ocean) and we still go to the beach when we like (although we have to drive now instead of walk).
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by filcomm
I live in Heathridge.

The only issue I can see is some people dont seem to look after their front gardens which make some streets look shabby. These are either people who simply dont give a stuff or physically can't do the gardening to HomeWest properties (like council houses except HomesWest just buy regular houses).

We've not had real issues (once I find the person who lets their dog crap on my front lawn that is !) and people we know in other suburbs such as Carramar, Tapping, Clarkson etc seem to have had far worse problems in the short time we've all been here (loud parties, people p**sing on their front lawns, mini-motors, hoons - stuff like that), I guess it all depends on the people around you.

Prices differ for a number of reasons, bear in mind in Ocean Reef your paying a premium to be that close to the Indian Ocean - simple as that really. OR has its fair share of problems (used to rent there) such as graffiti, home & commercial theft, hoons etc.

Most people tend to live where they can afford and sometimes it's a no-brainer. We bought a 4 x 2 on a fairly large 780 sqm block in Heathridge for around $200k less than the same style house/land in Ocean Reef would've cost us. Son still goes to Ocean Reef Senior High and were not kept awake with the roar of the ocean everynight (it gets quite loud if you've a clear view to the ocean) and we still go to the beach when we like (although we have to drive now instead of walk).
I actually think Heathridge is under valued.
You can get a decent house for a really good price, just take a good look around!